New Final Fantasy XV Video Shows Off Nearly an Hour of Gameplay, Including Chocobo Racing

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New Final Fantasy XV Video Shows Off Nearly an Hour of Gameplay, Including Chocobo Racing

If you can't wait to see Final Fantasy XV, there's a new video that shows off over 50 minutes of gameplay.

Final Fantasy XV may have delayed for two months [], but that isn't stopping Square from showing the game off. At Gamescom today, the company released the new footage, showing off 53 minutes of gameplay from the upcoming RPG.

The footage is from the Master Version of the game, and includes Chocobo racing, new monsters, side quests and equipment, the ability and magic synthesis systems, and the Wait Mode. Here's the video:

With the recent delay, Final Fantasy XV is scheduled to release on PS4 and Xbox One November 29.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Feel like this is the definition of a mixed blessing. It helps soothe the pain of an extra 2 months wait on top of the original goddamn decade (I mean hell, it's only worse that Noctis' dad has apparently aged in real time) because the game looks like they've improved just about everything that was screwy with the duscae demo and added a whole heap of awesome shit.

Mixed because they clearly had a functional game but want to try and polish it more. Which is good but... I mean... it's been a decade guys, I could really do with just playing it at this point, polish be damned...

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
I must admit, this made me legitimately wary. I realize that this is the 'master version' without the fixes and content of the day one patch that eventually lead to the delay in the first place, but what's on display here feels like a very minor improvement over what was seen in Episode Duscae (and the ending fight of Platinum Demo.)

The combat still focuses far too much on long, drawn out animations and adhering to a rhythm that the game seems to change rapidly. Mix in the constant lack of real feedback from your party aside from audio cues and the occasional link attack and you've got a game that feels like... Helping a man who is already quite strong push a car when you're half awake. Player input seems like the least important part of FFXV thus far, not to mention the lack of content on display when it comes to meatier sidequests.

This is looking to be the Japanese answer to No Man's Sky at the moment. Hyperbole or no, the similarities are somewhat jarring. Long wait between announcement and release, with FFXV being the clear winner/loser in that department. Hyped since the day it was announced, bounced around before being put under management that some people liked, and others didn't. Basically redone from the ground up after a major shift. Shipping without features fans had come to hope for and even expect at first (controlling party members, being able to explore Noctis' home town freely, etc. etc.)

I doubt it'll flop. I don't know if NMS flopped, I guess it's still too early to say. But FFXV has pedigree behind it, and the actual gameplay on display is still somewhat engaging despite its insistence on being as hard to read as possible. If the map is as big and empty as most other open world games, we've got a runner-up for 'most contentious game of the year' on our hands after NMS itself.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
DemomanHusband said:
I must admit, this made me legitimately wary. I realize that this is the 'master version' without the fixes and content of the day one patch that eventually lead to the delay in the first place, but what's on display here feels like a very minor improvement over what was seen in Episode Duscae (and the ending fight of Platinum Demo.)

The combat still focuses far too much on long, drawn out animations and adhering to a rhythm that the game seems to change rapidly. Mix in the constant lack of real feedback from your party aside from audio cues and the occasional link attack and you've got a game that feels like... Helping a man who is already quite strong push a car when you're half awake. Player input seems like the least important part of FFXV thus far, not to mention the lack of content on display when it comes to meatier sidequests.
See, I find this curious because I had a different take away. While I agree that the combat looks a lot like the Platinum demo there were quite a few bits that looked distinct. Most obviously the Wait mode which let the whole game go tactical with singling out enemies.

Beyond that we had Chocobos, fishing, cooking, bounties, item scavenging, I'm not entirely sure what you want from thr sidequests but aren't they pretty meaty?

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I really want to watch this but i want my experience of the game to be as fresh as possible when i actually come to play it. It's a horrible temptation...sometimes i really hate Squeenix

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
CaptainMarvelous said:
See, I find this curious because I had a different take away. While I agree that the combat looks a lot like the Platinum demo there were quite a few bits that looked distinct. Most obviously the Wait mode which let the whole game go tactical with singling out enemies.

Beyond that we had Chocobos, fishing, cooking, bounties, item scavenging, I'm not entirely sure what you want from thr sidequests but aren't they pretty meaty?
Well, when I think sidequests, I think actual little bits of side story that you use as a vehicle for gameplay, not just throwaway minigames. I want stuff that involves the inhabitants of the game world with their own problems running into the player and crew, explaining their issues, and providing something other than a fetch quest to fix it, y'know?

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
DemomanHusband said:
CaptainMarvelous said:

Well, when I think sidequests, I think actual little bits of side story that you use as a vehicle for gameplay, not just throwaway minigames. I want stuff that involves the inhabitants of the game world with their own problems running into the player and crew, explaining their issues, and providing something other than a fetch quest to fix it, y'know?
Ahhh, I get what you mean. Well, just going off the video, it looks like chocobos at least might have relevance and development potential beyond being a throwaway mechanic but not much else.

But then it also depends what, from that, was sidequest. I thought the stuff with Cor and Noct might be sidequest and the 'date' with Iris might be.

Only ones that I can say for sure was the bounties and fetch quest though so your concern is well justified.