New BlazBlue Skips Xbox 360, Dev Says It'd be "An Inferior Version"

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I'm a little clueless about these kinds of things, but if this is really the case, then wouldn't it be feasible to have it as a downloadable game? Or to have a second disk that installs part of the game onto the console?

And in a particularly special show of my ignorance, I have to ask - what is particularly memory-consuming about this game?

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
1. require a hd to play, a ton of games do this just have an install disc or a download.
2. what the heck takes up so much room its a 2d fighter running at 768p resolution on ps3...

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
why not port it to PC?, there you dont even have to deal with any sort of physical constraints, you get a bigger cut out of every sale and also worth nothing, your game can technically sell forever, not limited by console lifespans or printing runs
Probably because then the cat would be out of the bag and it'd be revealed that the game could easily fit on a dual layer DVD anyway, I'm not even sure how you'd fill it, considering SF3 Third Strike didn't even take up the entirety of the Dreamcast's 1GB CD format. Maybe there's some under the table agreement with Sony, who knows~

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
RanceJustice said:
I couldn't really care less about console releases, but if this is one of their justifications, then this would be a perfect reason to release the game via Steam (Properly - not the asinine moneygrab that was the recent port of Calamity Trigger by some no-name 3rd party, not even including online play!). You want to put 10+ gb of game content on the drive? No problem.

As others have mentioned, it should be exceedingly easy to port as the arcade versions of the entire BlazBlue series run on a form of WindowsXP. Create an enhanced version of ChronoPhantasma and release it on Steam with a comprehensive feature set and a reasonable price point - I can guarantee it will do well.

Especially for fighting game developers, Steam and PC in general seems like a perfect platform, as you don't have to press a new disc or bow down to MS/Sony to release an update, or even to sell an "expansion pack". If a few years back they started with a PC version of Calamity Trigger, and allowed users to pay a small, reasonable amount to upgrade through every further iteration (Continuum Shift, Continuum Shift 2 etc...), I can nearly guarantee they'd make more money on that platform worldwide than anything else.
If they do decide to port then they do, if they don't well they don't.

I still remember the massive butthurt backlash of the very few who owned 1440p monitors when MGR came out on Steam even though it was platinums first job, especially being firsthand Japanese game designers for consoles.

besides in this day and age consoles still get their exclusives and so does the PC, it's a horrible thought to want to live in a world where one's desire overrides everyone elses by having consoles with no exclusives (thus proving their own desire of not wanting them to exist at all and that in it;s own right is selfish thought at work)and PC's will everything exclusive.

hell there are quite some people out there that still want PC exclusives to come to their consoles from games that are incredibly dated these days yet they don't get shit even though their hardware can manage them.

I'm actually really happy that WarHorse studio has decided to let console owners help pledge and also design their Kingdom Come Deliverance game for both consoles and PC unlike Chris roberts insulting the console and even mobile audience by constantly giving them the finger with his intro videos in such a childish manner that really isn't warranted.

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:
besides in this day and age consoles still get their exclusives and so does the PC, it's a horrible thought to want to live in a world where one's desire overrides everyone elses by having consoles with no exclusives (thus proving their own desire of not wanting them to exist at all and that in it;s own right is selfish thought at work)and PC's will everything exclusive.
With most non-indie games nowadays, the cost of making the assets, modeling, marketing, voice acting, and motion capture far dwarf the costs of the port especially as the new generation is going to a unified x86 architecture. In this kind of climate, there aren't very many reasons not to port AAA games.

Besides, exclusivity is not the only reason to have a console. Consoles at least have these things going for it:
- Technical ease
- Games designed to be more controller oriented
- Cheaper entry cost for the less technically savvy
- Abilty to lend games
- Used games

Faustek

Aug 5, 2013
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Oh god it's funny because BB never really did well on the Xbox originally to begin with but now the cats out of the bag that it's the fault of a disc, suddenly means we'll all pine for a PC version while ignoring the fact it's PS3 exclusive and well it's on PS3.

Then again this site is 90% pro PC so I don't expect any different really but i wish I could for once.
To me that's the boring part. False excuses. Come clean so the people who can't afford multiple systems can weigh
all the games and go with that instead of hoping for a future release :/

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
God damn it. Fuck you, guys. I love BlazBlue, but I only have a 360 and PS4. Please at least tell me I'll be able to get it on my current gen console.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
sneakypenguin said:
1. require a hd to play, a ton of games do this just have an install disc or a download.
2. what the heck takes up so much room its a 2d fighter running at 768p resolution on ps3...
That's your answer right there. 2D. For a 3D game, all you need for each character is a polygon mesh, a lot of animation scripts that take up very little space, and a single texture. For a 2D game, every frame of animation for every move has to be its own image. Those add up quickly. It's the reason why Dust: an Elysian Tail wound up using inverse kinematics (basically a digital version of paper cut-out dolls that are held together with brass fasteners) for all of the enemies and heavily compressed character portraits even though all they were was one-second loops with custom lip-synching.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Kheapathic said:
As of right now there's no plans for Chrono Phantasma to go on the PS4. PS4 is going to get Guilty Gear Xrd and while not Blaz Blue, Blaz Blue was the spiritual successor to Guilty Gear. So it's far from the same game, but same spirit and style so there's that on the horizon... I know, it's not Blaz Blue, but it's very close.
Well that's like telling me I can't get Halo on my console, so I should buy Killzone instead. I don't right much care if they're the same genre, the point is I wanted Halo. If I wanted Guilty Gear then I wouldn't be asking about BlazBlue.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Fighting games have always been on the low part of my "to buy" game spectrum. Not saying they suck, but the amount of excitement they inspire is minimal. Against AI I manage to hold my own until the cheap boss rolls out. Needless to say I've played Blaze Blue and liked the style. Quite refreshing next to the Tekkens and SF games. That being said I'm kinda surprised that a Xbox isn't going to see this one. Even more shocking is the number of those asking for a PC port. Most people I know on PC don't really subscribe to the fighting game genre. Perhaps it's as some pointed out; there's not many available. I'd figured the company would try to get as many platforms as possible either way. More sales is more money, no?

