New game releases - Week of November 4, 2017

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
New game releases - Week of November 4, 2017

Lots of video games are being released this week but what is likely the biggest release this week is another half console as the Xbox One X comes out (named because their first choice, xXx42OXb0xOne42OxXx was already taken on Xbox Live). The Playstation 4 Pro has done relatively well and the pre-orders for the Xbox One X were very solid so we may be seeing a shift in the console market. Whether that turns into a blessing or a curse for the console crowd is to be seen...

[HEADING=3]November 7th[/HEADING]
Hand of Fate 2 (PS4, PC, Xbox One)
Need for Speed Payback (PS4, PC, Xbox One)
Horizon: Zero Dawn - The Frozen Wilds (PS4)
Sonic Forces: Episode Shadow (PS4, PC, Xbox One, Switch)
America's Greatest Game Shows: Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy! (PS4, Xbox One)
ATV Drift & Tricks (PS4)
The Elder Scrolls Online: Clockwork City (PS4, PC, Xbox One)
Hitman: Game of the Year Edition (PS4, PC, Xbox One)
League of War: VR Arena (PS4)
Sonic Forces (PS4, PC, Xbox One, Switch)
Super Lucky's Tale (PC, Xbox One)
Assault Android Cactus (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
Farming Simulator: Nintendo Switch Edition (Switch)
Heroes of the Monkey Tavern (PS4, PC, Switch)
Xbox One X System

[HEADING=3]November 8th[/HEADING]
911 Operator (PC, Xbox One)

[HEADING=3]November 9th[/HEADING]
Ace of Seafood (PS4)
Syberia 3: An Automaton with a Plan (PS4, PC, Xbox One)
Tallowmere (PC, Switch, Wii U)
Koi DX (PS4, Switch, Vita, Wii U)
Octodad: Dadliest Catch (PS4, PC, Xbox One, Switch, Vita, Wii U)
Maria The Witch (PC, Xbox One, Switch)
Super Putty Squad (Switch)

[HEADING=3]November 10th[/HEADING]
Cat Quest (PS4, PC, Switch)
Wuppo (PS4, PC, Xbox One)
Snipperclips Plus: Cut It Out, Together! (Switch)
DOOM (Switch)
Mario Party: The Top 100 (3DS)
Football Manager 2018 (PC)

So lots of games coming out as well as a shiny new half console. Any of these have you excited? Does the existence of these "half generation" consoles have you worried or intrigued? Anyone see a big mistake I made in writing this but by the time I noticed, it was too late and I'm not going to re-do the entire thing over it? Discuss!

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
...What even is a half-generation console??

Anyway, thanks again for the list Tippy!

I was VERY interested in Outcast Second Contact.
Then it turned out that it would feature a skewed over-the-the-shoulder cam.
If it comes out on GOG I might, perhaps, possibly entertain the notion of purchasing it despite that.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Vendor-Lazarus said:

If it comes out on GOG I might, perhaps, possibly entertain the notion of purchasing it despite that.
It's what I've been calling the Playstation Pro and Xbox One X. I don't know if I heard that from somewhere or if I made it up and am now trying to make it stick but basically they're the "upgraded" versions of the consoles that are not required (and according to Sony/Microsoft, will never be a required upgrade) but are more powerful. Sort of like an iPhone except a console rather than a phone.

As a console gamer, I'm mildly super concerned about it. The entire reason I play on console is to not need to do upgrades every few years and to not have to worry if what I'm buying will work on what I have; both will become issues if this half generation thing really sticks and Sony/Microsoft go back on what they said about making it a requirement.

For now I'm hoping that it is not the case because I have no intention of buying another Xbox One to replace the Xbox One I currently have (although I may get the Playstation Pro but that is because I do not yet have a Playstation 4; if I had one already, I would not upgrade). We shall see though...

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Poetic Nova said:
I'm suprised EA stil bothers with Need for Speed, to be honest.
I used to play Hot Pursuit all the damn time!

Then EA decided that removing the funnest part (split screen where one of you is the robber and one is the cop) was a good idea so I never bothered with the games again. I don't know if that has been re-added at this point but it killed my interest and now it's not really something I'd care about.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:

It's what I've been calling the Playstation Pro and Xbox One X. I don't know if I heard that from somewhere or if I made it up and am now trying to make it stick but basically they're the "upgraded" versions of the consoles that are not required (and according to Sony/Microsoft, will never be a required upgrade) but are more powerful. Sort of like an iPhone except a console rather than a phone.

As a console gamer, I'm mildly super concerned about it. The entire reason I play on console is to not need to do upgrades every few years and to not have to worry if what I'm buying will work on what I have; both will become issues if this half generation thing really sticks and Sony/Microsoft go back on what they said about making it a requirement.

For now I'm hoping that it is not the case because I have no intention of buying another Xbox One to replace the Xbox One I currently have (although I may get the Playstation Pro but that is because I do not yet have a Playstation 4; if I had one already, I would not upgrade). We shall see though...
Ah, so the naming is only half-official then (until we make it stick!). ,)

I can see why a console gamer would be concerned. You expect 5-7 years of simply buying a game and have it work out of the box.
Though I'd have to say that the introduction of a dedicated online interface for consoles started that particular trend.
Games didn't have to work out of the box and generated more money from players, etc.
A simple usb port for updates would have sufficed I think.
Now you need to worry about having the right physical upgrade to your box as well as your console software and game updates.
Not to mention backwards compatibility.

