New Game Plus Mode Confirmed for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
New Game Plus Mode Confirmed for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

New Game+ has been confirmed for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided due to "popular demand."

Eidos Montreal confirmed a New Game+ mode for upcoming title Deus Ex: Mankind Divided via Twitter today [https://twitter.com/DeusEx/status/632279289363329025]. In a new DXTV video, Executive Game Director Jean-Francois Dugas and Gameplay Director Patrick Fortier briefly discussed the addition of New Game+, of which specific details are limited.

"I know you guys have been asking for it since the beginning of Human Revolution, and for a lot of reasons we couldn't do it," Jean-Francois said. "This time we have good news."

"We're taking the time to develop it. It's really all about having players have fun with it," Fortier added. The hope for them is that New Game+ will help players discover "even more about all the maps and secrets" in the game.

In the video, the duo also said that they are still working on the experience system, asserting that they are not favoring one style of gameplay over another in an effort to avoid making anyone feel as though there is a "right" way to play.

In July, Fortier revealed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141797-Deus-Ex-Mankind-Divided-Boss-Fights-Have-Multiple-Approaches] that bosses in Mankind Divided could be beaten by either combat, stealth or wit, as they want to support "all the different play aspects."

"That was the main thing that was missing from the boss fights. Thematically, I think they were interesting, but certain players found a challenge there that wasn't really catered to them," Fortier said. "There are ways to stealth them, there are ways to beat them in combat and there are conversations you can have that maybe give you a different means of dealing with the situation altogether."

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is expected to release in early 2016.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I'm super happy this feature made it in; it was one of my favourites in the Director's Cut since aside from allowing different play throughs with solid back ups, there was nothing more fun than griefing the NPCs with the Icarus system.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I quite enjoyed the experience system in the first game and felt it gave a lot of freedom to play how you wanted to, as did the game (except the boss fights, but that's a horse that's been beaten and was sent to the glue factory a while ago) so I'm interested in what sort of improvements they have in mind.

Maybe this time around they'll let you reset your praxis points if you want to try a different playstyle out halfway through. And for a lot of people the new game plus would help a lot with the replay value.

Either way I'm glad they're paying a lot of attention to all this stuff.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
The Enquirer said:
I quite enjoyed the experience system in the first game and felt it gave a lot of freedom to play how you wanted to, as did the game (except the boss fights, but that's a horse that's been beaten and was sent to the glue factory a while ago) so I'm interested in what sort of improvements they have in mind.

Maybe this time around they'll let you reset your praxis points if you want to try a different playstyle out halfway through. And for a lot of people the new game plus would help a lot with the replay value.

Either way I'm glad they're paying a lot of attention to all this stuff.
Not sure about you but by midway, I had enough praxis to waste it on things I wasn't going to use. By the end, I had points left over.

You only need Praxis for hacking really. If you're going combat only can do without spending any. Hell, "stealth" is more of a waiting game than anything.

DXHR was too easy. NG+? Considering the game is outright broken in with you being JC god OP superhuman human slayer, it's going to be a major bore second play though.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
mad825 said:
Not sure about you but by midway, I had enough praxis to waste it on things I wasn't going to use. By the end, I had points left over.

You only need Praxis for hacking really. If you're going combat only can do without spending any. Hell, "stealth" is more of a waiting game than anything.

DXHR was too easy. NG+? Considering the game is outright broken in with you being JC god OP superhuman human slayer, it's going to be a major bore second play though.
I pretty much used everything I got, just for laughs even. Though some were really not needed, like the target tracking thing, I don't know about you, but I found that to be more inhibitive than helpful for stealth strangely enough.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Lizzy Finnegan said:
In the video, the duo also said that they are still working on the experience system, asserting that they are not favoring one style of gameplay over another in an effort to avoid making anyone feel as though there is a "right" way to play.

In July, Fortier revealed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141797-Deus-Ex-Mankind-Divided-Boss-Fights-Have-Multiple-Approaches] that bosses in Mankind Divided could be beaten by either combat, stealth or wit, as they want to support "all the different play aspects."

"That was the main thing that was missing from the boss fights. Thematically, I think they were interesting, but certain players found a challenge there that wasn't really catered to them," Fortier said. "There are ways to stealth them, there are ways to beat them in combat and there are conversations you can have that maybe give you a different means of dealing with the situation altogether.
I'm glad to hear this.
In HR it was obvious at every turn that the developers had some insane obsession with stealth.
Bonus objectives required stealth, achievements required stealth, you got more experience for stealth, and if you dared to put your top-of-the-line super-cyborg body outside of cover for half a second you could be killed by an overweight old man with a 10MM on normal difficulty.
Dear developers: Stealth is about avoiding fun. Avoiding fun is not fun. Please stop sacrificing other aspects of gameplay to stealth.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
mad825 said:
You only need Praxis for hacking really. If you're going combat only can do without spending any.

DXHR was too easy.
The Typhoon system. Two bursts from that and a headshot from the upgraded revolver kills all the bosses.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
008Zulu said:
mad825 said:
You only need Praxis for hacking really. If you're going combat only can do without spending any.

