New Bacteria Replaces Need For Gasoline

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
The Plunk said:
Ah yes, another wonderful miracle creation of science that will never see common usage because the oil companies have far too much money and power, and plan to keep it.

Capitalism.
Read my mind. Although it's probably as good as it sounds, the people in charge of this little project will either get scattered to the winds or end up in a ditch. We won't hear about it ever again.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Foxbat Flyer said:
This will end up like the rumour of the engine that runs on water... Apparently there is an engine that is fully functional that runs on water, but it was sold to the highest bidder (Who happened to be an oil/fuel company), and has since been put on a shelf for when we run out of oil... but its just a rumour, so im not sure how much truth in that one...
There IS an engine that runs on water. Odds are you have seen one.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Julian_West said:
[...]

Returning to the news article, thermodynamics has a special case that we like to use in life science, the 10% rule:

Every time you go up a level in the food chain you only retain 10% of the previous energy

This rule of thumb suggests that the available energy for our microbes is only 1/10 that of the cellulose that we feed it therefore the MAXIMUM amount of fuel we could possibly get is 10% the energy content of the feedstock. In reality, this figure is much lower.
Not a life scientist here, so please bear with me. If we're losing 90% of the feedstock energy in this type of process, that means we're going to need an extraordinary amount of cellulose to make this even a viable supplement to dino-gas. So, the purported 323 tons of waste material (even notwithstanding the issues of recycling and transportation) isn't going to put a huge dent in the 6.85 billion barrels of oil America uses each year (source: http://205.254.135.24/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=33&t=6 ).

What if algae were cultivated as feedstock? Essentially, growing algae requires dirt and sunlight. Would that make this process more viable?

hansari

May 31, 2009
RicoGrey said:
The one that concerns me the most is the toxic at 20g per liter. I do not know what that means exactly, but I know what toxic means, and it ain't good.
If you ever take organic chemistry, you'll learn that most chemicals are harmful to the body. Even the ones that science has made useful and manageable for common people to buy off store shelves is often "toxic".

For example, take Bleach. Useful and found in most homes. Those who put this product on your store shelves expect you to read the instructions and dilute any quantities you use. Spill a little on your skin, nothing to worry about, just wash the area. Ingesting any amount though is very dangerous. So Bleach is in that "toxic" category, but is still commonly used.

Basically, there is always a risk involved and some chemicals are more dangerous then others. Gasoline can be dangerous but is made publicly available. Anything deemed far too dangerous though won't be made easily accessible...

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
Elementlmage said:
Butanol, on the other hand, is amazingly similar to gasoline, giving it two major advantages over its better-known brother. Firstly, butanol can be used in your Bonneville (though it still won't get you any dates) and any other car currently on the road. Secondly, it's convenient to produce and easy to transport.
You have left out a HUUUUUGE caveat my friend. Alcohol based fuels are completely incompatible with engines not designed to run on alcohol. Yes, you car will start and run, but, the alcohol will damage your seals and wash away the oil from your piston rings resulting in (GREATLY) increased wear and reducing service life. IIRC BMW did a test with ethanol and found that it wore out the piston rings after 20k miles.
Read what you quoted again. I was talking about butanol, not ethanol, which has indeed been tested to cause the exact problems you just described. Butanol has not been tested to cause these issues.
Why don't you read what you quoted? -Anol is the suffix for ANY chemical compound that is a monohydric alcohol. Ethanol is not the only type, another less common type is methanol which is made from cooking wood.

Any liquid alcohol WILL cause similar problems(minus the corrosion OFC, but that does need to be tested) as those reported for ethanol, because all liquid alcohols make great solvents; it's just the nature of the beast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol

Read, because knowledge is power

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Elementlmage said:
Mike Kayatta said:
Elementlmage said:
Butanol, on the other hand, is amazingly similar to gasoline, giving it two major advantages over its better-known brother. Firstly, butanol can be used in your Bonneville (though it still won't get you any dates) and any other car currently on the road. Secondly, it's convenient to produce and easy to transport.
You have left out a HUUUUUGE caveat my friend. Alcohol based fuels are completely incompatible with engines not designed to run on alcohol. Yes, you car will start and run, but, the alcohol will damage your seals and wash away the oil from your piston rings resulting in (GREATLY) increased wear and reducing service life. IIRC BMW did a test with ethanol and found that it wore out the piston rings after 20k miles.
Read what you quoted again. I was talking about butanol, not ethanol, which has indeed been tested to cause the exact problems you just described. Butanol has not been tested to cause these issues.
Why don't you read what you quoted? -Anol is the suffix for ANY chemical compound that is a monohydric alcohol. Ethanol is not the only type, another less common type is methanol which is made from cooking wood.

