Nerd Rage: Halo Syndrome

Lift

Dec 18, 2008
Important note: I realized putting this in the games review section is not the most prime place to post Nerd Rage. But, I put it here because it seemed most reasonable. This being sort of a review of the entire FPS genre.

Their has been a bit of a civil war going on between gamers the last few years, a civil flame war that's plagued message-boards, where things like:

"Halos da' best game evr!"

...are being countered by such amazing ground breaking bits of literary brilliance as:

"Eat a dick!"

Now, full disclosure, I am not one of the Halo hyping fan-boys. And while I enjoyed playing the marathon series on my buddy's old Mac, I thought Halo was a mostly bland FPS, with good music, detailed environments and, good multi-player. You all the stuff I like about UNREAL FUCKING TOURNAMENT!!!

Halo was enjoyable if you thought about what it actually was, It was the first real attempt to make a PC style shooter for the console. It was not, however, some diamond encrusted digital tome from heaven, just a decent FPS! THAT'S IT! The sooner we all come to this realization the sooner we can all stop this! Do I think Halo was bad, no JUST BLAND! The problem that arises with Halo was that so many thousands of, players fan-boys said it was the best game ever, and in saying so made every flaw seem ENORMOUS, even when they weren't all that big a deal.

...and then theirs Bioshock!

Summing up Bioshock by saying "...its like System shock with magic..." might seem lazy, and thats because it is! In fact I think Bioshock is more guilty of Halo syndrome... THAN HALO! I found the story predictable, the atmosphere disorienting, and I fucking HATE pluming! Interesting but not ground breaking, and I'm moving on!

Now, many writers at this point would go about listing off their favorite FPS and telling you why It's better than Halo. Well, fortunately for Halo fans, beating that horse any more would result in a hard to clean up horse pudding. So I think I'll do exactly the opposite... kind of.

The industry is flooded with FPSes right now. I mean in just the last few months, we've been fed Modern Warfair2, Battlefield: Bad Company (3/2/10), NecrovisioN : Lost Company, Left 4 Dead 2, and Bioshock2. Wow... all of those are sequels, huh... Now, While that is way more than enough to be considered an ass load, theirs more! We where also given Shattered Horizon, MAG, and Alien vs Predator (3). I enjoy playing a foxtrot papa sierra's, but whiskey tango foxtrot, can't we do any better!?

Not all of these games can be good, in fact it's more likely that they'll be gray boring, uninspired and unoriginal. This may have worked in the sprite days of old, but now it's gotten out of hand.

I think as gamers we should take it upon ourselves to avoid calling a game ?THE BEST EVAR!? Because it forces not only only other players to judge it more harshly, but it can actually make a game series worse than it is. For instance I LOVE Mass Effect, and I told my friend strait up "The game play is not that great, I'm in it for the story."

Oh and in case your wondering, Decent 3 is what I think of when I think of the perfect FPS.

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
...okay, whats the diuscussion? some games are better than others? yeah...... I like Halo. i dont like bioshock. i like that theres a lot of games out ther to choose from. does that answer your non existant question? This whole thing just sounds like one long opinion. In which case, everybody has a different one.

Apr 28, 2008
I don't see much Halo hate here. I've noticed people are usually smart enough to realise most Halo threads go downhill.

I do agree that we need to stop overhyping games. Its really annoying. MAG for example was hyped as basically a new shooter others would be compared to. All I saw it set out to do was put 256 players in a match together with minimal lag, and it actually worked, which I thought was amazing. Plus my connection sucks major ass, so being able to play with 256 people on my connection was just awsome.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Interesting read and you do have some points.

I love me some Halo maybe too much, but even I'm aware its not the greatest game of all time.

In my mind there is no such thing as the greatest game ever. Each and every game have their own pros and cons, some more than others.

And as for the flood of FPSes. If they sell well (which they tend to do) then developers will keep making them. And is that a bad thing? I love me some FPS action, I say the more the merrier. You don't have to play any of them. There are plenty of other non FPS games out there.

Wow I oddly typed a lot there.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Work on your spelling and grammar, it makes things more readable for others.

Also: This thread is not going to end well...

