Netflix cancelled Iron Fist and Luke Cage

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/luke-cage-canceled-netflix-marvel-iron-fist-1202013827/

Thoughts?

Spoiler free OP:

I'm actually really disappointed with the cancellation of Iron Fist. Now don't get me wrong, season 1 of Iron Fist was truly quite terrible, and season 2, while better still wasn't good, but after the stinger of Iron Fist season 2 I was REALLY curious about where the show was going.

I'm less disappointed about the cancellation of Luke Cage. While the better show, it had a significantly less interesting season ending.

Personally if I had my way I would have cancelled Jessica Jones instead. I actually really liked Jessica Jones season 1, but thought that season 2 might actually be the worst season of all the Marvel Netflix shows. It was unfocused, basically didn't have a villain, and the characters exhibited minimal growth. Jessica Jones doesn't need a third season. The first season was great (or would have been if they'd cut it down by 3-4 episodes), but that's all that the character really needed.

I'm actually really hoping that the cancellation of Iron Fist and Luke Cage is actually just being done to pave the way for a Heroes for Hire Netflix show, but I'm not holding my breath. I totally still expect that the characters are going to pop up in the other shows, but I double they're going to be getting their own character arches in those shows.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yeah, Luke Cage S2 wasn't that great. But neither was Jessica Jones S2. In fact, IMO Iron Fist S2 was the best of all the season 2s.

But surely, this also has got something to do with the new Disney streaming service coming out soon.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
From my understanding, these might just be to get the Marvel shows off Netflex and brought to Disney's upcoming streaming service.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I am really hoping that this is just Disney being a jerk then Netflix going like old TV.

The big reason why I like Netflix shows is that they stick around (and when they are cancelled, it seems like they get the chance to actually wrap it up rather than just cancelling it in the middle of a cliffhanger because not enough people watched it to make the suits in charge money).

I didn't see Iron Fist S2 but I hear it ends on a big cliffhanger. I was super interested to see what Luke Cage S3 would do as Luke Cage S2 ended on a pretty interesting game changing note (not exactly a cliffhanger but what could be a big change in the series).

So again, hoping this is Disney being a jerk and just being stupidly unreasonable with their demands so that no one else can play with their toys. I'd hate to see Netflix repeating TVs mistakes.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Saelune said:
From my understanding, these might just be to get the Marvel shows off Netflex and brought to Disney's upcoming streaming service.
Most likely. Everybody, their mother, and their little dog too are making streaming services that are cordoning off a few movies and shows specifically to try to force people to buy them. Now here is Disney taking movies and shows off of the one decent and already established streaming service.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
immortalfrieza said:
Saelune said:
Most likely. Everybody, their mother, and their little dog too are making streaming services that are cordoning off a few movies and shows specifically to try to force people to buy them. Now here is Disney taking movies and shows off of the one decent and already established streaming service.

Disney atleast I feel is justified, since they own like half of all entertainment. Netflix used to be good when it had ALL the movies, now it never has that movie I want to watch.

But a streaming service that should hopefully always have all Disney owned stuff? From Marvel, to Star Wars to well...Disney? Might actually be worth it.

Long as it is better than Hulu, fuck Hulu.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Saelune said:
Long as it is better than Hulu, fuck Hulu.
uh-oh. When Disney bought Hulu, my expectation became that they'd just rename it and that would be the Disney streaming site. Far to easy to imagine someone saying, "Why would we program a new system when we have this one right here?"

That said, yeah, probably those shows are gone in preparation of them moving.

But in a happier world, they are leaving to make way for two new shows: Heroes for Hire and Daughters of the Dragon.

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
I understand Iron Fist getting the axe, but Luke Cage? Although for the first half of season two made me want to tear my eyes out, but the ending managed to pull it back together. I think overall Luke Cage is probably the second best of the series, behind Punisher and Jessica Jones probably deserve the axe more. I've been finding myself less and less interested with each season for all series, not sure it's because of the plot or it's just lost it's novelty. Gotham and Flash, on the other hand, just seems to get better and better.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
ex951753 said:
Flash, on the other hand, just seems to get better and better.
Um, really?

If I had to rank the Flash seasons I've seen, it would be 2>1>3, with 2 and 1 being close in quality and 3 being the obvious last. That aside though, from what I've heard, the common consensus is that Flash started strong and has been declining in quality ever since.

But that's just me plus scuttlebutt.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Saelune said:
Just at the moment, it feels like Disney owns almost everything.

I can't help but wonder whether a little more diversity of companies might not be a bad thing.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Agema said:
Saelune said:

I can't help but wonder whether a little more diversity of companies might not be a bad thing.
Oh so NOW you're wondering?

