New D&D speaker setup help needed

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
In my old apartment I was able to have a dedicated room for my D&D setup. The table, a 5.1 surround speaker setup (for background music during the gameplay session), room for all our extra stuff, the works. Unfortunately I had to move, and now my table will be in the living room. After arranging things to confirm where the table will go, I now have to work out the speakers will go... or if I should consider alternative ideas for what I should use. I'd ideally like to avoid having a single speaker across from my DM screen, but that might be the best I can do given the space and the circumstances.

Here is where the table (minus the TV in the middle) will be set up, with my chair on the left. The Christmas tree is obviously temporary given the holiday season.
SCR-20231225-kopk.jpg

I know it's not a perfect view of the space, but it's what I had on hand on my phone while at my parent's place for the holidays. I can always add or update later, but I wanted to get this post out while I had the time to do so. The little wood corner on the left of the image is my desk, on the right are 2 shelves to display my older gen game consoles, out of camera view along the bottom right corner is a console shelf with my TV, and behind the camera is flat wall.

If anyone had some good suggestions about speaker placement, alternative speaker options, or something else entirely... I'd super appreciate hearing it!

[Edit]
Since making this post, we've decided to move the gaming setup to a friend's place, as my new apartment really doesn't really work for it, at least not easily. This is not only due to the speaker setup, but due to having to move all the furniture in the living room and pack up/set up the table every week. Thankfully said friend had a spare room at his parent's place we got permission to use. It's worked out well for us, so far!

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Question, what is the speaker for? I don't quite get how it relates to DnD. Wall mounted speakers might work in a tight space if they're small

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Question, what is the speaker for? I don't quite get how it relates to DnD. Wall mounted speakers might work in a tight space if they're small
Music. I use background music in my D&D sessions with a Logitech Z607 audio system. I'll update the main post to mention that.
Wall mounting is a potential option, though I'd like to not make too many holes on the walls if I can help it... but I'll see if that'd work

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Ok, I mean if it's your living room soundsystem I 'd just chuck them in along with your console/TV set up. Not sure how big they are but if they're large make a stack, if small maybe a speaker shelf rather than wall mounting the speaker specifically. Perhaps some speaker stands?

Having looked up your speakers, yeah I 'd just chuck the subwoofer by the TV/console and put the rest on wall/shelf mounts round the room.

Last edited:

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Ok, I mean if it's your living room soundsystem I 'd just chuck them in along with your console/TV set up. Not sure how big they are but if they're large make a stack, if small maybe a speaker shelf rather than wall mounting the speaker specifically. Perhaps some speaker stands?

Having looked up your speakers, yeah I 'd just chuck the subwoofer by the TV/console and put the rest on wall/shelf mounts round the room.
They're separate from my sound system for my TV and game consoles, these were purchased for the sole purpose of giving surround audio for my D&D players (I go a bit hardcore on this sort of thing). I considered just using said speakers instead, but the positioning would mean that 2 players would get the majority of the audio blasting behind them.
And yeah, they're not very big at all

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
They're separate from my sound system for my TV and game consoles, these were purchased for the sole purpose of giving surround audio for my D&D players (I go a bit hardcore on this sort of thing). I considered just using said speakers instead, but the positioning would mean that 2 players would get the majority of the audio blasting behind them.
And yeah, they're not very big at all
Off topic a bit: do people come to game, or do you do it remotely? Haven't played myself since the Air Force in 1985 but curious if there are remote ways to do this.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Off topic a bit: do people come to game, or do you do it remotely? Haven't played myself since the Air Force in 1985 but curious if there are remote ways to do this.
We do it in person. There are, however, plenty of ways to do it online (like Roll20 or Tabeltop Simulator, among other various options). I attempted online D&D, but there was way too many variables that messed with the flow in a way that messed up the experience for everyone.
I'd actually forgotten about this thread. I'll post an update to the situation in the original comment

Last edited: