Neon Genesis Evangelion Review

BlackJack313

Aug 30, 2009
I know its quite old but I finished watching it & reading manga for the second time (first watched it 4 years ago) so I thought I would give it a bit of a review. Some parts here may seem a bit odd, I am going more off the manga than the anime (but I have seen the entire anime as well as the redone ending). I will just be referring to Neon Genesis Evangelion as NGE throughout this review (rather than typing it out). Without further ado, lets start from the beginning.

The first episode is usually a key episode in any anime series. NGE was no exception, the first episode hits the ground running in a way. The quickly establish Shinji as one of the main characters as he is walking through Tokyo-3 waiting for Misato (another main character who is introduced not to long after). The episode revolves around a sudden "angel" (equivelant of evil monster wanting to destroy city) appearance in Tokyo-3 and Shinji actualy Piloting an Eva (robot, sorta) and fighting the angel.

The series itself actually goes on in a decent matter, getting better and more compelling for the most part. More is actually explained behind the complex relationship (if you could call it that) between Shinji and his dad.

I know I have left out a lot of information regarding the characters themselves and the development of them, but I would rather leave that a surprise for those who have not seen it. I will say this, the character development is very well done. Most of the characters you meet throughout the series you understand relatively quickly (putting aside a few main characters) which really made the show a lot more entertaining.

A lot of the show revolves around symbolism, which in the last few episodes is shoved down our throats. Whilst I do understand a lot of the intricate references made throughout the series, it really does come to a very depressing end when the series closes off. If you are reading this and have seen the last 2 episodes of the series you will understand what I mean.

If you have any questions/constructive criticism feel free to let me know.
My overall recommendation for the series: Rent it

Whilst the series does go off to a great start, the end is really disappointing and a big letdown.

Edits:
This section is what has been put in after some user feedback.

Character Development:
This is one area NGE does very well I found. Eventually a lot was backstory was given for all of the main characters.
Spoiler regarding Character development:
I was really pissed off how they kill off rei, but then just bring in a clone, it seemed like they wasted a shitload of time with the character development between her and Shinji.

Another character in this position was Toji, one of Shinji's friends. They make him a pilot once and they have Shinji kill him. This made NO sense at all. What were they thinking? Next thing you know, they will kill of Asuka.....oh wait, they practically did in the end by putting her in the equivelant of a coma!

Sound/Music:
The sound effects and music where another highlight of the series. It was all very well done and set the mood for many scenes. I haven't seen the dubbed version of NGE so I can't review that side of it.

Symbolism:
Ok this section is hard to talk about without a fair bit of spoilers. You have been warned:
Where do I start.....well, Rei is lillith (this isn't really directly told but more percieved). Even the dead sea scrolls are mentioned, it seems like at times this series relied more on symbolism than actual quality content.

Skyfall

Mar 15, 2009
I agree with what you say completely. Something about Evangelion never sat right with me. I know it was a more philosophical anime (especially in one particular episode) but it confused the heck out of me. Also since I was watching the original Japanese release with english subs, some of the translations..were..intriguing. I distinctly remember that they managed to fit in the line "torrents of ardent and pathos" into the opening theme songs.

Now you know you got trouble when "torrents of ardent and pathos" is spewed out at the very start.

BlackJack313

Aug 30, 2009
Skyfall said:
I agree with what you say completely. Something about Evangelion never sat right with me. I know it was a more philosophical anime (especially in one particular episode) but it confused the heck out of me. Also since I was watching the original Japanese release with english subs, some of the translations..were..intriguing. I distinctly remember that they managed to fit in the line "torrents of ardent and pathos" into the opening theme songs.

Now you know you got trouble when "torrents of ardent and pathos" is spewed out at the very start.
I haven't actually seen the dubbed version, I might look into it, maybe parts of the story are told a little differently. I wasn't confused with the final episodoes so much, the part which irritated me most (i can't remember if it was in the anime but it was in the manga) was when Shinji was stuck in the Eva for a month, that was retarded! (I know part of it was meant to be his subconcious and the afterlife but still, it seemed like it was hinting at what the finale was going to be like (I knew things were headed for a strange direction when Shinji saw "Adam", the first angel hidden at the bottom of nerv).

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Review was a little short i thought, you could go into more depth when trying to convince people. Otherwise good.