Been concerned about Disney's monopoly ever since it began its takeover bid to take Fox. :(

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Saelune said:
Netflix has made it clear these shows are "theirs to cancel," and the fact that they've canceled the definitively most hated show, along with soft canceling the miniseries that focused heavily on that main character, is probably not the move that points to this being a move to get them to Disney.

Netflix has canceled several shows recently,which is practically a first it's so noteworthy. Netflix doesn't like to cancel anything, which is how Iron Fist got a season 2 in all probability. I'm not sure how well Luke Cage did, and it may simply be they canceled the two least popular shows to focus on the ones people care about. This could be for a number of reasons, but I'm betting theyre cutting bait to save money. They've been increasing their original programming for a while, and there's no way they're justifying it with subscriber numbers Netflix has had financial problems for a good amount of time now, and this might just be the bubble bursting.

In any case, Finn Jones is awful and the show probably shouldn't have gotten a season 2.

If Disney was behind this, though, I would expect they'd cancel the ones people actually wanted, not discount Dr Strange and the one that's also kinda decent.

Agema said:

While I agree, this is a really weird place to point it out. Disney, the company that owns Marvel and all the Marvel movies, might be getting Marvel characters back. That they didn't have these rights with the original purchase a decade ago is a little ridiculous in the first place, but goes into the territory of legal deals Marvel made to deal with bankruptcy beforehand.

Marvel characters potentially coming home to Marvel isn't in itself a problem. It's everything they've gobbled up since 2009. Over half of their acquisitions have been since the purchase of Marvel, and that's the scary part. This? I mean, we don't knoiw that the rights will transfer back to Marvel. There's been speculation we might see spinoffs including Misty and Coleen (I'd watch it) and we might still see Finn and Mike show up in related media. Or we might not. Part of the problem here is that we really don't know any details besides the cancellation of 2.5 shows and the statement that Marvel doesn't control when the shows re canceled.

One thing the licensing of the various Marvel entities in film has showed us is just how complicated things can be on the legal end.

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
Hawki said:
ex951753 said:
Flash, on the other hand, just seems to get better and better.
Um, really?

If I had to rank the Flash seasons I've seen, it would be 2>1>3, with 2 and 1 being close in quality and 3 being the obvious last. That aside though, from what I've heard, the common consensus is that Flash started strong and has been declining in quality ever since.

Now that I think about it, you're probably right on the ranking. I never watched Flash before and binged 3 seasons in a single week. Overall I still find the series thoroughly enjoyable. Now I'm just waiting for season 4 to finish so I can watch it all in one go.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
ex951753 said:
I understand Iron Fist getting the axe, but Luke Cage? Although for the first half of season two made me want to tear my eyes out, but the ending managed to pull it back together. I think overall Luke Cage is probably the second best of the series, behind Punisher and Jessica Jones probably deserve the axe more. I've been finding myself less and less interested with each season for all series, not sure it's because of the plot or it's just lost it's novelty. Gotham and Flash, on the other hand, just seems to get better and better.
Apparently, it was issues behind-the-scenes not Luke Cage's quality that got it cancelled.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hawki said:

I'd personally go 1>4>2>3. And season five isn't done, but it's stacking up to be better than 3.

I know some people don't like 4 because of the Big Bad, but the complaint is largely the same as the other season, and I think the trip to the dumb ending was better than the trip to the dumb ending in the others, except 1.

Legends is the DC show I'd say keeps getting better. 1 was mostly worth watching for Snart. 2 stepped out into its own, and 3 went utterly nuts and it works. The other shows have been inconsistent from year to year.

That said, I'd still put the Arrowverse overall above the best of Marvel's TV. Daredevil and Jessica Jones both had strong openers, and...that's basically it. I mean, I liked DD and JJ seasons 2, but they didn't live up to the first.

ex951753 said:
Now that I think about it, you're probably right on the ranking. I never watched Flash before and binged 3 seasons in a single week. Overall I still find the series thoroughly enjoyable. Now I'm just waiting for season 4 to finish so I can watch it all in one go.
Season 4 is over. We're on 5 now.

Agent_Z said:
Apparently, it was issues behind-the-scenes not Luke Cage's quality that got it cancelled.
What sort of BTS stuff?

Palindromemordnilap said:
Eh, move to give us a Heroes for Hire series instead?
Thundering Dumbass was at his most tolerable when paired with Cage, so it might work.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Hawki said:
Agema said:
Saelune said:

Oh so NOW you're wondering?

Been concerned about Disney's monopoly ever since it began its takeover bid to take Fox. :(
Wasn't the other player in that deal, who were trying to outbid Disney, Comcast? Possibly creating a bigger studio than Disney? Never were good options, both leading to some form of monopoly/duopoly