New DUNE Trailer

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Looks good. I have only seen the first adaption of Dune once or twice, and don't remember much. I do have the movie in a compilation pack though. I'm probably not going to see it, but I'm happy for you.

Reactions: happyninja42

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Haven’t even seen the original, or at least not enough to know what the hell is going on. I’ll have to though before seeing this at least, because my initial question is how the hell anyone survives on a planet of sand and rock.

Or is it a Mad Max kinda thing, where those logistical details don’t really enter the equation.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Haven’t even seen the original, or at least not enough to know what the hell is going on. I’ll have to though before seeing this at least, because my initial question is how the hell anyone survives on a planet of sand and rock.

Or is it a Mad Max kinda thing, where those logistical details don’t really enter the equation.
Been awhile since I read it, part of it is important to the story (the book goes to some length to explain how they get water and conserving water is why they all have the silly nose thing) I don't remember too much about food, but the planet is more like a mining planet part of a large space empire so they probably just import it.

My only reticence about the movie/story is that Paul is a massive Gary Stu which overshadow the more interesting part of the story, hopefully the movie de emphasize that part.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
My only reticence about the movie/story is that Paul is a massive Gary Stu which overshadow the more interesting part of the story, hopefully the movie de emphasize that part.
Frank Herbert found the concept of a true superman abhorrent, and his Dune books are basically one long treatise on why society putting its faith in a messianic hero is a really terrible idea. I know Dune sets Paul up as a Stu, and a lot of characters treat him as one in-universe, but he's not. Like, really not. Tho just how much he isn't doesn't really become fully clear until the third book.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

You don't need to watch the first film, or the tv miniseries from SCIFI channel back in the day. I mean you can, I personally think they are both good films/mini-series, but they're telling the same story, just different adaptations. If you just go in watching this one, it should cover everything of importance.

As to how they survive, well, I mean while Frank does go into some pretty good detail about SOME aspects of the ecology, the planetary ecologist being a significant character to the story actually, a lot of it is just hand waved away. They maintain their water supplies, by harvest the fluids from bodies. Their own people, and various prey animals they encounter. As well as any enemies they encounter (The Harkonnen being the primary enemy of them as of the time the book/movie takes place). Their burial process is basically a form of cremation, that desiccates the corpse, to extract all body fluids, distills and purifies it, into pure water. That is then stored, and kept for the sietch (a Fremen community). Their currency is based on a water economy, wealth is based on how much water you own. There IS an ecosystem, with a cycle to it, but, it's not the focus of the story, so he doesn't go into EVERY detail of it. He mostly just says "Hey so, real world deserts are actually fairly alive with various creatures, that live off each other, and survive just fine. Well, this is a whole planet like that." It's implied there are apex predators (whooo boy are their epex preadtors), and then herd/prey animals on the other end. It's left to the reader to just fill in the blanks, as Frank's more focused on the socio-political story he's been setting up, about resource management and other stuff.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Just gonna throw this out there - I didn't like the book. I think if people were honest with themselves they'd admit the ideas are what makes dune great, the writing itself has all kinds of issues. I really lost interest in the last 3rd of the book. It's the ideas about this vast convoluted space empire and it's dependence on this one tiny planet and all the little details about society that people actually love. The book itself is a slog and everyone in it sucks.

As a kid I loved the film, I don't know that's it's good. It's just one of those sci-fi films that was cool.

I'm really excited for this one, but I have weirdest feeling that it might be bad. I'm glad it's coming to HBO max. It's the kind of film I'm not sure being glued to a theater seat for is going to be a good time.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I am honest with myself, and I like the writing. This is frankly a really smug, and arrogant thing to say to anyone.
I don't think that counts as smug and arrogant. That would be more like me concluding that Dune is trashy lowbrow sci-fi for children.

You can say you're incensed by me not liking something you like, but to call me arrogant for questioning the fandom is a little strong.

I'm mere stating my opinion that all the things I see people profess to enjoy about Dune have more to do with the world building than the quality of script and storytelling in the book which I thought had a lot issues.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't think that counts as smug and arrogant. That would be more like me concluding that Dune is trashy lowbrow sci-fi for children.

You can say you're incensed by me not liking something you like, but to call me arrogant for questioning the fandom is a little strong.