DXHR was too easy.
The Typhoon system. Two bursts from that and a headshot from the upgraded revolver kills all the bosses.
I never once used the typhoon, I was just a huge fan of the revolver, shotgun, and heavy rifle. Inventory space maxed and no recoil, I was a walking bullethose.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Souplex said:
Lizzy Finnegan said:

"That was the main thing that was missing from the boss fights. Thematically, I think they were interesting, but certain players found a challenge there that wasn't really catered to them," Fortier said. "There are ways to stealth them, there are ways to beat them in combat and there are conversations you can have that maybe give you a different means of dealing with the situation altogether.
I'm glad to hear this.
In HR it was obvious at every turn that the developers had some insane obsession with stealth.
Bonus objectives required stealth, achievements required stealth, you got more experience for stealth, and if you dared to put your top-of-the-line super-cyborg body outside of cover for half a second you could be killed by an overweight old man with a 10MM on normal difficulty.
Dear developers: Stealth is about avoiding fun. Avoiding fun is not fun. Please stop sacrificing other aspects of gameplay to stealth.
Well... I wouldn't say stealth is about avoiding fun, it can be even more fun than simple combat on it's own. For instance, in the Batman Arkham games stealth is incredibly fun not to mention hilarious because you get to hear your enemies going from confident to being so freaked out that they are shooting at shadows, and the multiple ways to take out your enemies all of which were sadistically enjoyable. I think that was the main issue with stealth in Human Revolution, there wasn't a lot of ways to stealth lethally/nonlethally deal with your enemies and the enemies didn't react much.

However, I agree that the game seemed incredibly lopsided towards stealth play in general, especially nonlethal stealth takedowns, as the player gets more rewarded for doing that than any other way. That's the thing that makes me excited about this article, as experience points and thus Praxis points should have been doled out pretty much equally for players of any playstyle in the end but they very obviously weren't.

Speaking of Praxis points, those were also way too plentiful and I'm hoping that they make sure that the amount given is much lower this time, something that ensures that a player can't simply be great at everything by the end.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I know this is a little off topic, but I bet any achievements/in game unlocks will be disabled on NG+. Now, on topic, I really never thought about a NG+ mode. (Insert obligatory "I never asked for this" joke.) I'm more interested to hear that all play styles are viable on boss fights and that the xp system got an overhaul. Now if they just do proper endings in this one instead of just pushing one of four buttons I'll be a happy augmented badass.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
I never once used the typhoon
Once I learned that the boss fights were combat mandatory, I looked for the fastest way I could get past them. Which is to say, I don't mind combat, but a game built on choice forcing you to play outside your selected style for that run through, annoys the crap out of me.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
008Zulu said:
Xan Krieger said:
I never once used the typhoon
Once I learned that the boss fights were combat mandatory, I looked for the fastest way I could get past them. Which is to say, I don't mind combat, but a game built on choice forcing you to play outside your selected style for that run through, annoys the crap out of me.
I just carried a maxed out pistol with 200 and a maxed out rifle with 300 bullets with me. Considering I barely used them anyway, that was the only place I was using them and it was more than enough. After the Missing Link, I also added the golden Revolver with about 50 bullets to it (because it's near the end of the game, there are no more shops from here on and the next boss does require a bit of a punch, so why not?)

Note that I played the Director's Cut, so my Gold Revolver was actually fully upgraded by nature - except magazine - and Missing Link was mandatory to do.
And the DC also had New Game Plus, so this whole thing doesn't strike me as big news, really.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Gordon_4 said:
I'm super happy this feature made it in; it was one of my favourites in the Director's Cut since aside from allowing different play throughs with solid back ups, there was nothing more fun than griefing the NPCs with the Icarus system.
I didn't even know the Directors Cut brought NG+ °_°
I wanted to play that since the first time I've completed the game(3 times now). All this fucking hacking just to get extra XP... even though you already have the password. -.-

ekrolo2

Oct 15, 2013
hazydawn said:
Gordon_4 said:
I didn't even know the Directors Cut brought NG+ °_°
I wanted to play that since the first time I've completed the game(3 times now). All this fucking hacking just to get extra XP... even though you already have the password. -.-
The directors cut has reworked boss fights as well, letting you beat them with a mix of hacking & stealth as well as the standard run and gun option. Barrett's boss fight in particular is a whole lot of fun to figure out now on the first go.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
thats great news indeed. was really surprised and upset at the same time when i wanted to start again and saw that i had to upgrade everything from scratch again. the directors cut was certainly nice to have it but damn, this version has issues like constant loss of sound and other weird issues that i coulndt complete it.
so this feature is more then very welcome.

moosemaimer

Apr 14, 2011
mad825 said:
When I did NG+ and had energy to burn, I would run around with the xray vision on and was surprised just how many walls there are you can punch through to create new doors. It opens up a lot of new routes through the world.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
When you say "wit," do you literally mean defeating them with clever words? Because at first I thought that was a ridiculous idea solely for the porpoises of humour, but then I remembered this is Deus Ex; wit and charm is sound logic in these games and I oft use them whenever I can.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
immortalfrieza said:
...experience points and thus Praxis points should have been doled out pretty much equally for players of any playstyle in the end but they very obviously weren't.

Speaking of Praxis points, those were also way too plentiful and I'm hoping that they make sure that the amount given is much lower this time, something that ensures that a player can't simply be great at everything by the end.
To me, these complaints are a bit contradictory. You can be great at everything by the end - regardless of your playstyle. And while you "very obviously" get more XP for stealth punching, that XP is minimal. It takes 125 perfect knockouts to earn a single extra Praxis over just shooting them in the body.