In some ways, PC Gamers have it both easier and harder.
Now that we've gone off on a tangent to this topic, maybe you should consider starting a thread about it so as not to derail this one?
I'm thinking you are not the only one which would have reservations about such a change.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Hand of Fate 2:
YAY!

Horizon: Zero Dawn - The Frozen Wilds:
Reminds me...I STILL need to beat this game.

Hitman: Game of the Year Edition:
I thought this was already out? Huh. Nope. Just the 'complete' edition. WTF?

The Elder Scrolls Online: Clockwork City:
I still need to buy the Morrowind expansion, but...IDK. Iffy on this.

Xbox One X System:
I don't know any version of the Xbone, so...maybe? I doubt I'll buy this, but I hope it drives the Xbone Slim down in price for Black Friday.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I preordered the Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition which wont be coming out until same time next month.
It'll be the only thing I look forward to until the end of this year.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
tippy2k2 said:
(named because their first choice, xXx42OXb0xOne42OxXx was already taken on Xbox Live).
Y'know, I could believe that some twerp actually has that username...

tippy2k2 said:
Sonic Forces (PS4, PC, Xbox One, Switch)
Please be good, please be good...

Sees Polygon review...

...fuck!

tippy2k2 said:
Does the existence of these "half generation" consoles have you worried or intrigued?
Neither, to be honest. I think Sony and Microsoft are smart enough to understand that it would be a bad idea to split their playerbases in half if certain games became only compatible with the newer hardware. And if that time does come, it'll probably be far enough in the future that price is less of an issue.

Admittedly, I'm very tepid about this console generation. Played some Xbox One games, haven't even used my PS4, and while a lot of that is down to less time being available...yeah.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Ah, so the naming is only half-official then (until we make it stick!). ,)

I can see why a console gamer would be concerned. You expect 5-7 years of simply buying a game and have it work out of the box.
Though I'd have to say that the introduction of a dedicated online interface for consoles started that particular trend.
Games didn't have to work out of the box and generated more money from players, etc.
A simple usb port for updates would have sufficed I think.
Now you need to worry about having the right physical upgrade to your box as well as your console software and game updates.
Not to mention backwards compatibility.

In some ways, PC Gamers have it both easier and harder.
Now that we've gone off on a tangent to this topic, maybe you should consider starting a thread about it so as not to derail this one?
I'm thinking you are not the only one which would have reservations about such a change.
Spread the word! The time of the half generation is upon us!!!

Anyway, I put it in the news article thingy so that people can talk about it. Plus I need the clicks or they're going to fire me for not bringing in the eyeballs!!!!!

(Not really...or are they?!?!??!...no, they won't....OR WILL THEY?!?!?!!?!)

Hawki said:
Please be good, please be good...

Sees Polygon review...

...fuck!

tippy2k2 said:
Does the existence of these "half generation" consoles have you worried or intrigued?
Neither, to be honest. I think Sony and Microsoft are smart enough to understand that it would be a bad idea to split their playerbases in half if certain games became only compatible with the newer hardware. And if that time does come, it'll probably be far enough in the future that price is less of an issue.

Admittedly, I'm very tepid about this console generation. Played some Xbox One games, haven't even used my PS4, and while a lot of that is down to less time being available...yeah.
Sorry about your Sonic :(

I do hope you're right on the half generation though. I'd LIKE to think that they would be smart enough to not split their base like that but it's hard to have faith in companies not doing everything they can to squeeze all of the money out of their user base and if they decide this is how they can have all of the money... :(

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Completely skipped every NFS between 2003-2009, haven't bothered with a new one since Rivals. Could NOT care less about NFS: Payback.

But at least DooM 2016 is hitting the Switch. Not like I'd ever actually get it for the Switch, but at least that's something good in a mountain of shit.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I saw a game that is listed here that is coming out to every platform OTHER than PS4. I assumed it was probably already out on PS4 and that these were ports.

After Googling "Maria the Witch" I learned that it may or may not have been released several years ago, and that it probably is NOT based on "Maria the Virgin Witch" which might be a hentai that IS available on PSN.

I'm looking forward to Horizon DLC, but I'm still elbow deep in Etrian Odyssey 5.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Wheel of Fortune where do I preorder!?..... and on to actual seriousness

I'll probably get the Horizon thing eventually, unless I hear terrible things about it. I'm always a bit tepid with such things because it becomes a question of "Why was this idea not good enough for the base game, or if you came up with it later, a whole game"

Hand of Fate 2 is a solid "Eh... maybe". The first one was solid conceptually, but there's definitely a ton of fine tuning before I'd buy into a sequel.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
Assault Android Cactus came out on PC a long time ago. Its so much fun. But if you're listing all the platforms the titles are available on for clarity, you missed that Tallowmere is also on mobile.

Unless you are talking about Tallowmere 2, then you forgot the 2.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Hand of Fate 2 got delayed on the Xbone.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/11/hand-of-fate-2-delayed-on-xbox-one/

https://xboxtavern.com/hand-fate-2-gets-last-minute-delay-xbox-one/

But it seems no one cares since it is an Xbone problem. It took a specific google search to find 3 links