New Crash Bandicoot game, It's About Time.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I really don't get the appeal of Crash. I always thought the games were bad. I mean I can understand Sonic even though I don't really like any of the classic games, but everything about Crash is just ugh.

Reactions: Glitter

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I really don't get the appeal of Crash. I always thought the games were bad. I mean I can understand Sonic even though I don't really like any of the classic games, but everything about Crash is just ugh.
Crash 2 & 3 are good games. 1 has aged the worst of the original ps1 trilogy. It's everything afterwards that has varying degrees of quality. Crash was basically Sony's (at the time) answer to Mario, Sonic, and Donkey Kong Country of all things. Gems, and evil mad scientists aside, The first three Crash games were basically PlayStation 1 DKC. It's more so noticable with the first two games. It takes the idea of a 2d platformer and puts it in 3d, except you can't control the camera. You have a world map in the first game, you have animal riding section (Crash's are automatic though), a one hit point character (Crash can collect three Aku Aku's for brief invincibility), amd gimmicky vehicle sections. Now sure, better 3D paltformers came along like Sly, Ratchet & Clank, and Jak & Daxter, but a modern Crash can work. As long as the next Crash game, makes the right decisions by taking ideas from what came afterward, but putting its own spin and take out what does not work (anymore).

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Crash 2 & 3 are good games. 1 has aged the worst of the original ps1 trilogy. It's everything afterwards that has varying degrees of quality. Crash was basically Sony's (at the time) answer to Mario, Sonic, and Donkey Kong Country of all things. Gems, and evil mad scientists aside, The first three Crash games were basically PlayStation 1 DKC. It's more so noticable with the first two games. It takes the idea of a 2d platformer and puts it in 3d, except you can't control the camera. You have a world map in the first game, you have animal riding section (Crash's are automatic though), a one hit point character (Crash can collect three Aku Aku's for brief invincibility), amd gimmicky vehicle sections. Now sure, better 3D paltformers came along like Sly, Ratchet & Clank, and Jak & Daxter, but a modern Crash can work. As long as the next Crash game, makes the right decisions by taking ideas from what came afterward, but putting its own spin and take out what does not work (anymore).
Yeah, I know what the games are and how Crash was pretty much Sony's attempt at a mascot character. I still remember those damn ads that Sony used to play. I only played the first game, didn't like it, felt no need to play the other games. I just really didn't like the gameplay of it at all and it looked like the other games had the same kinda gameplay.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, I know what the games are and how Crash was pretty much Sony's attempt at a mascot character. I still remember those damn ads that Sony used to play. I only played the first game, didn't like it, felt no need to play the other games. I just really didn't like the gameplay of it at all and it looked like the other games had the same kinda gameplay.
I highly recommend you play 2 & 3. They are vastly better. Smoother control options, Crash is nowhere close to stiff compared to the first game, and there a better levels and music. Going for 100% completion is a pain the ass though to get the true ending for each game. I did 100% runs for 2 & 3 back in the PS1 days, but I do not have the time for it anymore. The Crash Collection has some neat bonuses as being able to play as CoCo in 1 & 2. Time Trials are avaialbe for all games in the collection.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
It's About Time? Well, someone's a fan of StarCraft II.

Snark aside, I'm mixed. On one hand, I haven't played Crash since the third game, so seeing a Crash 4 is...quaint, I guess. On the other hand, it makes me wonder how all the other Crash games are going to be treated, if this is the one that gets the big magic 4 (is this an interquel? Are they still in canon? Or is this like Sonic the Hedgehog 4?) I already have to deal with people claiming that there was never a good Sonic game released after Sonic & Knuckles, if the Crash fandom has to deal with that, then, well, they have my sympathies.

Meh. Ooga Booga I guess.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's About Time? Well, someone's a fan of StarCraft II.

Snark aside, I'm mixed. On one hand, I haven't played Crash since the third game, so seeing a Crash 4 is...quaint, I guess. On the other hand, it makes me wonder how all the other Crash games are going to be treated, if this is the one that gets the big magic 4 (is this an interquel? Are they still in canon? Or is this like Sonic the Hedgehog 4?) I already have to deal with people claiming that there was never a good Sonic game released after Sonic & Knuckles, if the Crash fandom has to deal with that, then, well, they have my sympathies.

Meh. Ooga Booga I guess.
Good point. I always assumed Wrath of Cortex was Crash 4, and everything afterwards is anyone's guess. Crash has gone through so many developers and interpretations in such a short amount of time. I'm assuming Crash 4 is retconning everything that came after 3. It's the most logical and best course of action, if they are doing that.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Good point. I always assumed Wrath of Cortex was Crash 4, and everything afterwards is anyone's guess. Crash has gone through so many developers and interpretations in such a short amount of time. I'm assuming Crash 4 is retconning everything that came after 3. It's the most logical and best course of action, if they are doing that.
Is it though? I mean, Crash doesn't have an in-depth story or canon (not that I can tell anyway), so it's not like the plot was the issue. And at the very least, Crunch Bandicoot was added after Naughty Dog left, and he seems to be reasonably popular.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is it though? I mean, Crash doesn't have an in-depth story or canon (not that I can tell anyway), so it's not like the plot was the issue. And at the very least, Crunch Bandicoot was added after Naughty Dog left, and he seems to be reasonably popular.
Crunch is fine, but Wrath of Cortex was a worse version of Warped. Most fans seemed to like Twinsanity. Crash of the Titans is love it or hate it territory, being a platformer/brawler hybrid, and Mind Over Mutant is where things got super weird even by Crash standards. The last game before the remake trilogy has a lot more hate than love, there are some fans. You have an out of place DBZ refrence and in MOM there is constant art shifting where it was clear, they were just throw ideas out at random.

I stopped caring for Crash and lost interest after Wrath. The trilogy remake I loved and it was clear that people are still interested in Crash.

Last edited:

Glitter

Jun 12, 2020
Hopefully they let you play as Tawna and add her back to the story. I can see Toys for Bob doing a good job with the game, I liked what they did with Spyro; but I can understand people wanting Vicarious Visions to work on the game instead.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As an aside, the Japenese version of Wrath of Cortex actually was named Crash 4:

So what the hell they're gonna call this Crash 4 when it lands to Japanese shores? It won't be called 4 Part-2. They will proably get rid of the 4 and keep the subtitle.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

And I freaking called it. This game retcons everything after Crash 3.

Here is some more info for those interested. I have it set to start at the 27 minute mark.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Sniff...hello childhood, I missed you.

And I freaking called it. This game retcons everything after Crash 3.
How though? It takes place after Crash 3, I didn't see anything indicating that it retcons stuff after that. There's nothing stopping this game from being Crash 4, then Wrath of Cortex coming afterwards, and so on.

Also, random thoughts:

1) So what about Spyro?

2) Is it weird that everyone's hating Last of Us 2, yet loving Crash 4? Wonder how Naughty Dog feels about their old IP.

3) Crash is taking a selfie, but selfies weren't a thing in the 90s. Guess the timelines have collapsed worse than we thought. 0_0