New Ace Attorney, 'Classic' IP Revival in the Works for 2014, Capcom Says

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
New Ace Attorney, 'Classic' IP Revival in the Works for 2014, Capcom Says

I have no objection to the titles Capcom is teasing for 2014.

Capcom, in an extensive interview with Japanese magazine 4gamer [http://www.4gamer.net/games/000/G000000/20131213085/], teased several new games the publisher has in the works for 2014, including a new title in the long-running Ace Attorney series. Ace Attorney 1-3 and Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright Director Shu Takumi also said that his new title, featuring a brand-new IP, will be announced next year.

But it wasn't all Ace Attorney news. Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara Producer Kenji Kataoka mentioned that one of Capcom's most "classic" IPs will be getting a revival by the end of 2014. He said he would have more information for us "when it gets a bit warmer." Are we finally getting the true Ghosts 'n Goblins sequel we've been waiting for all these years?

Deep Down Producer and Director of the Second Development Department Kazunori Sugiura added that Capcom intends to reaffirm its presence in the fighting genre in 2014. Perhaps Street Fighter V will finally arrive, bringing an actual competent fighting game to next-gen. Or maybe this ties in with Kataoka's announcement, and the classic Capcom IP being revived is Darkstalkers?

Takeshi Yamazaki, who was the director for the most recently released Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10680-Phoenix-Wright-Ace-Attorney-Dual-Destinies-Review], said that his team is now working full force on the next title in the series.

Either way, it looks like there is a little something for everyone coming next year from Capcom.

Source: DualShockers [http://www.4gamer.net/games/000/G000000/20131213085/]

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Please, for the love of your deity let it be Devil May Cry 5.
Unfortunately, I think it's about as likely as a new Megaman game at this point given Capcom seem to have some odd hatred towards the IP...

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Infernai said:
Adam Jensen said:
Please, for the love of your deity let it be Devil May Cry 5.
Unfortunately, I think it's about as likely as a new Megaman game at this point given Capcom seem to have some odd hatred towards the IP...
I'm almost cynical enough to believe it IS a megaman game.

Puuuurely because of the Mighty No. Nine thing...

Seems like a douchey enough thing for Capcom to do.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Classic IP revival huh? Did they say anything about the platform of choice BTW? Because with their recent investment in the mobile industry, we can and should expect a watered and dumbed down version of an old arcade classic on a smart phone. But at least it is something, right?

Considering that megaman got Xover, it is out of question in this case.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
"Classic IP"?

New/better Breath of Fire, Dino Crisis, Power Stone, Ghosts 'N Goblins, Darkstalkers, Godhand, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Chaos Legion, Bionic Commando, Captain Commando, Puzzle Fighter, Rival Schools, Onimusha, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, P.N.03, Killer7, Maximo, Gargoyle's Quest, Demons Crest, or Zack & Wiki would be nice.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Lessee what the possibilities are:

Cyberbots
Dino Crisis
Final Fight
Ghosts n Goblins
Onimusha
Power Stone
Rival Schools
Star Gladiator
Viewtiful Joe

Not exactly a small considering. My guess is that the smaller fare like Final Fight or Goblins could be downloads while bigger ones like Dino Crisis or the fighting games could be retail. Then again, a lot of these could also be digital re-releases. I wouldn't mind it for stuff like Power Stone

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I guess it's too much to have an actual new Onimusha game, not that piece of crap card game.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Knowing how perverse / hateful of their fan base Capcom can be, it might well be Trojan and a remake of Street Fighter 2010.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Nice to see Capcom getting back to it's older franchises, and even better to hear that ANOTHER new Ace Attorney game is coming out. Can't wait to see what we get.