New Code of Conduct

SolidState

May 30, 2015
FileTrekker said:
I'm not sure I understand this, I assume you mean peering in a private usergroup of some kind and then talking behind your backs in another group, or something?

Believe me we have neither the time nor inclination!
Then it may surprise you to learn that the incident that dunam was describing was not just a hypothetical; it actually happened.

And that's the thing, whether it be a moderator abusing their usergroup access rights, a moderator abusing their post editing rights, or simply the large number of 'weekend vacation' suspensions that later get overturned through appeal, there are a multitude of instances where the mods haven't been right.

If this site is turning over a new leaf, that's awesome to hear. I'm just saying that it's going to take a while to build up the trust again after those previous incidents.

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
SolidState said:
FileTrekker said:
I'm not sure I understand this, I assume you mean peering in a private usergroup of some kind and then talking behind your backs in another group, or something?

Believe me we have neither the time nor inclination!
Then it may surprise you to learn that the incident that dunam was describing was not just a hypothetical; it actually happened.

And that's the thing, whether it be a moderator abusing their usergroup access rights, a moderator abusing their post editing rights, or simply the large number of 'weekend vacation' suspensions that later get overturned through appeal, there are a multitude of instances where the mods haven't been right.

If this site is turning over a new leaf, that's awesome to hear. I'm just saying that it's going to take a while to build up the trust again after those previous incidents.
Absolutely.

I 100% agree trust is earned and not given, hopefully we do earn that trust from you guys, but I understand it will take a long time.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
FileTrekker said:
At the very least flag it so we can quickly bin it. ;)
So no more memeing the spodermon?

Darn, but it makes at least some sense. You might have someone new come around and click a dangerous link if the thread is trending.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
DoPo said:
MarsAtlas said:
What is the ettiquette when it comes to spoilers?
I'm also interested in this.

I've also have another question:

Off-Topic discussions. Interestingly, one appeared right in this thread[footnote]which reminded me to ask[/footnote] and the policy on these has never really been clear, yet most other forums I've been on, off-topic tends to be where the "minor issue offences" are if not just a tad lower - comments at least tangentially connected to the topic are certainly allowed and even one, two, or several would be tolerated but excessive offtopic posting is punished.
Still interested in these.

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
Zeconte said:
@n0e: One question I had is, would users intentionally calling someone by a slightly altered name or a different name entirely in a patronizing way on a consistent basis be considered passive aggressive? For instance, I've noticed a number of users who are rather hostile towards IceForce (whom I quoted above) refer to him as "IceForge" instead on multiple occasions. I've also noticed recently a certain user refer to another user by a different name in each post, such as "Mr. Hopkins" "Don Corleone" and "Adam Orth". It just seems like an incredibly immature way to insult someone without blatantly insulting them.
It's a bit petty if they did that intentionally, but honestly not something so heinous that we need to police it. If they want to act like little kids, let them. It only puts a spotlight on their credibility with what they say about a topic.

Policing it would only remove the evidence for others to see what kind of a person that is.

Kanatatsu

Nov 26, 2010
In my opinion, over-modding has ruined what were once vibrant forums. That that for what you will.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Zeconte said:
For instance, I've noticed a number of users who are rather hostile towards IceForce (whom I quoted above) refer to him as "IceForge" instead on multiple occasions.
During my first few replies to IceForce i misread his name and thought it was IceForge. i think these users you refer to may just be making same mistake and not intending to insult him.

In return, i get called Strazdaz or Stardas quite often as people misread my name or w/e happens in their minds. For example last time Charcharo quoted me he refered to me as Strazdaz even though im sure he knows my proper name given that we interact with him constantly. I really dont take that as any form of insult though.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
DoPo said:
DoPo said:
MarsAtlas said:
What is the ettiquette when it comes to spoilers?
I'm also interested in this.

