Never buy a Ubisoft game for PC

Tinybear

Aug 27, 2010
I just want to warn people, never buy their games on PC. They force Uplay down your throat, and it has the worst uptime I've seen in ages. Their support is horrible, they just delete all posts they find that mentions that this is only making people want to pirate, and give no information on when servers are up again. Personally, I am never going to buy a single Ubisoft game again.

Tinybear

Aug 27, 2010
Well, I just want to make them pay for making me regret purchasing a game legally. They are the first company to actually make me feel that way, and I am pissed off about it. So, I'm trying to stop as many of their sales as I can.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Tinybear said:
I just want to warn people, never buy their games on PC. They force Uplay down your throat, and it has the worst uptime I've seen in ages. Their support is horrible, they just delete all posts they find that mentions that this is only making people want to pirate, and give no information on when servers are up again. Personally, I am never going to buy a single Ubisoft game again.
I agree, their horrible DRM and customer service makes piracy look much more appealing when it circumvents the problems

However you should send them a letter and inform them of your personal boycott. That way they cant say "well PC players are just pirating" instead of "PC players are so fed up with us they wont buy our products anymore". If enough of these letters happen (and it will take several tens of thousands to effect change) they will reconsider their business model for PC games

Tinybear

Aug 27, 2010
Windcaler said:
Tinybear said:
I agree, their horrible DRM and customer service makes piracy look much more appealing when it circumvents the problems

However you should send them a letter and inform them of your personal boycott. That way they cant say "well PC players are just pirating" instead of "PC players are so fed up with us they wont buy our products anymore". If enough of these letters happen (and it will take several tens of thousands to effect change) they will reconsider their business model for PC games
I sent a support ticket saying that I will never buy a game from them again, and I also mentioned that I own all three consoles, have 40 games on them, and about 90 games on steam. They're not only losing a customer, they're losing a damn good customer

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011

The top one is Ubisoft's business model in a nutshell.

They don't really get that the only people seriously inconvenienced by more draconian DRM are paying customers. No matter what your DRM does, pirates only have to download the crack once.

Tinybear

Aug 27, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Ahh, so true. That image made me think of a r/truegaming thread about the most philosophical games out there, best comment was: "Team Fortress 2! It made me think: what if hats?"

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Pah. Shovelware, misguided reboots, worst site and in-game service since GFWL, DLC all over the place. That's Ubisoft for ya.

Rayman Origins was an amazing little game and they launched it inbetween the year's biggest releases with a 60$ price tag.

I swear, the only reason they aren't as hated as Activision/EA is that they're incompetent rather than greedy.

Tinybear

Aug 27, 2010
Thoric485 said:
Pah. Shovelware, misguided reboots, worst site and in-game service since GFWL, DLC all over the place. That's Ubisoft for ya.

Rayman Origins was an amazing little game and they launched it inbetween the year's biggest releases with a 60$ price tag.

I swear, the only reason they aren't as hated as Activision/EA is that they're incompetent rather than greedy.
GFWL?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Thoric485 said:

I dunno. Activision really hasn't been bad. The hate they get it for making Call of Duty. The still have no online passes or even Day 1 DLC.

Edit: Whoops. Quoted the wrong person originally.

Tinybear

Aug 27, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Thoric485 said:

I dunno. Activision really hasn't been bad. The hate they get it for making Call of Duty. The still have no online passes or even Day 1 DLC.

If you had played Modern Warfare 2 online, you would understand the hate.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Tinybear said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Thoric485 said:

If you had played Modern Warfare 2 online, you would understand the hate.
Shouldn't that just be Infinity Ward hate, then?

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Tinybear said:
Thoric485 said:

GFWL?
Games for Windows Live. A not so good PC gaming service (Your Mileage May Vary).

aprildog18

Feb 16, 2010
hopeneverdies said:
Tinybear said:
Thoric485 said:

GFWL?
Games for Windows Live. A not so good PC gaming service (Your Mileage May Vary).
I believe you can make an offline account with Games for Windows Live (at least I was able to).

Sirron Kcuch

Jan 3, 2012
Kahunaburger said:

They don't really get that the only people seriously inconvenienced by more draconian DRM are paying customers. No matter what your DRM does, pirates only have to download the crack once.
Oh my god Kahunaburger
We have the same avatar! D:

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Sirron Kcuch said:
Kahunaburger said:

Oh my god Kahunaburger
We have the same avatar! D:
Except you're taller haha

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Random observation: The only time I ever hear/see the word "draconian" is when people are talking about DRM. This has nothing to do with the topic. I just felt like saying it.

On topic: I don't blame PC gamers for wanting to boycott Ubisoft. They just never seem to get the point, and are so narrow-minded that they can't figure out a different way to do things. These aren't an issue on consoles, but it's annoying to seeing honest gamers being preemptively treated like criminals.
Thoric485 said:

Also, all of this is true. I don't see why people have a good reason to hate Activision anymore, unless you're just that angry that Call of Duty exists. Bobby Kotick seems to have learned to keep his mouth shut. They just happen to not make any games I like. Nothing hate-worthy there.