Neverwinter Nights 2 Camera Trouble...

Cryofthewolf

Feb 28, 2008
Now, I'm not one with a short fuse, but the camera angles that you have to deal with right after you install Mask of the Betrayer expansion pack make me want to throw my laptop out the window and after that go and punch every developer of the game in the face.

...So, needless to say, I need help...

Does anybody know how to fix the camera? They added a bunch of different camera modes and ways to modify your viewing pleasure which ironically make you want to tear out your eyeballs. My character's little camera friend used to be able to turn left and right, up and down. It doesn't do this anymore. No, the camera decided that it doesn't want to focus on what is in front of me. It instead directs itself across the map towards rocks, trees and other things of little importance to the game.

If anyone can help me fix this problem I will be eternally thankful. Please, each second that I have to deal with those camera angles there is a greater chance that I will pop a blood vessel in my neck...

Thanks

doomgaze3

Nov 29, 2007
It sounds like you have strategy mode turned on. Strategy mode pans using the mouse (like an RTS). There should be a 3 button panel somewhere on the screen that can switch between Strategy mode (image of a mouse cursor making a marquee selection), Exploration mode (image of a cone and dots), and Character mode (Image of a head and shoulders.

My guess is that you're used to either character mode or exploration mode. You camera controls for each of these 3 modes can be configured further in the options menu.

doomgaze3

Nov 29, 2007
Oh yeah: This is probably the wrong forum for this topic. I direct your attention to:
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/index.html

Though, now that I think of it, that forum requires a CD key... You didn't happen to pirate this game did you? :p

Cryofthewolf

Feb 28, 2008
No, I own it.

Yeah, I know the three different camera modes in the corner of the screen. I've tried them all, tweaked them all, and they still don't work.

Thank you for the link to the Bioware website, but it doesn't have anything that would help. (You'd think that it would be there, considering that it is the OFFICIAL website for the game...) o_O

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
Hmmmm. I seem to remember having the same thing. I think I fixed it by using the strategy mode camera (press * until you get it) and in game options -> strategy mode I have the camera focus on "directly on controlled character", and then I zoom out to the max. Hope that works for you.

Cryofthewolf

Feb 28, 2008
Sounds Good Goob, but is it the same thing as the original camera angle? I mean, if it is better than the crap-tastic camera system that the game has now I'll take it in a heartbeat, but it would be amazing if it was the same thing as the original camera.

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
Hmmm, I believe that's the same as the original camera. At least it is for me as far as I remember, the only thing is I'm not 100% sure if there are any other options I changed but am forgetting about now.

doomgaze3

Nov 29, 2007
I like the new system better. I tweaked around with it quite a bit to get it the way I want it. The way I have it set up, the strategy mode (love it!) operates just like the old Infinity Engine games. Exploration mode works just like the original NWN and Character mode works exactly like WoW. The best of all worlds!