Any liquid alcohol WILL cause similar problems(minus the corrosion OFC, but that does need to be tested) as those reported for ethanol, because all liquid alcohols make great solvents; it's just the nature of the beast.

/facepalm. "Alcohol based fuels are completely incompatible with engines not designed to run on alcohol."-you. Untrue. Wikipedia, first line: "Butanol may be used as a fuel in an internal combustion engine." Then, later: "It can be used in unmodified gasoline engines." Also, when did I dispute that butanol was an alcohol? In fact, that's the reason I referred to them as brothers in the article above. Also, if you read the reports from Tulane, they completely disagree with your vague statement that "any liquid alcohol will cause similar problems." Between a brilliant set of scientists who do this for a living, and someone who quotes wikipedia about the definition of alcohol when the nature of butanol as an alcohol was never in question, I choose the scientists. And since we're now being apparently being snarky with 90s catch phrases, I say the following: "It's science!" Now, pardon me while I moonwalk out of any further discussion on this non-argument to the Bill Nye theme song. **Bill Nye the Science Guy, Biiilll Nyyyyeee the Sciennnncceeee guuuuyyy... BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL!**

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Elementlmage said:
Mike Kayatta said:
Elementlmage said:

/facepalm. "Alcohol based fuels are completely incompatible with engines not designed to run on alcohol."-you. Untrue. Wikipedia, first line: "Butanol may be used as a fuel in an internal combustion engine." Then, later: "It can be used in unmodified gasoline engines." Also, when did I dispute that butanol was an alcohol? In fact, that's the reason I referred to them as brothers in the article above. Also, if you read the reports from Tulane, they completely disagree with your vague statement that "any liquid alcohol will cause similar problems." Between a brilliant set of scientists who do this for a living, and someone who quotes wikipedia about the definition of alcohol when the nature of butanol as an alcohol was never in question, I choose the scientists. And since we're now apparently being snarky with 90s catch phrases, I say the following: "It's science!" Now, pardon me while I moonwalk out of any further discussion on this non-argument to the Bill Nye theme song. **Bill Nye the Science Guy, Biiilll Nyyyyeee the Sciennnncceeee guuuuyyy... BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL!**

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
So first we turn poop into edible steak. ((I believe they labeled the fridge they keep it in "SHIT BURGER"))

Now your telling me my dump can be used to make car fuel?
Does this mean i can get payed to poop?

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Ok, for one thing mixing in alcohols into fuel creates a heap of troubles with current engines. Over here in europe, we got this crazy stuff called E10 - a type of supposedly ecological alternative to regular 95 octane fuel which has a set amount of alcohols mixed into it.

If you aren't an owner of those 10% or so cars that actually support that fuel, you will RUIN your engine pumping that fuel. It ain't exactly a perfect solution right now. There is a lot of investment necessary to "switch" from regular fuel to some alcohol based fuel - gas stations need to be upgraded, dedicated fuel tanks built at local refineries and distribution nodes and car manufacturers need to adapt engines to perform reliable and efficient with it. It's a lot of money that needs to be spent here - and in the end it's the consumer who needs to pay for it.

Are YOU willing to pay for a green alternative that will cost you ... lets pick a number... about 60$/? a month more when you could just go with what you have right now ?

That kind of bacteria has been in research for some time now. I believe I heard about it around 2002 or so. It was a nice study of some genious genetic modification to create that kind of bacteria... basicly they built 90% of it. If this really makes it into the market, just remember that this is evil evil dangerous genetic manipulation. Really scary stuff right ?

Btw, you might be pleasently surprised to know that "those big mean oil giants" invest into other stuff beside sating your need for oil - like solar and wind energy. There are bad apples in the bunch like in any other industry of course, but on the whole, I believe that oil companies would be quite willing to invest into a fuelsource they could safly and reliably reproduce anywhere instead of having to invest into socially unstable regions, tap very unsafe oilfields and risk catastrophic spills like on deepwater horizon.
If you think about it - they stand the most to win with this bacteria and they have the funds to develop it to a point where they can supply a sufficient quantity to the market.

