New Game Helps Children With Anger Management

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
New Game Helps Children With Anger Management

Players will need to keep their heart rates in check if they want to succeed.

If you've been playing games for any reasonable length of time, there's a good chance that you've directed anger at a character or situation on the screen. This in and of itself isn't exactly odd, and I myself have been known to toss a controller across the room in a fit of despair. But now researchers are using video games to help control anger in teens and preteens by letting their heart rates control the on-screen action.

The game - called Rage Control - is a simple space shooter that requires the participant to wear a heart rate monitor attached to their finger, kind of like the now-infamous Wii Vitality Sensor. When the player's heart rate is within a normal range, the ship can be controlled easily, but when the heart rate goes up due to anger, the ship cannot fire at enemies.

This mechanic might sound like it would cause even more anger, but the study showed that it actually helped the players control their rage. After just five sessions with the game, the players showed noticeable improvements over anger management patients who had not been given the treatment.

The researchers are now moving on to create toys for younger children who are too young to benefit from the game, to see if the same principles can be applied.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20080417]

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
If you start laughing as you play, can this also raise your heart rate? If so, I can imagine the whole thing snowballing until the game is rendered temporary unplayable due to stomach cramping and guffawing fits.

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
Finally, there are too many angry people on this world.

Captcha: I love lamp
I love lamp too, captcha.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It'll be fun to see if this works.

But for Heaven's sakes, imagine if they attached this to, say, Street Fighter.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
And what if you're actually having fun and your heart rises because of excitement (the positive kind you know)?

The application I see is rather limited. It could help people with anger problems, but should only be used that way.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
Integrate this into the CoD and LoL game mechanics as a new core part of it.

Just imagine it for a moment.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Clearly this is a necessary concept to making a game based off the movie Equilibrium -- be as emotionless as a Cleric or fail to be able to hit anything.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I just hope Achievement Hunter does an episode of Rage Quit with this game. It would be interesting to see the results.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Nihlus2 said:

Alternative idea: Integrate this device with Xbox Live headsets. If you start getting too flustered, auto-mute. Might make online gaming a bit more civil

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Good for them, teaching kids that its not even ok to get mad at something you do by yourself where you can hurt no one, better bottle up ALL the rage.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Zombie_Moogle said:
Nihlus2 said:

Alternative idea: Integrate this device with Xbox Live headsets. If you start getting too flustered, auto-mute. Might make online gaming a bit more civil
Ye gods man! That's just plain brilliant!

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Jhooud said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Nihlus2 said:

Ye gods man! That's just plain brilliant!
thank you :)

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I personally think this can be a good idea if implemented properly, but my opinion is probably biased by the fact that my brother seriously needs it.

I might even start playing competitive multiplayer again if this becomes a requirement in all competitive multiplayer.

Irridium said:
I need to get this for my brother.
Me too dude. I get seriously worried when I can hear him screaming at his game from across the hall.

LordNerevar

Feb 24, 2012
This isn't exactly new.... I used to go to therapy where they used these devices and hooked them up to different games when i was in elementary school, so about 10-12 years ago. hardly new :)

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
So instead of hot headed murderers we're training cool emotionless sociopaths!? ;p (kidding kidding)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I think it'd be funny if the game flashes a big red "RAGE QUIT!" on the screen before turning itself off if you get too pissed off. :3