I'm mere stating my opinion that all the things I see people profess to enjoy about Dune have more to do with the world building than the quality of script and storytelling in the book which I thought had a lot issues.
You said anyone that doesn't see things your way, is lying to themselves. That's a really arrogant stance to take. You didn't "question the fanbase" you declared they are all lying to themselves for thinking the writing is good.

And I never said I was incensed by anything you said. But what you said IS arrogant. Your previous statement of "I didn't like the book" That's fine. Dislike it all you want, I don't care. But don't post statements about the people who enjoy something, and then try and backout saying you didn't post a statement that was critical of the people who enjoy it.

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
You said anyone that doesn't see things your way, is lying to themselves. That's a really arrogant stance to take. You didn't "question the fanbase" you declared they are all lying to themselves for thinking the writing is good.

And I never said I was incensed by anything you said. But what you said IS arrogant. Your previous statement of "I didn't like the book" That's fine. Dislike it all you want, I don't care. But don't post statements about the people who enjoy something, and then try and backout saying you didn't post a statement that was critical of the people who enjoy it.
I said "I think", I didn't declare anything. Clearly this quite upsetting to you and "I think" it's uncalled for. I'm not backing out of anything or criticizing anyone simply for enjoying Dune. I also don't think there's anything wrong with analyzing the components of a particular fandom. I stand by my previous statement.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Discussing the movie itself, anyone else feels it seems...generic?

Big blaring sound, 'epic' declarations, Jason Marmoa being...well, Jason Marmoa? Anyone?

On the other hand, Lynch's Dune nearly put me to sleep, so there's that I guess.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Dune is one of those cornerstone series that a lot of other Sci-fi stories "homage" or just pull things from whole-sale. A lot of it will feel familiar because you've seen other works that were inspired by it.

It's kind of like saying The Lord of the Rings is generic. Yes...but actually no.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Dune is one of those cornerstone series that a lot of other Sci-fi stories "homage" or just pull things from whole-sale. A lot of it will feel familiar because you've seen other works that were inspired by it.

It's kind of like saying The Lord of the Rings is generic. Yes...but actually no.
Yeah, but I'm not sure if that's the best comparison. I know Dune is considered a cornerstone of sci-fi, but big action scenes weren't what Dune (or at least the novel) was about. Though if anything, the action in Dune can potentially separate it from its contemporaries, given the whole Weirding Way thing, and how due to shields, people rely on melee combat. But on the other hand, ask any Dune fan what they like about Dune, and Herbert's take on action probably isn't going to top the list.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yeah, but I'm not sure if that's the best comparison. I know Dune is considered a cornerstone of sci-fi, but big action scenes weren't what Dune (or at least the novel) was about. Though if anything, the action in Dune can potentially separate it from its contemporaries, given the whole Weirding Way thing, and how due to shields, people rely on melee combat. But on the other hand, ask any Dune fan what they like about Dune, and Herbert's take on action probably isn't going to top the list.
It's a movie trailer. It's much easier to show action in a 3 minute trailer than conversations on philosophy.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I think if people were honest with themselves they'd admit the ideas are what makes dune great, the writing itself has all kinds of issues. I really lost interest in the last 3rd of the book. It's the ideas about this vast convoluted space empire and it's dependence on this one tiny planet and all the little details about society that people actually love. The book itself is a slog and everyone in it sucks.
Fuck me that’s a bold move, Cotton.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Eh? Dune is one of those really hard to do stories. I mean look at the absolute mess of stories the books were. Imagine taking that word-vomit of a story and making a coherent movie that isn't just someone reading for a script the whole time? Dune is one of those high-concept high sci-fi stories that just doesn't hold together as a setting, story or narrative.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Eh? Dune is one of those really hard to do stories. I mean look at the absolute mess of stories the books were. Imagine taking that word-vomit of a story and making a coherent movie that isn't just someone reading for a script the whole time? Dune is one of those high-concept high sci-fi stories that just doesn't hold together as a setting, story or narrative.
The first Dune book isn't all that complicated, it's basically just a hero's journey type story. After that it gets tricky, but I don't think anyone is trying to adapt the whole series.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Big blaring sound, 'epic' declarations, Jason Marmoa being...well, Jason Marmoa? Anyone?
This.

With the caveat that maybe the trailer people were told to do that and they aren't representing the movie well.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
i don't know about generic, but it does seem rather sedate. hopefully that's a side effect of the trailer being all over the place introducing various characters and concepts without clear focus.