BlackJack313

Aug 30, 2009
deadman91 said:
Review was a little short i thought, you could go into more depth when trying to convince people. Otherwise good.
Thanks for the feedback :) what do you think I should go into more depth about? (I can edit it and elaborate on it :p)

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
BlackJack313 said:
deadman91 said:
Thanks for the feedback :) what do you think I should go into more depth about? (I can edit it and elaborate on it :p)
Style, more on characters, sound (e.g, dubs as good as subs, does the music work etc), the symbolism was good but you could have mentioned more. I know your trying to keep from spoiling it for those who haven't watched it, but I think it is possible to mention more. Maybe the occasional spoiler warning whenever you mention something with plot in it could help. I may be sounding a bit like a dick, but i hope it helps.

klakkat

May 24, 2008
While there was a lot of symbolism, almost all of it was about as subtle as a cudgel to the head. Truth be told, there wasn't a single character that didn't annoy me somehow, with Shinji being the biggest offender in that respect. The ONE time I had any respect for him is when he when berserk, but everyone seemed to think that was a bad thing (oh no, he's combat-effective for the first time in his god-damned life! whatever shall we do?).

Unless you're a true anime fan, I wouldn't recommend watching it, you won't be missing much. If you do consider yourself an anime fan, go ahead and rent it; odds are you'll either love it or hate it; take appropriate action as the case may be.

BlackJack313

Aug 30, 2009
deadman91 said:
BlackJack313 said:
deadman91 said:
Style, more on characters, sound (e.g, dubs as good as subs, does the music work etc), the symbolism was good but you could have mentioned more. I know your trying to keep from spoiling it for those who haven't watched it, but I think it is possible to mention more. Maybe the occasional spoiler warning whenever you mention something with plot in it could help. I may be sounding a bit like a dick, but i hope it helps.
I will work on the review a bit. I know what you mean, I can't review the dubbing side of it as I have only seen the subtitled version. (Check the review itself for changes soon :p) (i am going to add a bit more information put in spoiler tags)

klakkat said:
While there was a lot of symbolism, almost all of it was about as subtle as a cudgel to the head. Truth be told, there wasn't a single character that didn't annoy me somehow, with Shinji being the biggest offender in that respect. The ONE time I had any respect for him is when he when berserk, but everyone seemed to think that was a bad thing (oh no, he's combat-effective for the first time in his god-damned life! whatever shall we do?).

Unless you're a true anime fan, I wouldn't recommend watching it, you won't be missing much. If you do consider yourself an anime fan, go ahead and rent it; odds are you'll either love it or hate it; take appropriate action as the case may be.
I think each character was meant to have their perks, which at times got downright annoying. Shinji's constant whinging comes to mind. I didn't really get in teh first episode how he raises a legitimate point against his own dad and no one would even support him. As the series progressed they sorta made Shinji more human I guess (well, until near the end).

Rei was confusing untill the end
Spoiler Alert:
I was really pissed off how they kill off rei, but then just bring in a clone, it seemed like they wasted a shitload of time with the character development between her and Shinji

Depending on your understanding on what the hell was going on, the series can be a real mindfuck. Some people may find the series to depp, others may find it downright irritating. I just found it good, untill the last few episodes. NGE really is a love it or hate it anime, there isn't much of an in-between for it I guess.

Ninja_X

Aug 9, 2009
I see alot of you missing the whole point of Neon Genesis Evangelion, so let me spell it out as best I can before I fall asleep.

The battle between the angels and the human pilots are a great big metaphor. You have to look past the Angels, giant robots and freaky physiological stuff.

It represents the internal conflict many Japanese school children face. The pressure to succeed, the pressure not to disappoint the parents ect. Japanese society is very demanding of its young people its school system is extreamly demanding and competitive and how well you do in this harsh enviorment can mean worlds of difference in their future. Neon Genesis Evengelion symbolizes that societal pressure. Its an enormous issue in Japanese society, so american and British audiences may not get it.

Heck putting Shinji in the cockpit of unit 001 and expecting him to fight the angel for the good of mankind is one of the first examples of a metaphorical representation of how everyday Japanese school children are expected to study day and night in order to compete in a very demanding school system. In short Shinji being suddenly expected to risk his life piloting a giant robot where his every slightest move can mean the difference between life or death is exactly how many Japanese students feel about school where they are all expected to perform at their best for the good of the country and where failure is not acceptable.

The different characters symbolize different aspects of this conflict.

Shinji's situation is that he wants desperately for his father to accept and acknowledge him but knows that for some reason or another he has failed in his fathers eyes. He is brought in at the beginning, not because his father wants him back but because he wants to use Shinji to fight the angels. Shinji is nothing more than a tool to his father and that is how many of Ja[an's students feel about their relationships to their parents. Shinji's personality is angsty and hesitant, the very picture of neurotic depression. He is the main character and focal point of the series and needs to bear the entirety of the emotional burden. He has become dissilusioned with life, his mother dead and his father considers him nothing more than a tool. On top of that he is expected to pilot Eva and fight the angels or millions of people will die. He represents all the emotional turbulence and heartache felt by many of Japans young people. He hates his life, he hates having to shoulder a great burden that he did not ask for. Shinji's place in the series is to be the face for all the pain and hearache suffered by so many people because of great societal pressure to do ridiculous things.

