NES Controller Coffee Table Conceals Working Console

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
NES Controller Coffee Table Conceals Working Console

It's one thing to have a table that looks like a NES controller, but it's quite another to have a table that is a NES controller.

A trio of Belgian men have built what they call the "10up Deluxe NES Mod," which for all intents and purposes, is a giant replica of a NES controller. The controller - which doubles as a coffee table - is ten times the size of a regular NES controller, and is actually capable of playing games.

According to its official blog [http://10updeluxe.blogspot.com/], the project got started after a conversation between two of the men about recreating a NES controller coffee table they'd seen on YouTube. It didn't take long for one of them to suggest that they should take it a step further and make something more than just a table. Using a combination of springs, switches, and circuit boards, the trio not only made a working pad, but also built a NES console into it, making it a convenient, although super-sized, one-piece system.

The trio went to painstaking lengths to make the table look and feel as much like an original NES controller as possible too, carving the manufacturing info from the back of the pad into the underside of the table, and coating the wood to make it feel like plastic. The work was so good, it caught the attention of French director Rémy Bezançon, who used it in his upcoming movie Un Heureux Évènement, or A Blessed Event.

If you want the table for your very own, it's going up for sale on Ebay [http://myworld.befr.ebay.be/evabijvoet/] on December 14th in a ten-day auction. Besides the table itself, whoever buys it will get a copy of Super Mario Bros., two standard NES controllers that plug into ports on the side of the table, and a console repair kit. There's no information on how much the starting bid will be, but considering how much work went into getting it just right - not to mention its movie pedigree - you're probably looking at least a hundred bucks, and quite likely even more.

Source: Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5712493/enormous-101-scale-nes-coffee-table-actually-works?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+gizmodo/full+(Gizmodo)]

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Wow, that's some trippy Mario remix music.

Nice work. I could imagine banging the start button with my head whenever the game would treat me unfair XD.

That being said they should have used a SNES controller. God damn that NES controller is ugly.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
"Antifungal Wood Treatment"

And thus, Super Mario Bros. has finally seen an unnecessary increase to difficulty.

On topic, though, this is really cool. Props to the guys for making something so geeky yet cool.

el sparko

Aug 7, 2008
Jesus Phish said:
Some dude made one of these years ago by himself but without the console, but with more utility.
Yeah, I've seen another video of a working NES coffee table without the console in it. It wsa huge and needed two people to use it

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
At first I was like "BRILLIANT!" then I thought "wait, what if you accidentally spill something on the control-table?". Then they put on the glass thing on top of the table and I went back to thinking "BRILLIANT!"

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
Interesting, but I don't like how much weight and empty space is behind those buttons. One enthusiastic press and you've broken the contact trigger and suddenly A or B no longer works and the only way to fix it is to open it up and get out the soldering iron

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
that is awesome!
it's a two in one item!

now if only I had the cash monies I could claim it FOR MYSELF!!!!

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
only 10 to one? seems bigger, it also seems a tad impractical, having to remove and put down the glass part whenever you want to play, not that playing looks easy, but you could finally play co-op in the single player games.

it is fun, seems like the perfect gift for a Nintendo fan boy.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Now this is something I'd spend $100 or more on... To bad if I actually had $100 I'd probably buy video games and manga :p