New First Person Action Parkour Game: Ghostrunner.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Cynerpunk Ninja Parkour?
Looks neat, I'm probably going to give it a chance, though I'd like it if they made one of these Parkour games without combat, I remember it completely interrupted the flow of the level in the original Mirror's Edge, though I'll admit I didn't play the other one.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Cynerpunk Ninja Parkour?
Looks neat, I'm probably going to give it a chance, though I'd like it if they made one of these Parkour games without combat, I remember it completely interrupted the flow of the level in the original Mirror's Edge, though I'll admit I didn't play the other one.
Well you didn't have to do the combat in Mirror's Edge. The devs made a point to stress that your best advantage was your speed and mobility. There were plenty of maps where you could just jump over and around the baddies, and not even need to do a melee takedown if you didn't want to.

Though I do hope this game allows for a no-kill run, especially since it said speed and mobility are your greatest strengths. I mean if they require some combat...eh...fine. But I'd much prefer that the objectives are always Get from A to Z however you want, and don't die. But we'll see when it comes out.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Well you didn't have to do the combat in Mirror's Edge. The devs made a point to stress that your best advantage was your speed and mobility. There were plenty of maps where you could just jump over and around the baddies, and not even need to do a melee takedown if you didn't want to.

Though I do hope this game allows for a no-kill run, especially since it said speed and mobility are your greatest strengths. I mean if they require some combat...eh...fine. But I'd much prefer that the objectives are always Get from A to Z however you want, and don't die. But we'll see when it comes out.
Well I haven't played it in a while but I remember it having a few sections where they locked you off in what was basically a combat arena until you took out the bad guys, so I was referring more to that than the ones that were in the parkour segments, as those did a great job of adding tension to the levels, I could be misremembering things, Mirror's edge is what 12 years old?
I originally played it on PS3 when it was new, so even if I do own the PC version I only ever completed that original version all those years ago.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Looks neat, might put that on the watchlist. Also, so many games with cyberpunk aesthetic getting made/released. 80's neon is the new gunmetal brown.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Looks neat, might put that on the watchlist. Also, so many games with cyberpunk aesthetic getting made/released. 80's neon is the new gunmetal brown.
I've been noticing that since the release of Far Cry Blood Dragon and Double Dragon Neon. The same applies with OverWatch and Fortnite with their bright colors. Honestly, I do not mind as I hated the gunmetal grey or dogshit brown color palette that permeated the majority of 7th gen. I'll take something good looking over something that shitty looking and ages worse every single year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chimpzy

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I've been noticing that since the release of Far Cry Blood Dragon and Double Dragon Neon. The same applies with OverWatch in Fortnite with its bright colors. Honestly, I do not mind as I hated the gunmetal grey or dogshit brown color palette that permeated the majority of 7th gen. I'll take something good looking over something that shitty looking and ages worse every single year.
I'll take "large amounts of color" as the new "brown" over actual brown any day.
I don't disagree. The funny thing is that if you look at the trailer for this game, most of the environments are fairly washed out dark greys and blues, but it's not that noticeable because all that oversaturated colored light provides a strong graphic contrast. That's the difference between actual visual design, and just slapping on a drab color palette in some ill-advised pursuit of "gritty realism" and calling it a day, like so many 7th gen games.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Seems fun enough. I'll play anything that will make me feel like a Pilot in Titanfall 2 or Whatshername in Mirror's Edge.

Although I have to say, it doesn't look like there's much to do. Not the kind of game I pick up on full price.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't disagree. The funny thing is that if you look at the trailer for this game, most of the environments are fairly washed out dark greys and blues, but it's not that noticeable because all that oversaturated colored light provides a strong graphic contrast. That's the difference between actual visual design, and just slapping on a drab color palette in some ill-advised pursuit of "gritty realism" and calling it a day, like so many 7th gen games.
I'm not sure, based on the context of your post, if you are saying Ghostrunner falls into the "actual visual design" or the "drab palette of an ill-advised pursuit" ?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I tried the demo when steam was having the summer demo event thing. It was pretty cool, if you die you can just quickly get back into things and the action is super fast paced.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
There's this to play while you wait for it to come out.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'm not sure, based on the context of your post, if you are saying Ghostrunner falls into the "actual visual design" or the "drab palette of an ill-advised pursuit" ?
The former. Cyberpunk usually means dystopian urban environments, which tend towards grays and other drab colors, which in turn can quickly become boring to look at. Unless you do something to break up that monotony. Like high contrast color. It's a basic concept of visual design, but it works. Even games with otherwise washed out and earthy color palettes like The Last of Us or Red Dead Redemption do this, usually in the form of greenery.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The former. Cyberpunk usually means dystopian urban environments, which tend towards grays and other drab colors, which in turn can quickly become boring to look at. Unless you do something to break up that monotony. Like high contrast color. It's a basic concept of visual design, but it works.
Right that's been my understanding of cyberpunk for decades. Bright colors splashed across derelict and cold structures. It seemed totally "on brand" to me, hence why I was confused a bit when you described it. xD My brain was like "well yeah, that's cyberpunk, eye bleeding bright colors, smeared over shadowy columns of buildings" :D

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
As a separate issue, is this the same game that we saw glimpses of before in a recent trailer? I don't recall the details of it, but I seem to recall it had the word Ghost in the title, and was based in futuristic Tokyo? I recall shots of I think a subway terminal, and people...I think just standing still? Was that this game? Or just a game with similar name?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
As a separate issue, is this the same game that we saw glimpses of before in a recent trailer? I don't recall the details of it, but I seem to recall it had the word Ghost in the title, and was based in futuristic Tokyo? I recall shots of I think a subway terminal, and people...I think just standing still? Was that this game? Or just a game with similar name?
No, that's Ghostwire: Tokyo.

Reactions: happyninja42