New Doctor confirmed for Doctor Who

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

The new Doctor is going to be portrayed by Ncuti Gatwa, who is apparently mostly known for the Netflix show Sex Education. I haven't watched it, so I can't say anything about his acting abilities, but I have seen gifs from the show, and he certainly has the style to play The Doctor.

1652027269202.png

And in case you are wondering, his name is pronounced Shoo-ti Gatwa.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
...well I certainly know a few companions who'd want a sex education, amirite?

Well, he's wearing a Colin Baker -esque outfit, there that.
Don't remind me!

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

The new Doctor is going to be portrayed by Ncuti Gatwa, who is apparently mostly known for the Netflix show Sex Education. I haven't watched it, so I can't say anything about his acting abilities, but I have seen gifs from the show, and he certainly has the style to play The Doctor.

View attachment 6123

And in case you are wondering, his name is pronounced Shoo-ti Gatwa.
Thanks for that, I had no idea how to pronoune it
Well, he's wearing a Colin Baker -esque outfit, there that.
We've already done the cranky Doctor in NuWhu. I dont think they'll do that for a while

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Anyone know much about him? What kind of characters is he known for?
He's most known for the show Sex Education, which he's won a BAFTA for. I haven't watched the show myself, but from what I hear, he is one of the highlights of said show.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I tried to get in to Dr. Who, but did not work for me. I see the appeal though. I am happy for this man, and may he succeed.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I should try watching Dr. Who one day.
Dr. Who is really....wierd. On one hand you get these sometimes interesting sci-fi plots and season long story arcs and the character interaction can be really fun sometimes, but on the others, it's often super cheesy and the definintion of "Sci" in Sci-fi can be stretched so much it's no longer even there. There's a particular episode in one of the later seasons about astronauts going to the moon in a space shuttle because it's a giant alien egg and.....well, it's really, really dumb, even for this show.

Also the issue that nothing is ever really gone forever. The Daleks(the resident trash can murder bots) get "wiped out" every 20 minutes or so but...oops, one of them escaped somehow and repopulated their entire race and now they're even more deadly than before because Time Travel or some shit. It gets really old after a while and the drama stops working when you know it's never "the last" or "the end" or whatever. A sacrifice doesn't mean anything when you know they're just gonna retcon it a season later. Oh, and the fact this show retcons anything and everything whenever the writer feels like it.

Actually, on 2nd thought, don't bother if any of that stuff bothers you. I just realized why I quit watching years ago.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Dr. Who is really....wierd. On one hand you get these sometimes interesting sci-fi plots and season long story arcs and the character interaction can be really fun sometimes, but on the others, it's often super cheesy and the definintion of "Sci" in Sci-fi can be stretched so much it's no longer even there. There's a particular episode in one of the later seasons about astronauts going to the moon in a space shuttle because it's a giant alien egg and.....well, it's really, really dumb, even for this show.

Even Doctor Who fans will tell you that episode, "Kill the Moon", is...not good. I'd recommend giving Doctor Who a try, personally. If you have HBO Max, pretty much the entire modern era run is up there. I really need to get back to it, myself. Got a few episodes into Capaldi's last season, then got distracted and by the time I returned, decided to start over.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Even Doctor Who fans will tell you that episode, "Kill the Moon", is...not good. I'd recommend giving Doctor Who a try, personally. If you have HBO Max, pretty much the entire modern era run is up there. I really need to get back to it, myself. Got a few episodes into Capaldi's last season, then got distracted and by the time I returned, decided to start over.
I know. That and the "Trees stop solar flare" episode just really got on my nerves for some reason.

No, that's not how trees work. That's not how solar flares work. That's not how any of this works.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I should try watching Dr. Who one day.
What? You haven't seen Doctor Who? How? Why? Where have you been all these years?

(But in seriousness, start from season 1 of NuWho and work your way from there. OldWho's an acquired taste, and NuWho has, IMO, got worse over time, peaking at around season 4, and going off the rails at season 11.)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I know. That and the "Trees stop solar flare" episode just really got on my nerves for some reason.

No, that's not how trees work. That's not how solar flares work. That's not how any of this works.
With any luck, the writers will turn over a new leaf and branch out. Because if they don't get to the root of the problem, they'll continue missing the forest for the trees, and take the road not taken.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
With any luck, the writers will turn over a new leaf and branch out. Because if they don't get to the root of the problem, they'll continue missing the forest for the trees, and take the road not taken.
And you just put significantly more effort into that post that it seems the writers put into that ep.

Yeah, anybody who wants to come at him for that outfit can choke on this atrocity:

I never had a problem with that coat. He's British, an alien, in the 80s. Stupid outfit is almost mandatory.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I shall wait to hear if The Timeless Child has been retconned out of existence forever. Until then I'm literally done with new Doctor Who.

Also Doctor Who has poked fun at itself over the year for it's changes and retcons even making the retcons plot elements as such.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Also Doctor Who has poked fun at itself over the year for it's changes and retcons even making the retcons plot elements as such.

Eh, easy enough to say that temporal grace applies to some weapons, but not all. In The Invasion of Time that seemed to be literally the case anyway.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble