New Fighter from Guilty Gear Creators Coming to Consoles

Michael Grimm

Feb 23, 2009
New Fighter from Guilty Gear Creators Coming to Consoles

A recent Famitsu article has revealed that System Arc Works' latest fighter, BlazBlue, will be making its way to Japanese consoles sometime this summer.

BlazBlu is set to be released on both PS3 and Xbox 360, and according to the General Director Toshimichi Mori, the game will arrive with a bounty of extra content. The biggest addition is that of an enormous 30 hour long story mode with branching paths and fully voiced dialogue. Given the labyrinthine, ret-conned hellscape that most fighting game stories usually are, these 30 hours could be HEAVEN OR HELL.

BlazBlu's story mode will also feature anime cut scenes from Studio GONZO, probably best known for their work on Anime such as Gantz, Desert Punk and Full Metal Panic! Looking at SFIV's eyesore cut scenes, we can confidently say that BlazBlu has already won in this area. And we haven't even seen BlazBlu's cutscenes yet.

The game is currently scheduled to have worldwide online play, a very good sign that the game might see a release outside of Japan. Although the abysmal sales of System Arc Works' last release in the U.S., Battle Fantasia, might cause them to think twice about bringing a new franchise into a market caught in the death grip of Street Fighter IV.

BlazBlu's gameplay seems combo-centric in nature with an emphasis on attacking and juggling downed players. Also notable is the game's HD graphics and its more straightforward visual style. Characters are very clean lined and well rendered, but seem fairly generic when compared to Guilty Gear's off the rails loonies.

System Arc Works is best known for its Guilty Gear franchise, a 2-D fighter featuring a brightly colored cast of bizarre characters and highly refined, complex, gameplay.

Source: IGN [http://ps3.ign.com/articles/959/959132p1.html]

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
This better come state side I really don't want to have to look at a move sheet and eye ball menus because I cannot read Japanese. I will say that the game could use a few more characters though.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
2009. The year of the fighting game. (SF4, Tekken 6, KOF XII, Blazblue, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, possibly VF5R)

shadow skill said:
This better come state side I really don't want to have to look at a move sheet and eye ball menus because I cannot read Japanese.
My Japanese import copy of GG Accent Core had its menus in English, just that the win quotes and story mode were in moontounge.

Not sure whether I'm getting this, though. While I like fighting games, the whole long combo barrage isn't really my thing (which is incidentally why I'm not really looking forward to Tekken 6 either).

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Yahoo!
I loved the Guilty Gear series. Its been by far my favorite fighting series.
I dont care if they dont release in america, Im getting it, thats what the internet is for

EDIT: from the trailers, Ragna the Bloodedge looks like a redesign of Sol Badguy

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
RavingPenguin said:
EDIT: from the trailers, Ragna the Bloodedge looks like a redesign of Sol Badguy
Ragna = Sol
Jin = Ky
Iron Tager = Potemkin
Shishigami = Chipp

And possibly loads more to that effect. It's basically the sequel to Guilty Gear Arc System Works isn't allowed to do (some legal hassles with their publisher, apparently).

porkfryrice616

Feb 11, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Is guilty Gear that series that is the zenith of that ideal of male characters looking like girls?
Final Fantasy is the zenith of the ideal male character looking like girls. But guilty gear is the zenith of transvestite male characters.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Well, it's not like all the guys in that game are girly looking, it's just that one specific fucked up case. But the whole cast is just LSD galore: the most normal of the bunch is a ladies man who throws cards at you.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
Damn, I remember Guilty Gear. I was still in primary school, but I knew I was playing a good game.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Woe Is You said:
Well, it's not like all the guys in that game are girly looking, it's just that one specific fucked up case. But the whole cast is just LSD galore: the most normal of the bunch is a ladies man who throws cards at you.
Doesn't Johnny throw coins? and I'd say him and Axl could compete for the most normal ones

And yeah, bridget is weird. No one is gonna disagree with that

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Never played Guilty Gear, though I'm told it's a good fighter with loads of spirit.
Can't wait to see if this game comes to the states... If so I'll grab a copy.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Woe Is You said:
As sanzo pointed out, he throws coins (and each coin hit increases his main Special attack's duration and number of strikes), but his instant kill throws a playing card at you. If it connects (and it's easy to block), you get turned into a giant stylised playing-card and then he slices you in two.

His love-interest/girlfriend/jailbait-non-committal is a half-Japanese girl in an orange pirate outfit who fights with an anchor and is capable of summoning dolphins and whales to attack you.

They recruit a half-human, mostly bioweapon monstrosity fanservice girl thing, to become a member of their airship pirate crew, while everyone else is either trying to stop the pirates, stop the bioweapons (Gears), or fucking about with time travel and Assassin Politics.

I LOVE GUILTY GEAR!

Also, BlazBlu (god that's a terrible name) looks pretty much like a shallow copy of GGX2 with Gonzo styling. Hopefully the combat is just as good, and the story independent and with its own redeeming qualities.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
porkfryrice616 said:
You haven't seen Brigit have you?
That was the name I was looking for. Its that sort of hing that really pushes Guilty Gear, for me, outside the realms of "real game". Axel Rose fightning with a functionally depurposed Kusarigama? What?
"Humans have theorized the revolutionary equation which gives free energy for all. It was adequately dubbed as magic."

At least, that's their excuse. Pretty much everyone who isn't Chinese or Japanese uses their crazy future world's functional magic, and the oriental characters use "ki", which is considered an errant and erratic subdivision of magic with a longer history.

(Also, it's "Bridget". C'mon, people, it's not that uncommon a name...)