I've also have another question:

Off-Topic discussions. Interestingly, one appeared right in this thread[footnote]which reminded me to ask[/footnote] and the policy on these has never really been clear, yet most other forums I've been on, off-topic tends to be where the "minor issue offences" are if not just a tad lower - comments at least tangentially connected to the topic are certainly allowed and even one, two, or several would be tolerated but excessive offtopic posting is punished.
Still interested in these.
Anybody?

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
If you feel the information will reveal something that others may not want revealed (the plot to a movie or game, for example) then use a spoiler.

Try and be respectful for others. If your thread is discussing a topic that would reveal major spoilers, then just add the word "Spoiler" or some variation in the topic so those who read it will understand.

I never actually thought this required elaboration.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
n0e said:
I never actually thought this required elaboration.
I am aware of what the general internet etiquette goes, but the question was in terms of an official site policy. The problem is that it never was nor is it still covered by the rules and the enforcement of spoilers on this site has always neither here nor there in terms of an official stance. There have been various points in time where a thread about a recent game/movie that doesn't mention spoilers in the title nor in the OP gets posted, yet only few posts in somebody would blurt out spoiler worthy information. This typically would have few other users call them out and ask for a spoiler tag but very rarely is there anything mod action done. The most common case for a mod action is if a thread has outright spoilers in its titles and posters have already complained yet the OP hasn't edited it (due to refusal or simply not being around).

Coming from GameFAQs that's really different - the spoiler rules there have been in place for over a decade and have been religiously upheld. Well, slightly looser in recent years, however, the rules are still there - and they are simple - either put a note in the title saying "SPOILERS" in which case you're free to post unmarked ones, or if posting in a thread that doesn't explicitly mention it would contain spoilers, you have to use the forum markup. Heck, back in the day when literally the only markup available was bold and italics, the rules for posting spoilers required you to clearly write a line that says "SPOILERS below" then leave plenty of vertical whitespace, write your piece, then leave more vertical whitespace and write another line that said "end of spoilers", thus having a makeshift markup, even though the technical side wasn't there to make it easier for the users. And people rolled with it.

There are spoiler tags readily available nowadays and yet on this forum the only semi-official required usage for them is to hide large images or other content - it's never really been requested users to apply them to actual spoilers. Not in a formal manner, at least.

However, my second question regarding off-topic (not the subforum) posting still stands: anything official?

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
I always figured it was simple, Don't Be Jerk.

Then again the only point I disagreed with is still there on the new version, not that this makes a difference this is the first time I've logged in months.

(I realise saying that could make me sound like a jerk but I mostly watch ZP and the ex-escapists on youtube these days.)

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
n0e said:
Example; Jews, when it comes to debates and discussions are considered a race of people when, in fact, it's a religious preference.
I am, frankly, astonished that this thread hit nine pages without anybody correcting you about this.

Jews are both a religious group and a race of people.

There exists a genetically distinct population of individuals who share common inherited traits and characteristics that are characterized as ethnically being Jewish. There even exist several distinct sub-populations, like the Ashkenazi, the Sephardic, and the Lemba. But you can be ethnically Jewish and not follow the Jewish religion. Of course, you can also be a follower of the Jewish religion without being ethnically Jewish as well. There is a pretty big overlap between people who are ethnically Jewish and people who are religiously Jewish, but the two populations are absolutely not identical. People who malign "the Jews" tend, more often than not, to be maligning the racial group rather than the religious one.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I was curious on the ban jumping rule:
Does having a secondary account qualify for breaking this rule?
And would posting with the other account while one user name is warned but not in the yellow qualify for breaking this rule?
Mainly ask because I have an old account, forgot I had it when making this account but since it's join date is back in 2008 I thought it'd be a shame to delete it.
Just wanted to err on the side of caution.
The account is St0ckp4rts btw:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/St0ckP4rts

Nemmerle

Mar 11, 2016
Shouldn't do, you're not using it to jump a ban, which is the main thing.

It's unlikely that anyone will bother to check for inactive secondary accounts unless your behaviour is notable in some other way, but I've added a note to your account about it.