Neverwinter Attempts To Recreate D&D

aegios187

Jun 17, 2007
Meh, Forgotten Realms is so overdone. Advancing it 100 years seems like just a new way to beat that old, dead horse. Base a game in Krynn, Eberron or somewhere else.

Rogun11

Apr 10, 2009
One side to D&D's success is the social side of it. The abilty to take 3-4 of your friends and make a vast world created by you. If they could make each and every action has a serious consequence/reaction then I think I may need to get this.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Ha, so 4th Ed IS becoming an MMO. I mean that's what the rules were based off of anyways.

But do they really have to use their inhouse engine? It's rather crappish and generic and now they're setting it in 4th's Forgotten Realms: a setting the feels like the writers got hit on the head and forgot it wasn't Eberron. They ruin all of the fluff and story of the setting, conveniently forget most of the history, and then sell it as a post-apocalyptic campaign world.

oranger

May 27, 2008
I just have this sneaky feeling that this is just gonna be another "DLC" style cash-in, only this time you have to buy most of the "modules"

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
As long as it ain't anything like NwN 2 it will probably be good. -100% of the loadscreens and more bigger areas with content in it then thousands of small ones gg.

Zolem

Jul 28, 2008
What is this 'space ship' of which you speak? Bah, I have no time for this, I must confront the Negoi before they can escape with the captured slaves they have loaded in thier spelljammer.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I like Champions Online. It wasn't the greatest MMO, but it was a likeable one. Main problem was the core rule set totally screwed up balance and Cryptics attitudes was "hey you are superheroes so what does balance have to do with that?" If they are coding in D&D rules, that solves that problem. The closer they stick to D&D the better.

Otherwise, Cryptic will probably tend to skew things on the easy side, but with good visual flair. Unless this really, really sucks it looks like a buy for me.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
Kenko said:
Another MMO by Cryptic that will blow chunks, what a waste of a good franchise.
If by MMO you mean Co-operative game... Like Left 4 Dead or Boarderlands

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
maddog015 said:
Well, automatically, 4th edition D&D is essentially pen and paper version of an "MMO". Magic users no longer have to conserve their magic with their "at-will" powers.
Look beyond those into the encounter and daily powers. Also, several "rituals" (I.E. non-combat utility spells) cost Healing Surges, which will reduce the amount of times you can receive healing magic in a day.

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
ravensshade said:
lomylithruldor said:
The idea looks really interesting, like everything Cryptic does. I don't know if it'll be good but I'm definitely curious to know more.
indeed..
though i'm a bit scared/annoyed that they use the same engine as CO and STO.. to me that isn't really a good sign. I mean while the engine worked out for CO's cartoony super heroing
but in my minds eye the look that i've seen the CO/STO engine produce just doesn't fit with NWN characters..
Well, when you develop an engine, you better make the most out of it I think.

Gears of war, The last remnant and Arkham Asylum all use the unreal engine 3. They each have very different look, style and gameplay. Maybe their engine is not as versatile, but they can always modify it since it's in-house.

Big Phil

May 4, 2010
Why does there always have to be a plague? Plus, I don't really like the 4th D&D edition. I still think it's going to be something too similar to Dungeons & Dragons Online with only a speck of innovation. All the sweet ideas of players writing their own stories and the location generators and stuff will all end up dead once the first players get to high levels and forget about the storyline, the novelties, the plot etc. and decide to sacrifice them for the everlasting prosperity of PvP and babbling over who has the more bonuses. IMHO, that's the destiny of ANY online game, whether it's said to be a "revolutionary MMORPG that will blow your mind with the new opportunities and graphics supporting the 342nd shaders, DirectX 1500 and bloom" or "the game that allows you to get together with your friends and have a wonderful time exploring our wonderful new world while creating your own story that will forevermore be sung about by bards of Qwertia and recorded in the Whoopston Chronicles".

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
meh I´ll give it one of those 7-10 days trial, doubt it be fun, plus it´s hard toping Guild Wars 2 being "buy the game, pay no monthly fee"

silasary

Jul 9, 2010
No, it's an online-based co-op game. It's sounds like it has more of a single-player story feel than an MMO.

Also, I look forward to an interpretation of the 4E rules.

Eldan

Jun 22, 2008
Actually, I remembered an interview where they said that for convenience, they'd do away with encounter and daily powers and give everything a certain recharge time.

Snooder

May 12, 2008
It could be good, as long as they add a campaign editor for players to make up their own stories.

MCMK

Nov 24, 2009
After playing the super hero game (so bad i forget the name) and did not enjoy it. Then i tried the star trek game and what did i find? A modded version of the Hero's game. I hope the money saved in not making anything new for star trek is put into the dev of this game.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
lomylithruldor said:
The idea looks really interesting, like everything Cryptic does. I don't know if it'll be good but I'm definitely curious to know more.
Seeing how poorly Cryptic implements their interesting ideas, the only thing I'm curious about is how bad this is going to end up.