Neverwinter Attempts To Recreate D&D

Alistar

Aug 20, 2010
I've lost touch with my RL pen n paper buddies, but I think there are still more players than GMs, I've tried to GM but utter fail. This sounds like a good solution( if it works).
I loved NWN1 but hated the interface in NWN2, I will probably check out this one, the cover art looks a lot like a metal CD cover, I do enjoy checking out the custom mods/worlds that people did with the aurora set.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
I actually think this article is pretty hilarious.

Has everyone forgotten what MMO means?
Massive
Multiplayer
Role
Playing
Game

The ironic thing about this article is "don't call it a Massive Multiplayer Onlnine Roly Playing Game, just call it an Online Role Playing Game."

I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed the redundancy, but I don't understand how Cryptic is trying to argue that their game ISN'T an MMO when it's part of their description!
They also mention that you'll be able to form parties and meet friends in the towns just like every single MMO. So it's not just an "online Role Playing Game" because meeting people and forming parties and stuff is basically what makes and MMO "Massive" and "Multiplayer" ...not to mention it's "Online"...

I wonder if Cryptic realized what they said...

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
From Article: Emmert has worked closely with Wizards of the Coast in utilizing the 4th edition rules that were released in 2008 in Neverwinter.

I am officialy not getting this game. Got me all excited for nothing....

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Okysho said:

Massive
Multiplayer
Role
Playing
Game

The ironic thing about this article is "don't call it a Massive Multiplayer Onlnine Roly Playing Game, just call it an Online Role Playing Game."

I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed the redundancy, but I don't understand how Cryptic is trying to argue that their game ISN'T an MMO when it's part of their description!
They also mention that you'll be able to form parties and meet friends in the towns just like every single MMO. So it's not just an "online Role Playing Game" because meeting people and forming parties and stuff is basically what makes and MMO "Massive" and "Multiplayer" ...not to mention it's "Online"...

You ignore the word Massively. In NWN, servers ranged from 1 to under 100 players, and thats each a seperate and unrelated servers. Not a massively multipler game then, atleast not all together. The difference from just online and MMO, is a single world where hundreds or more players are always on. THATS the difference between an MMO and an online multiplayer game. So unless every game with online is an MMO, then its likely this will not be an MMO as they say it wont.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
TimeLord75 said:
I stopped reading as soon as I saw it would be using 4th edition rules. No longer interested.
Amen brother. Just because its the current one. Doesnt mean its good. LE is the best alignment. The loss of that alone ruins 4th edition.

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
Miumaru said:
TimeLord75 said:
I stopped reading as soon as I saw it would be using 4th edition rules. No longer interested.
Amen brother. Just because its the current one. Doesnt mean its good. LE is the best alignment. The loss of that alone ruins 4th edition.
Here here! Although the post spellplague FR looks intresting I lothe the idea of playing it in 4th edition rules. Its a rutting joke if you ask me.

Eldan

Jun 22, 2008
Perhaps someone will make a 3rd edition mod.

You know, hope and all that nonsense.

ahpuch

Mar 19, 2009
Okysho said:

Massive
Multiplayer
Role
Playing
Game

you missed the multiplayer : "online multiplayer game". The only word they are dropping is massively. but you can still run into all the other players in town. But don't call it massive.

Okysho said:
Of course they realized. They are taking seriously the fact that Atari granted exclusive rights to a D&D based MMO to Turbine years ago. Despite that fact that Atari tried to kill DDO and claw back those rights, Turbine likely still has exclusivity. It is impossible to be sure since the out of court settlement is not public.

Likely, Cryptic is finding careful wording to rebrand their project and skirt around those legal landmines. But sometimes innovation comes from forced constraints so it might not be a bad thing if they can invent a new paradigm. I just doubt that Cryptic has what it takes to do it.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
I am very excited for this. 4E rules were made for a video game adaptation and they are finally making one.

I just wish it was in Eberron or Dark Sun instead of crappy FR. (No, I won't play DDO.)

And PLEASE LET THERE BE PSIONICS!

Normeo

Sep 11, 2008
sounds good, but will is beat DDO's price tag of free to play? I don't think so (plus ddo is still 3.5 :p )

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
If it's gonna be and RPG in teh baldurs gate/NWN-ish kinda way with grouping liek in guild wars, with no monthly fee, it sounds realy good.

If it's gonna be a rpg-ish as diablo, i don't care that much. Don't get me wrong, i'm really hyped for D3, but i never really found diablo to be much of an RPG, it's a fantasy combat game with level systems, theres no roleplaying, you don't even have any dialouge, only npc monolouge which just opens a new reward for killing someone.
Funnily enough, this is about the same amount of RPG MMO's usually has to offer, and when you combine that lack of roleplaying elements with the stale combat of most MMO's, you have the reson why i got sick and tired of WoW, EVE, and don't really care for MMO's anymore.

Would really like to see a game, that managed to include good RPG elements, good multiplayer AND good combat that cared as much for the players skills, and not just the characters stats. So damn tired of more ro less automated combat based solely on the gear/lvl you have.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
DC_Josh said:
Miumaru said:
TimeLord75 said:
Here here! Although the post spellplague FR looks intresting I lothe the idea of playing it in 4th edition rules. Its a rutting joke if you ask me.
I agree too. Why even bother? The system WotC created is finally being used for the platform it was designed for. Can't bring the RPG crowd from videogames to your product (which is should already be perfect for them)? Then bring the game to them. Base it off of the same freedomless and uninspired systems they are used to. Except... video games are limited by the technology... what's 4th eds excuse? Perhaps bad marketing, a lack of creativity, and the appeal of MORE MONEY.

Maybe it's the audience?

I LOVE D&D and the types of people it used to draw. But I'm not buying this. The magic is gone. Now it's JUST another system. Just another platform.

Illessa

Mar 1, 2010
I find the claim that 4th ed is much easier to translate into a videogame than 3rd quite interesting. I'd say it should be kinda tricky, precisely because of that focus on miniatures mantioned.

I mean yes, there's definately a lot of common terminology and crossover with MMOs, and the rules are more structured with fewer exceptions than 3e which is always a boon for coding. But from my experience of 4e (admittedly relatively limited, I'm a diehard Paizo fangirl, so it's PFRPG all the way for me), there's a huge tactical focus on on-going conditions, precise movement and battlefield control. I don't see how converting that to a real-time 3d environment in a way that will both keep the die-hard system fans happy and remain user-friendly isn't a massive deal.

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
They'll forget this mentality half-way through and just try to clone WoW with a DnD skin over it much to the rage of both Warcraft and Dungeons & Dragon's P&P fans; Expect it to abuse the lore to give us a bi-faction system with the "Good vs Evil" mentality as well.

It will end up locked away and forgotten in the sea of mediocrity.