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
Good read and I agree with many points. Yes Halo was a functional shooter, as all the FPS's are these days. But with every game there will be fan boys for it I'm afraid. I'm no exception, I'm an MGS fanboy. Although I'm not going to get up in your face about it when you tell me there is 12 hours of cutscene. I think it also comes down to the maturity of the people getting behind the game, rather than the game itself.

chozo_hybrid said:
Why not? This is an intelligent discussion and so far people have been mature enough, I don't see why that can't continue.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
You certainly aren't the first person to point this out in an Escapist thread.

I like Halo, and still think it's one of the most enjoyable FPSs around (Because I haven't got bored of it yet. This is a surprisingly good judge). I do, however, agree with your point about Mass Effect. I find myself looking forward to exploring the settlements while getting through the shooting and mining (which I actually don't find that bad) as quickly as possible.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
olikunmissile said:
Good read and I agree with many points. Yes Halo was a functional shooter, as all the FPS's are these days. But with every game there will be fan boys for it I'm afraid. I'm no exception, I'm an MGS fanboy. Although I'm not going to get up in your face about it when you tell me there is 12 hours of cutscene. I think it also comes down to the maturity of the people getting behind the game, rather than the game itself.

chozo_hybrid said:
Why not? This is an intelligent discussion and so far people have been mature enough, I don't see why that can't continue.
I think there's a big difference to a fan and a fanboy. Let see which category you'd fit in, say I made a reasonable complaint about MGS which could be backed up with a reasonable amount of evidence to proof it. A.Would you start ranting and screaming and attacking? or B. would you accept this fault but still explain in a rational manner that you except this weakness but enjoy the game none the less?. Which of these options is close to how you would react?, if it's B then your a fan and not a fanboy. Fanboy status is reserved for those who can't respond maturely to any criticism and can't accept faults.

As for Halo... I enjoyed it. I thought it was a pretty good game and that it was entertaining. I don't think it was perfect game nor was it excellent but it was an entertaining experience.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Not sure what your trying to do here, but this is definitely not a review and does not belong in this subheading.

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
Sovvolf said:
Hmm, it's an interesting question, I suppose when you put it like that I'd choose B.
A fan, but I consider myself a fanboy because of the sheer volume of data I remember about the game and it's wildly far out storyline, I could quite literally say "ask me anything" and I'd 99% know the answer. Although it's something I probably shouldn't be proud of, or in fact I should be worried about, I kinda like it :). I'd never go jumping about a forum defending it's weak points, then again I wouldn't force it's strong points onto other people either. Still, it's interesting when you put it like that, because I don't think there is a game I'd attack someone over for disliking it.

EDIT: Ignore any bad grammar in there, it's 3am and my brain is failing me a bit. It's readable though.

Lift

Dec 18, 2008
Thanks for your comments and/or criticism.

Blindrooster said:
...okay, whats the diuscussion?
None intended, consider it an editorial on the FPS genre.

Pimppeter2 said:
Not sure what your trying to do here, but this is definitely not a review and does not belong in this subheading.
Added an "Important note" at the begining.

olikunmissile said:
chozo_hybrid said:
That was my intent. No flaming was intended. If anything, I hope to put out some fires.
Irridium said:
I don't see much Halo hate here. I've noticed people are usually smart enough to realize most Halo threads go downhill.
Both true, this was not meant as a slight toward The Escapist, and that is why I made a point to pick on Bioshock just as much.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Lift said:
Actually, this would work better in the Review Section simply because you don't get many flamers in here. But still, seeing as its not really a review next time I would post it else where. And I don't know if this is supposed to be a joke or some horrible type-o but I cringe when I come across "Warfair2"

Still, as discussion content I'm not exactly sure what you're wanting us to talk about.

Lift

Dec 18, 2008
Pimppeter2 said:
Lift said:
Actually, this would work better in the Review Section simply because you don't get many flamers in here. But still, seeing as its not really a review next time I would post it else where. And I don't know if this is supposed to be a joke or some horrible type-o but I cringe when I come across "Warfair2"

Still, as discussion content I'm not exactly sure what you're wanting us to talk about.
Huh, two things that I find interesting. The first is that Warfair is a rather creative slight. The other is that not my Google spell check plug-in or Open Office caught that....

As for something to discus none was really intended. This is just me voicing my Nerd Rage. HOWEVER, if we where to discus this further: What other games would you say have had Halo Syndrome?

Tryzon

Jul 19, 2008
chozo_hybrid said:
Work on your spelling and grammar, it makes things more readable for others.
I concur. If you want to be taken seriously, perfecting basic English is the first step. Rant or no rant, there are some silly mistakes in there.