Nerd Is a Universal Language

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Greg Tito said:
It doesn?t matter what country you are from or what gender you are, we can still argue about Star Wars.
I found this very interesting, largely because I (shameless plug ahoy!) wrote an article a little while ago with some very similar themes, albeit from a different angle. I focused more on the way we as nerds divide ourselves into ever-smaller subcultures and heirachies, as if to set ourselves above the most nerdish of nerds, although my conclusion was much the same as yours. You can view it here, if you should wish: http://ontologicalgeek.com/bronies-chaos-marines-and-dirty-little-secrets/

(fun fact, the "research" mentioned in the article was actually carried out on these very forums. Celebrity!)

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Vigormortis said:
In fact, I'd wager that this very thread will devolve into an argument; likely on the very things you brought up; within three pages. By that point I'm almost certain at least two people will start arguing over EA, Activision, Steam, Valve, Mass Effect, Bioware, Half-Life, Call of Duty, or some other such thing.
Old news, bro. We've abandoned all pretence at wanting rational debate, and now we just argue about who has the bigger dick.

Kinda sucks for the girls though, they never win.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
To some extent, yes, there is an abundance of geek cultural overlap.

But universal... Sorry I think thats taking it too far. There are still levels of geekdom that are essentially mutually exclusive. While you might find common ground, its more like the transition between say, speaking German and Danish. Still two separated languages.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
A Smooth Criminal said:
It's a universal language. But you're not allowed to speak it if you have unpopular opinions or female genitalia
Yeah, I'm glad we passed that law preventing women from talking about Game of Thrones. It was getting pretty bad.

LiMaSaRe

Mar 6, 2012
"Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play D&D."
I am so goddamn sick of this cliche smarmy little ending 'zinger'. I would have stopped reading right there if it wasnt at the end of the article.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to read an article by someone with writing talent.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
LiMaSaRe said:
I am so goddamn sick of this cliche smarmy little ending 'zinger'. I would have stopped reading right there if it wasnt at the end of the article.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to read an article by someone with writing talent.
Wait, is that a thing? People use that regularly?

Did I miss something?

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
JEBWrench said:
LiMaSaRe said:
Wait, is that a thing? People use that regularly?

Did I miss something?
I think he was talking about the general snowclone, ending articles with the "And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to ironically demonstrate my own above article." format

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
LiMaSaRe said:
I actually played D&D after writing this editorial. I'm sorry that bothered you.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Kekkonen1 said:
Being Swedish I feel compelled to ask, what the heck is Bolles kök (Bolle's kitchen)?
Heh, it's the apartment where Boel lives and her friends have taken to checking in to Bolle's kok on Four Square or Facebook after the bars and clubs close. IIRC, it even has it's own Facebook page.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Greg Tito said:
I actually played D&D after writing this editorial. I'm sorry that bothered you.
NERD! Go back to your mazes and monsters!

s69-5 said:
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the constant berating of my gaming tastes.
I did hear someone tell me about "emo hair and giant swords" for the 10,000th time though...
You should try enjoying a modern military shooter unironically some time. It's great fun!

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
So now we can have shallow meaningless conversations about a different set of hit global media to people who have shallow conversations about mainstream hit global media?

When I started on the internet nerd conversations on the internet used to be about things like Rush, Kubrick, Discordianism and programming. Now it's better because it's more about Star Wars and Firefly?

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Kekkonen1 said:
Being Swedish I feel compelled to ask, what the heck is Bolles kök (Bolle's kitchen)?
Heh, it's the apartment where Boel lives and her friends have taken to checking in to Bolle's kok on Four Square or Facebook after the bars and clubs close. IIRC, it even has it's own Facebook page.
I see, thought it was some kind of strange reference you were expected to realise if you came from Sweden, so I got kind of worried I had missed some sort of profound truth found only in the coldest most northern parts of the Swedish Tundra.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
s69-5 said:
JEBWrench said:
You should try enjoying a modern military shooter unironically some time. It's great fun!
I tried to enjoy them. It didn't happen...
I just don't enjoy FPS games that do not have VATS or a switchable third person option.

Also, for me: Swords > Guns.
Your mileage may vary.
I was more referring to the internets backlash; but hey, to each his own!

That guy said:
When I'm forced to play Halo with friends I seek out the sword or simply use my fists (assassinations and beat downs) for about 80% of my kills. That is when I'm not wandering around, lost, because I can't see peripherally and find the first person view to be disorienting unless in a tunnel (like most dungeons are made in TES).
Play Juggernaut mode. Ridiculous melee fun with a giant hammer.

I found myself hit like a roided-up baseball across the map in a game of Halo: Reach.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
A Smooth Criminal said:
It's a universal language. But you're not allowed to speak it if you have unpopular opinions or female genitalia
Oh, I dunno. I don't seem to need anyone's permission to nerd out all the time. :)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
A Smooth Criminal said:
Susan Arendt said:
A Smooth Criminal said:
Oh, I dunno. I don't seem to need anyone's permission to nerd out all the time. :)
Buuuuut gurls do not intuhrneht! u must be doin dis fur attenshen.
It's true. I really just bluff my way through in the hopes that boys will like me better.