New Bill Could Lead to Potential Life Sentences For Guilty Swatters

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
New Bill Could Lead to Potential Life Sentences For Guilty Swatters

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1007/1007729.png

With the FBI recording nearly 400 annual incidents, US lawmakers are preparing a new bill that could lead to heftier sentences for swatters.

On the off chance you're lucky enough to have not had your faith in humanity shaken by this disgusting practice, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/swatting>swatting is <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136068-SWAT-Raids-Counter-Strike-Player-Live-on-Twitch>a "prank" where someone reports a false crime so serious that local police feel compelled <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137142-SWAT-Team-Raids-Livestreaming-Counter-Strike-Player-In-Swatting-Hoax>to assault an innocent person's private residence with a SWAT team. It's dangerous, it's cruel, it wastes a ton of time and money and it has, sadly, been used frequently over the past few years to terrorize individuals within the American gaming community. Earlier this year, a swatter in Las Vegas faced up to five years in prison after <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139772-Swatter-Arrested-in-Las-Vegas-Could-Face-Five-Years-in-Prison>being arrested for his activities. A new bill currently being considered by US lawmakers could lead to future punishments that are even more severe than that.

Recently proposed by Congressional representatives Katherine Clark (D-MA) and Patrick Meehan (R-PA), the new bill is dubbed the Interstate Swatting Hoax Act of 2015 and is aimed at making swatting more difficult. To do this, the bill would close loopholes in the existing laws that govern emergency reporting. Closing these loopholes would make swatting the equivalent of falsely reporting a bomb threat or terrorist attack. More importantly, if the bill passes, swatters caught by law enforcement could find themselves facing prison sentences ranging from a year all the way up to life. A life sentence would only be handed down if a swatting call resulted in a death. Calls that resulted in bodily harm could earn a guilty swatter a sentence up to 20 years.

Speaking personally, I'm going to go ahead and say that I think this bill is a move in the right direction. Don't get me wrong, I don't want people in prison. That said, the FBI has estimated that, over the past few years, there have been as many <a href=http://katherineclark.house.gov/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=F71DAD9F-18E6-4B66-8B11-384911DE591B>as 400 swatting incidents annually. It's not uncommon for people to get hurt when these happens and, even when they don't, there's really no understating how devastatingly terrifying it can be for the victims when they find themselves facing down armed police officers screaming at them for a crime they didn't commit. Whether or not you agree that this is the right step to take, something clearly has to be done.

Source: Naked Security

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
This has been long overdo but I am a little off put by it carrying a life sentence even if the police mistakenly kill someone. It certainly warrants prison time but that seems a bit excessive to me. It is a serious issue but I doubt, or rather hope many people who swat don't do it with the intention to kill someone.

It just seems off to me that two people could commit the exact same crime of swatting but receive such vastly different sentences based on the outcome.

The Salty Baron

Dec 16, 2013
Lifetime in prison? Maybe not quite that harsh, but i'd agree these idiots need to still get a few years - personally atleast.

I understand their intention is to 'prank' or to scare people, but it is essentially plotting to have someone harmed in some form, or even killed.

The fact that nobody has been killed yet(?) does show some professionalism from each unit involved when these manage to get through.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Blazing Hero said:
This has been long overdo but I am a little off put by it carrying a life sentence even if the police mistakenly kill someone. It certainly warrants prison time but that seems a bit excessive to me. It is a serious issue but this seems to be going overboard.
Life sentence does seem excessive, but looking at it a different way, it is assault with a deadly weapon. If your pre-meditated assault with a deadly weapon results in a death, it's no different that a first degree murder.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Blazing Hero said:
This has been long overdo but I am a little off put by it carrying a life sentence. It certainly warrants prison time but that seems a bit excessive to me. It is a serious issue but this seems to be going overboard.
Pretty much. Most of the people who do swatting are dumb kids, doing dumb kid things because they think 'lol internet.' The punishment should absolutely be enough to scare the dumb kid out of them, but I also don't think that ruining their life in return is a just way to deal with this.

