New 2D and 3D Mario Games Coming to 3DS

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
New 2D and 3D Mario Games Coming to 3DS

Nintendo promises to satisfy the needs of both 2D and 3D Super Mario fans with its 3DS lineup.

Nintendo's side-scrolling Super Mario titles might sell much better than his adventures in 3D, but Nintendo recognizes that there's an audience for each type. Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto recently said that when it comes to the 3DS, the entire Super Mario audience will be satisfied with Nintendo's offerings because they'll include new titles in both 2D and 3D.

At a Q&A session that occurred during a recent Nintendo earnings briefing, Miyamoto admitted that certain Mario fans just don't enjoy 3D titles like New Super Mario Bros. Wii [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-64-DS-Nintendo/dp/B0006B0O9U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1288709310&sr=8-2], which was more successful at retail than Galaxy.

However, the sales figures for the Wii's Super Mario titles haven't stopped Miyamoto and Nintendo from keeping both types of the plumber's adventures alive. "When asked 'what will we do on 3DS,' the answer is, of course, we'll make both," Miyamoto revealed. "They both have their own appeal." No specific Mario titles outside of Paper Mario for 3DS have been announced, but we apparently have plenty on the way.

Miyamoto actually sees the 3DS as a system that can improve the way a 3D Mario game plays. He said that while the depth of platforms in a 3D game can be difficult to perceive at times, the 3DS's screen may help this aspect to become more prominent. Further, Miyamoto said the 3DS will enable the 2D Mario games to use enemies that come at the player from the background, amongst other new techniques. These are examples of how, in Nintendo's eye, the 3DS's glasses-free 3D effect may be more than a gimmick and actually improve gameplay in various ways.

To end the talk, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata told Miyamoto: "You went more in-depth than I'd been expected. This is the first I've heard of this." Miyamoto replied: "No good? Don't tell any game magazine people." It's far too late for that.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/02/3ds_mario_games/]

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
The Gentleman said:
*crosses fingers for another Paper Mario RPG*
Uhhh....yea....they're making one....a new one.
I think it was announced at E3. It goes back to turn based combat and uses a new "decal" system to modify the environment and such. I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT

I have a feeling they're gonna remake Sunshine, and there will probably be some 3d remakes of classic 2d games which will either be sold on the virtual console or in a bundle. There's no way they're going to remake NSMB or Galaxy (IMO). We can definitely expect a few original Mario titles, despite all the imminent complaints about Nintendo doing nothing but selling 10 year old games again. The truth is, they're one of the best developers at consistently improving and expanding their franchises.

Mario Galaxy was fantastic, (seriously fucking brilliant) but I wouldn't mind going back to the larger, more open world types of M64 and Sunshine for an original 3d title. Getting stars in those games had a certain puzzle aspect that Galaxy didn't have as much of, and I think those game types would be improved more by stereoscopy.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Do nitendo really need to anounce that they are making mnew mario games for their new handheld because i think thats a given at this point.

Looking forward to what they come up with though just as long as its not Super Mario Galaxy 3DS

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Sweet. I like both types, but 3D Mario games stand out more for me and I believe would serve the 3DS well, even if just a remake or Galaxy.
Another reason to get a 3DS despite the pant wettingly fanboy-ish delight of Ocarina of Time on a handheld...IN 3D!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
As long as it's not Super Mario Sunshine 3DS. New stuff please, not ports of stuff I can already play.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Well it's good that they're making both still. Personally, I have always detested the 2D Mario platformers, let alone most of that specific game type. Mario 64 showed that they could do a lot to create a world with actual appeal, mystery, and opportunities for exploration. There isn't so much room on a 2D platformer to allow such freedom.

Scrumpmonkey said:
£10 says they are remakes
The cynical part of me thinks that, deep inside every Mario game, aren't they all remakes? :p

In all seriousness, some breath of fresh air would be welcomed over Mario Galaxy 3DS.