While Shinji represents the hopelessness and failure in Japanese youth, the girls represent the price of achieving a greater degree of success.

Asuka is a genius. She is a confident over achiever. She pushes herself to the limit to alwase be the best she can be (again in order to gain the love and attention of a parent) , she has a collage degree, she is an amazing pilot and the picture of the perfect little girl around her superiors. This picture of perfection cannot be true however and she lets her true self out only around the other children. You see when the relationship with her mother is explained that because of the pressure she exerts on herself she is really an emotional wreak. Her mind eventually snaps under all the pressure when is is all brought to bear on her when she goes battles the orbiting angel herself and it forces her to relive everything in her head causing her pain. And example of how the perfection demanded by society is unrealistic and that any nrmal person will not be able to handle it all.

Rei is different. She is quiet and plain, she does what she is told and never complains. She achieves high marks and pilots well but never boasts, brags or anything and above all she honors her "father" Gendou Ikari. She is the picture of perfection and quiet dignity. She is the steryotypical perfect Japanese school girl. She is, quite appropriately a cloned human brought up by Seal in order to do nothing but combat the angels. She is mad from the ground up, to be exactly what is needed and nothing else. She starts as nothing more than what they need her to be, she does exactly what she is told in order to complete the mission, giveing little to nor regard for her own life, knowing that if she died there would be "replacements". The basic concept behind her character is that only thru deadening what is human and flawed about a peron can they archive the absurd level of perfection society demands.

I could go into more detail, but its 4 in the mourning and I got a headache. But trust me, Neon Genesis Evangelion is an elaborate criticism of the huge pressure placed on Japanese school kids to succeed at any cost, some even losing their childhood in order to prepare for the inevitable highly challenging school system.

Hideki Anno does several other works that approach the teen school kid story in a slightly different way, but Neon Genesis Evangelion is the only one to use such a complex metaphor.

Many of you in America and Europe are just not going to be able to understand it very well becuse of the great difference in culture, but I think I know what I am talking about.

BlackJack313

Aug 30, 2009
I was reviewing it from the perspective most people will take on the series.

I not once even considered it related to pressure for children to succeed at school (as the pressure is actually put on them in a few episodes when Asuka, Shinji and Misato go on vacation and she makes them study as they failed a few exams). Even relating it to that downright makes the series boring for me. I enjoyed the symbolism between life, death, the afterlife, the subconsciousness, existence and so on.

I just never looked at it as something completely and utterly unrelated. On a side note, the pressure to succeed is not just on Japanese school kids. School kids everywhere face the exact same pressure from their parents. I have been through school, been through the pressure and i think if this was designed to portray the ideals of the pressure to succeed, then it is really exaggerating it. Japanese kids aren't the only ones put under immense pressure by their parents, it happens everywhere around the world.

The fact is, 99% of people watching the series will not even consider that, hence how this review was based. I enjoyed the series for the most part regardless if it was meant to be a metaphor for that or not.

I felt the series was more about looking at our very existence. I felt it was more about what are we, why are we really here, what is our actual reason for existing (the last few episodes which focus on the subconscious seemed to look into this direction).

Ninja_X

Aug 9, 2009
BlackJack313 said:
I was reviewing it from the perspective most people will take on the series.

I not once even considered it related to pressure for children to succeed at school (as the pressure is actually put on them in a few episodes when Asuka, Shinji and Misato go on vacation and she makes them study as they failed a few exams). Even relating it to that downright makes the series boring for me. I enjoyed the symbolism between life, death, the afterlife, the subconsciousness, existence and so on.

I just never looked at it as something completely and utterly unrelated. On a side note, the pressure to succeed is not just on Japanese school kids. School kids everywhere face the exact same pressure from their parents. I have been through school, been through the pressure and i think if this was designed to portray the ideals of the pressure to succeed, then it is really exaggerating it. Japanese kids aren't the only ones put under immense pressure by their parents, it happens everywhere around the world.

The fact is, 99% of people watching the series will not even consider that, hence how this review was based. I enjoyed the series for the most part regardless if it was meant to be a metaphor for that or not.