It depends entirely on the context of course. If someone dies, well, they should be looking at manslaughter charges. If there's serious bodily harm, then there should absolutely be some jailtime and enough fines to pay for the victim's medical expenses and personal hardship. In situations where no one gets hurt though? Scare the hell out of them and cut them loose with a fine, some probation and some substantial community service.

I really don't want to see a dumb kid get sent off to be raped and brutalized in jail (and/or have their chances at a decent life afterwards ruined) because he had a moment of absolute idiocy where no one got hurt.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Silentpony said:
No way it passes. You'll never get people to okay 20 years for a 13 year old little shit COD player.
Well some tough law is needed, 13 year olds who kill are treated harshly, why should those who put people's lives in danger intentionally and needlessly not be treated so as well?

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Ukomba said:
Blazing Hero said:
This has been long overdo but I am a little off put by it carrying a life sentence even if the police mistakenly kill someone. It certainly warrants prison time but that seems a bit excessive to me. It is a serious issue but this seems to be going overboard.
Life sentence does seem excessive, but looking at it a different way, it is assault with a deadly weapon. If your pre-meditated assault with a deadly weapon results in a death, it's no different that a first degree murder.
I agree somewhat but I suppose it all comes down to intent. It would really be hard to classify it on the same lines as first degree murder since it would almost be impossible to prove that the person swatting was attempting to actually kill the other person. I suppose I am a bit naive and view it more as what a terrible person would consider a prank. It deserves a stiff punishment and I make no excuses for it considering how vile swatting is. My main issue though is I am having trouble swallowing the idea that most people who Swat want their victim to die.

Sep 24, 2008
Whatever time you get for "Attempted Murder" (if the victim survives) or Involuntary Manslaughter (if the victim is killed) is the appropriate amount of time. I get that you're trying to scare these people, but you're now bending the law and the reasonable consequences to prove a point. That's what fascists do.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Blazing Hero said:
Ukomba said:
Blazing Hero said:
I agree somewhat but I suppose it all comes down to intent. It would really be hard to classify it on the same lines as first degree murder since it would almost be impossible to prove that the person swatting was attempting to actually kill the other person. I suppose I am a bit naive and view it more as what a terrible person would consider a prank. It deserves a stiff punishment and I make no excuses for it considering how vile swatting is. My main issue though is I am having trouble swallowing the idea that most people who Swat want their victim to die.
It's really like firing a gun blindly in a persons general direction, in the intent to scare them. Regardless of if you mean to hit them or not, or think it's just a prank, attempted murder would be the charge, I think. Hard to make the claim, if you hit them with one of the shots, that you didn't mean to.

But, perhaps you're right, it might be closer to manslaughter.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Blazing Hero said:
This has been long overdo but I am a little off put by it carrying a life sentence even if the police mistakenly kill someone. It certainly warrants prison time but that seems a bit excessive to me. It is a serious issue but I doubt, or rather hope many people who swat don't do it with the intention to kill someone.

It just seems off to me that two people could commit the exact same crime of swatting but receive such vastly different sentences based on the outcome.
The thing is that it can be seen as criminal indifference to human life, since the person who ends up getting the SWAT team to go to someone's house/business and end up opening fire resulting in a death. The person knowingly is putting another person in mortal danger for a prank, that is absolutely IMO criminal indifference and at least a murder 2 IIRC charge if someone dies as a result.
You don't have to pull a trigger to be convicted of homicide, you just have to set up the circumstances knowing that it could happen and not do a damn thing to stop it.
I have no problem with that sentence should someone die as a result. If it were a kid doing it, they'd plea down to a lesser charge most likely because of mitigating circumstances, but that kid still shows a potential of not giving a fuck whether someone gets hurt or not.
Mistakes are when you do something by accident, but a deliberate "prank" such as SWATing is absolutely not a mistake or accident should someone get hurt or killed in the process.
Sorry, I just have no sympathy for a person who would end up getting a SWAT team called out to another person's house getting a massive sentence for it, no matter what the result. There is too much potential for loss of life because of that and its ridiculous to me to be able to see a teenager or grown ass person not understand that the guns those SWAT cops carry are fucking lethal and can result in massive injury if not death.