LITE992

Jun 18, 2011
Only problem is that humans fight over oil like children do over toys. Whenever the opportunity to obtain something better arises, they don't jump on it because they're too busy fighting over the toy.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
Elementlmage said:
Mike Kayatta said:
Elementlmage said:

/facepalm. "Alcohol based fuels are completely incompatible with engines not designed to run on alcohol."-you. Untrue. Wikipedia, first line: "Butanol may be used as a fuel in an internal combustion engine." Then, later: "It can be used in unmodified gasoline engines." Also, when did I dispute that butanol was an alcohol? In fact, that's the reason I referred to them as brothers in the article above. Also, if you read the reports from Tulane, they completely disagree with your vague statement that "any liquid alcohol will cause similar problems." Between a brilliant set of scientists who do this for a living, and someone who quotes wikipedia about the definition of alcohol when the nature of butanol as an alcohol was never in question, I choose the scientists. And since we're now being apparently being snarky with 90s catch phrases, I say the following: "It's science!" Now, pardon me while I moonwalk out of any further discussion on this non-argument to the Bill Nye theme song. **Bill Nye the Science Guy, Biiilll Nyyyyeee the Sciennnncceeee guuuuyyy... BILL! BILL! BILL! BILL!**
Why don't you keep reading?

"Alcohol fuels, including butanol and ethanol, are partially oxidized and therefore need to run at richer mixtures than gasoline. Standard gasoline engines in cars can adjust the air-fuel ratio to accommodate variations in the fuel, but only within certain limits depending on model. If the limit is exceeded by running the engine on pure butanol or a gasoline blend with a high percentage of butanol, the engine will run lean, something which can critically damage components."

Older model cars (such as a '95 Bonneville) do not have very advanced anti-knock systems and will be unable to accommodate the increased F/A ratio and in some cars it may require a fuel pump upgrade. In fact, depending on how Butanol like to burn compared to Gasoline, it may require the installation of new fuel injector with modified spray patterns.

What the Tulane article was referring to was the similar Octane rating that Butanol shares with Gasoline. Butanol has an anemic MON rating compared to gasoline though, which would limit the level of compression able to be achieved in an ICE at higher than idle RPMs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_ratio

And you still failed to address the solvent nature of Butanol and it's effects on fuel seals and the piston rings.

Just because the engine can burn the fuel does not mean it will not have adverse effects. The use of alcohols as fuel in engines has well documented side effects. Alcohols ARE corrosive (not the qualifier in the Tulane article, "LESS corrosive") to aluminum parts (most new engine blocks are made of aluminum and almost all intake manifolds from the past 20 years are as well), and because they are extremely efficient solvents, they WILL wash the oil off the piston rings causing increased wear and eventual failure! These facts are not in dispute, and the Tulane study has done nothing to change that!

And, since you are apparently unaware of the important role that piston rings serve:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piston_ring

Premature failure of the piston rings will allow fuel to leak into the crank case and mix with the engine oil which will lower its life span and result in increased wear to any engine part that relies on the oil; oil pump, valve train, cam shafts, crank shaft, etc.; alcohols basically bring a slow death to engines that are not properly designed from the ground up to handle them.

But yeah, keep living in your fantasy world full of indigence and assumption.

syrus27 said:
I'm on a really bad vibe with my posts at the moment but can we please stop with this bullshit?

According to the escapist forums, in the past few months obscure north american unis have found the cure to cancer, solved the 'global energy crisis,' found a way to end world hunger and now have created an endless supply of gasoline?

If I didn't know better I'd swear it was spam.

Can we please start to apply a little critical thinking and not just believe everything we read on the web?
Thank you!

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
Phishfood said:
Foxbat Flyer said:
This will end up like the rumour of the engine that runs on water... Apparently there is an engine that is fully functional that runs on water, but it was sold to the highest bidder (Who happened to be an oil/fuel company), and has since been put on a shelf for when we run out of oil... but its just a rumour, so im not sure how much truth in that one...
There IS an engine that runs on water. Odds are you have seen one.

I like it! I am going to be putting one in my car ASAP!