Net Neutrality might end.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
https://gizmodo.com/heres-the-fccs-plan-to-kill-net-neutrality-1820683360

The order, if passed on December 14th during the FCC?s open hearing, would effectively abdicate the commission?s authority to regulate ISPs under Title II of the Communications Act, significantly curtailing oversight of broadband access.
Say goodbye to the internet as we know it if this passes.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I keep hearing about it, and it's not helping my paranoia any... I swear it's like we're living in a Cyberpunk future...

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
The cynic in me is starting to think that the end of net neutrality is inevitable.

Maybe this attempt will fail like the last ones.

That's ok. They'll try again next year. And the year after. Until they win. And they only need to win once.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I might be the only one kinda looking forward to this. Maybe if 'Murica starts getting some of their comforts taken away, they'll actually wake up, get their head out of their collective asses, and start banding together to put a stop to all the shit this government's pulled. Or even just some shit. I'll take what I can get.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Chimpzy said:
The cynic in me is starting to think that the end of net neutrality is inevitable.

That's ok. They'll try again next year. And the year after. Until they win. And they only need to win once.
You say that as if it would be impossible to make a counter fight to re-establish Net Neutrality.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Chimpzy said:

You say that as if it would be impossible to make a counter fight to re-establish Net Neutrality.
No, not impossible to re-establish. Just not anytime soon, should it happen.

Trump has been vocal about being against net neutrality and I've seen no indication his stance has changed.
[tweet t=https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/532608358508167168]
Of course, might be he is completely clueless about what net neutrality actually means, but his actual understanding is irrelevant.

He appoints the FCC leadership board. So far he has appointed a notable opponent of net neutrality as chairman, and by the end of his term he will have appointed the entire board, which are likely to be people who share his views.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The courts might prevent it from going away. A 1946 law called the Administrative Procedure Act bans federal agencies making "capricious" decisions. The law is meant, in part, to keep regulations from yo-yoing back and forth every time a new party gained control of the White House. The FCC successfully argued in favor of Title II reclassification in federal court just last summer. That effort means Pai might have to make the case that things had changed enough since then to justify a complete reversal in policy.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
So what's the status now? I haven't been paying attention to the ordeal lately.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
Marik2 said:
So what's the status now? I haven't been paying attention to the ordeal lately.
Fraudulent comments in support of it are common enough that New York Attorney General made a tool to search whether someone used your name in a fraudulent comment on net neutrality:
https://ag.ny.gov/fakecomments

Maybe the boogieman Democrats will fix this when they get into power again. Or a Conservative who actually cares about the country. Dunno WTF they're making this into a partisan issue when it literally only benefits companies like Comcast and Verizon who stand to profit by blocking/slowing down competing services... No one else, certainly no individuals.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
MrCalavera said:
This will become a historic event.

First crowfunded assassination.
I look forward to see Lawsuits and Protests and potentially Riots if this passes.
I don't know about riots, but you will see lawsuits once ISPs try throttling. Repealing Net Neutrality frees them up some more options about how to run their businesses, but once their decisions negatively impact someone else, there's going to be lawyers.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Chimpzy said:

It's not the cynic in you, it's just being informed because that's completely true. "We the People" have all the stake in this fight and no power whatsoever to even be on the battlefield. The only ones these politicians ever care about are the big corporations that fund their election campaigns, always has been. The sole reason net neutrality has even lasted as long as it has is there's as many corporations that would be harmed by it's removal as would benefit from it. Once a bill fails to pass there is supposed to be rules that keep them from trying to pass it again and again, but it's filled with loopholes that let these corporations that would benefit keep throwing the same bill at Congress until it eventually passes which is what these corporations will keep doing until net neutrality is gone, it's just a matter of time.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
The more I think about the internet, the more I'm beginning to realize just how responsible it is for the tail end of the Millennials and Gen Z coming out as fucked up as they are.

Good riddance, maybe it'll get people to stop making up genders on the tumbler and twatter and go outside.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Micromanaging the dollars and cents of how I used this data plan or that one will really change my behavior. Certainly going to be doing more activities outside of the house if it lands in Canada...

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
inu-kun said:
Redlin5 said:
Micromanaging the dollars and cents of how I used this data plan or that one will really change my behavior. Certainly going to be doing more activities outside of the house if it lands in Canada...

Isn't paying for internet already the case? Last time I checked you need to pay the internet providers. If anything I'd prefer being able to pay less to not being able to access things I don't use like twitter.
Do you seriously think you would be paying less under any new plan? Like, do you anticipate the ISP making enough money selling Twitter access that they hit some kind of internal "ethical revenue cap" and logically conclude that the only way to keep this revenue stream ethical is to make the basic internet package cheaper than it used to be?

The only reason for getting rid of Net neutrality is so they can think of new and innovative ways to nickle-and-dime people. Full stop. Services will not improve.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
inu-kun said:
Isn't paying for internet already the case? Last time I checked you need to pay the internet providers. If anything I'd prefer being able to pay less to not being able to access things I don't use like twitter.
That's not the case. [http://www.visualistan.com/2014/07/what-every-internet-user-needs-to-know-about-net-neutrality.html] You still pay the ISP for internet access but now 'optimal speed' will be determined by what packages you buy on top of just the access. The basic internet will slow for all to motivate sales of the premium.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Honest question. Are there any arguments FOR the end of net neutrality? Like i know the internet (and especially reddit) are in a tizzy against it, so we only hear one side, but i like being informed on a whole and not have soley biased information.

Can i have the pro AND cons ? Not just the cons? Because the discussion seems kind of one sided and biased. Which kind of make me not take it seriously. Like a witch hunt

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Lufia Erim said:
Honest question. Are there any arguments FOR the end of net neutrality? Like i know the internet (and especially reddit) are in a tizzy against it, so we only hear one side, but i like being informed on a whole and not have soley biased information.

Can i have the pro AND cons ? Not just the cons? Because the discussion seems kind of one sided and biased. Which kind of make me not take it seriously. Like a witch hunt
The most common argument i have come across was 'free the net from government control because the gorvernment is evil'

All of the pros belong to the ISP's, less taxes and the freedom to do whatever they please.