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Blazing Hero said:
Ukomba said:
Blazing Hero said:
Snip
I agree somewhat but I suppose it all comes down to intent. It would really be hard to classify it on the same lines as first degree murder since it would almost be impossible to prove that the person swatting was attempting to actually kill the other person. I suppose I am a bit naive and view it more as what a terrible person would consider a prank. It deserves a stiff punishment! The problem is I am having trouble swallowing the idea that most people who Swat want their victim to die.
Their "prank" involves getting Law Enforcement sending out an armed response unit into a situation, that for all intents and purposes, they believe warrants it. What do you think they intended when they get people with bloody guns breaking down somebody door.

It is only a matter of time until somebody thinks its a home invasion, pulls their own gun, and is shot.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I don't know, think of it as trying to scare the shit out of someone with your car. If you accidentally run them over while purposely driving like a maniac/veering towards them is that man slaughter or murder? Whichever it is, I imagine swatting should be treated similarly.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I oppose longer sentences as a general rule. They don't appear to serve as a deterrent, they don't seem to provide much of a function to society, and the only thing they seem to do is make a vengeance-hungry public feel better. I guess thankfully this only applies if someone dies in this proposal, but this seems like another case of the exact form of disproportionate response that leads to swatting in the first place. Escalation tends to beget escalation.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fappy said:
I don't know, think of it as trying to scare the shit out of someone with your car. If you accidentally run them over while purposely driving like a maniac/veering towards them is that man slaughter or murder? Whichever it is, I imagine swatting should be treated similarly.
Jesus, Fappy, I only did it once and you said you were okay. Why do you have to keep bringing it...

Oh, I mean...ummm...>.>

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Something Amyss said:
Fappy said:
Jesus, Fappy, I only did it once and you said you were okay. Why do you have to keep bringing it...

Oh, I mean...ummm...>.>
It was a school zone!

Did the flashing lights on the sign give you a seizure or something?!

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
If through your actions you cause the death of someone, and said action was something that could have been easily avoided (ie not setting someone up to be shot), then I believe that person is a danger to the public and should not be allowed their freedom. As for the amount of time they serve, I'm not sure what is an appropriate time frame to be fair.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I was going to say that Life seemed a bit harsh, but then I read the part that said that would only happen if someone died. I can agree with that. You pull a mean, cruel, terror attack on another person (because that's what it is--an attack designed to induce terror and fear) as a form of pitiful entertainment or revenge, and the person dies because of your actions? You're done in my book. You have no thought for human life.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Burnhardt said:
Blazing Hero said:
Ukomba said:
Blazing Hero said:
Snip
I agree somewhat but I suppose it all comes down to intent. It would really be hard to classify it on the same lines as first degree murder since it would almost be impossible to prove that the person swatting was attempting to actually kill the other person. I suppose I am a bit naive and view it more as what a terrible person would consider a prank. It deserves a stiff punishment! The problem is I am having trouble swallowing the idea that most people who Swat want their victim to die.
Their "prank" involves getting Law Enforcement sending out an armed response unit into a situation, that for all intents and purposes, they believe warrants it. What do you think they intended when they get people with bloody guns breaking down somebody door.

It is only a matter of time until somebody thinks its a home invasion, pulls their own gun, and is shot.
Did you read what I wrote? It seems like you only skimmed it so I'll just repost the key section,

"view it more as what a terrible person would consider a prank"

I never said I personally view it as a prank just what I believe these people would probably claim. I personally see it as a very serious crime.