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Shadow-Phoenix said:
RanceJustice said:
I couldn't really care less about console releases, but if this is one of their justifications, then this would be a perfect reason to release the game via Steam (Properly - not the asinine moneygrab that was the recent port of Calamity Trigger by some no-name 3rd party, not even including online play!). You want to put 10+ gb of game content on the drive? No problem.

As others have mentioned, it should be exceedingly easy to port as the arcade versions of the entire BlazBlue series run on a form of WindowsXP. Create an enhanced version of ChronoPhantasma and release it on Steam with a comprehensive feature set and a reasonable price point - I can guarantee it will do well.

Especially for fighting game developers, Steam and PC in general seems like a perfect platform, as you don't have to press a new disc or bow down to MS/Sony to release an update, or even to sell an "expansion pack". If a few years back they started with a PC version of Calamity Trigger, and allowed users to pay a small, reasonable amount to upgrade through every further iteration (Continuum Shift, Continuum Shift 2 etc...), I can nearly guarantee they'd make more money on that platform worldwide than anything else.
If they do decide to port then they do, if they don't well they don't.

I still remember the massive butthurt backlash of the very few who owned 1440p monitors when MGR came out on Steam even though it was platinums first job, especially being firsthand Japanese game designers for consoles.

hell there are quite some people out there that still want PC exclusives to come to their consoles from games that are incredibly dated these days yet they don't get shit even though their hardware can manage them.

I'm actually really happy that WarHorse studio has decided to let console owners help pledge and also design their Kingdom Come Deliverance game for both consoles and PC unlike Chris roberts insulting the console and even mobile audience by constantly giving them the finger with his intro videos in such a childish manner that really isn't warranted.
and why is the idea of exclusivity good? shouldnt i be able to enjoy a game i want in the platform i want?

i mean its pretty crazy to defend something designed only to milk cash out of the customers while we receive nothing in return

exclusives in general are bullshit unless they happen for the following reasons:

a) the game can only be properly played on a certain kind of hardware, like with Wii games and RTS on PC

b) the developer doesnt have the resources or manpower to port the game to other platforms, as is the case with small devs and indies

pretty much any other kind of excuse for not porting a game is bullshit (unless the dev personally doesnt want to port it for whatever reason)

Kheapathic said:
RanceJustice said:
... Especially for fighting game developers, Steam and PC in general seems like a perfect platform, as you don't have to press a new disc or bow down to MS/Sony to release an update, or even to sell an "expansion pack". If a few years back they started with a PC version of Calamity Trigger, and allowed users to pay a small, reasonable amount to upgrade through every further iteration (Continuum Shift, Continuum Shift 2 etc...), I can nearly guarantee they'd make more money on that platform worldwide than anything else.
Given with how vocal the PC user crowd is about how patches and updates are free as a standard, I'm glad Blaz Blue isn't there. So while you say they won't have to press a new disc or "bow down to MS/Sony," I'm sure the PC crowd wouldn't be that likely to pay for a patch; so I highly doubt "they'd make more money on that platform worldwide than anything else" as you put it. Fighting games already hold a niche audience, given that Blaz Blue is an anime fighter it holds even less attention when compared to games like Street Fighter or Marvel.

You should also understand that each iteration is a sizable change of gameplay and mechanics; while issuing a new disc may cost more to push out, it's easier to sell to people who live out in the sticks and don't have the best connection. You should also be aware that Continuum Shift 2 was a patch with no disc. You should also be aware that while each iteration has its own disc, they're not in the $60 price range unless you buy the Collector's Edition of the game.
well skullgirls comes from an even smaller dev and the game is on steam

whats wrong with balance patches being free? is the standard for pretty much everything elsea and i dont mean just PC, is also the standard for consoles, you dont have to pay for each battlefield 4 update (tough im pretty sure EA is considering it)

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
snippity snip
You're basically telling me you hate exclusives yet at the same time are defending some reasons "you" think are much more valid than what anyone else could put out as a reason, it's like you're making some kind of exception that everyone should abide by, if you don't want exclusives there should be no magical exceptions at all, mankind isn't some weak creature that can't advance for another 100 years, we've proven leaps and bounds with hardware over the years so we can do the same, especially with small indie devs when there can be given support where you look for it.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Shadow-Phoenix said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
snippity snip
You're basically telling me you hate exclusives yet at the same time are defending some reasons "you" think are much more valid than what anyone else could put out as a reason, it's like you're making some kind of exception that everyone should abide by, if you don't want exclusives there should be no magical exceptions at all, mankind isn't some weak creature that can't advance for another 100 years, we've proven leaps and bounds with hardware over the years so we can do the same, especially with small indie devs when there can be given support where you look for it.
oh i hate exclusives, but those are the few reasons i consider legitimate for an exclusive game to exist

would i ask for a PC port of a game designed around a specific hardware like say, the wii remote? no, id be dumb, how i am supposed to play boom blox with a mouse and keyboard?

second is indie devs and small devs, for which making a port is way too resource intensive, is it really worth it to ask for a port and only stress further their limited resources? id dare say this is the main reason why when we see indie ports they often come AFTER their original release, see guacamelee, the swapper, castle crashers, dont starve, among others. even big devs might not have the resources to support all platforms at once, see destiny, is it really reasonable to ask for a port from people who cant realistically provide one?

however when it comes to the latter, asking for a port after the initial release is more reasonable