I felt the series was more about looking at our very existence. I felt it was more about what are we, why are we really here, what is our actual reason for existing (the last few episodes which focus on the subconscious seemed to look into this direction).
Like i said, I'll go more into it later.

You'll get it when I explain it better,

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think you also need to look at the 3 female characters in regard to Shinji. Misato is the mother figure who always supports him, but there by not forcing him to stand on his own two feet.
Rei is the fantasy figure who will do pretty much what ever she's told with complete disregard for her own life. But that means that she has no will of her own. She has emotions and fears, but lacks the will to express them.
Asuka represents the reality of woman, she's very much in your face and hostile. This is what makes her the right person for Shinji to be around. The scene in End of Evangelion when Shinji is crying for people to love him and to not hurt him, Asuka looks at him with distain and says no. Normally in a case like this Shinji would've walked away defeated, but he didn't. He lunged at Asuka and started choking her not allowing her to insult him anymore. Asuka just drives Shinji into a corner untill he's got no other choice but break out and assert himself.

I LOVE this show and it's probably the best anime I've ever seen. But I can see why some people might hate it.

BlackJack313

Aug 30, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I think you also need to look at the 3 female characters in regard to Shinji. Misato is the mother figure who always supports him, but there by not forcing him to stand on his own two feet.
Rei is the fantasy figure who will do pretty much what ever she's told with complete disregard for her own life. But that means that she has no will of her own. She has emotions and fears, but lacks the will to express them.
Asuka represents the reality of woman, she's very much in your face and hostile. This is what makes her the right person for Shinji to be around. The scene in End of Evangelion when Shinji is crying for people to love him and to not hurt him, Asuka looks at him with distain and says no. Normally in a case like this Shinji would've walked away defeated, but he didn't. He lunged at Asuka and started choking her not allowing her to insult him anymore. Asuka just drives Shinji into a corner untill he's got no other choice but break out and assert himself.

I LOVE this show and it's probably the best anime I've ever seen. But I can see why some people might hate it.
Agreed I also found it one of the best anime's I've ever seen. I know what you mean with the 3 main female characters. Misato took Sinji in (much like a mother figure). The thing with Rei is, that she filled in this void in Shinji which had been missing since his mum died and she slowly developed some emotion and somewhat feeling towards Shinji (I think a few scenes from the manga were not used in the anime, or i don't remember them). There was a sccene in the manga where Rei shows Shinji this area of Nerv and talks about each time he touched her (1st time, she felt nothing, 2nd time, she felt disgusted, 3rd time, the felt safe (when she burnt her hand), 4th time, she felt happy and she asked him to hold her hand once more). Whilst it may seem trivial, it was a big step forward for her character.
Until they killed her off, which was a real waste of developing such an intricate personality around her

Asuka is an interesting character, who seems to have a very split personality. She feels the need to be independent and treated like an adult whilst she is very confused about herself. I think she is really a figure who moved Shinji's character in a different direction as a bit of a reality check (unlike Rei and Misato which moved Shinji's character in an emotional sense).

As I said in my review, the character construction done throughout this series is brilliant and really well done. It really depends on the your personal taste. I really enjoyed the series for the most part, I will probably pick up the dvd's soon, but I wouldn't really recommend it as a fist anime to experience as it may seem too deep for many people.

MagicMouse

Dec 31, 2009
This was one of the best animes I have seen. Until the last 2 episodes of course. I'm STILL not sure what happened in the end and I watched both post movies.

Can someone tell me if the instrumentality project succeeded or failed? It would give me some closure on the story.

jehuty65

Jul 5, 2010
Well this series is my bread and butter. But I do agree with your review about the original series. If you haven't got a chance to yet I do recomend the Rebuild of Evangelion movies that have come out as they help make things a little easier to understand.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
MagicMouse said:
This was one of the best animes I have seen. Until the last 2 episodes of course. I'm STILL not sure what happened in the end and I watched both post movies.

Can someone tell me if the instrumentality project succeeded or failed? It would give me some closure on the story.
I think the jury is still out on that one.

...Shinji became the one person who decided for all of humanity to not become a combined super being since it would mean an empty exsistence with no individual chooses. There'd be no fear and hate, but that would also mean there'd be no love and joy.

At the end when Shinji and Asuka lie on the beach you can see that Asuka is wearing bandages (just like Rei the first time he met her) and that her eye colour changed from blue to brown (same colour as Misato). Wich could mean many different things, but probably that Shinji - now for the first time - sees Asuka as not just the reality of woman (hostile and enraged), but also as the fantasy figure (Rei) and as the mother figure (Misato). So he now has a complete view of her and not just a one dimentionel.

That's my guess anyway.