Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
hanselthecaretaker said:
Kyrian007 said:
Worgen said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Worgen said:
I look forward to the gnashing of teeth about a previously action series becoming a slow paced third person shooter thing. Seriously, Kratos is the villain, why are not you playing someone else going to kill his genocidal ass?
He became a villain in God of War 2 onwards.

God of War 1 emphasized that while he did evil things, he clearly suffers and regrets his actions and wants redemption.
Exactly but even in gow1 he was still a monster who just randomly killed innocent people. Hes all pissed off about his dead wife and daughter, but there are at least hundreds of people who have the right to claim the same against him. There is no shortage of people/gods/misc who are totally justified in going after his head. If they wanted to even keep with the theme of the title, you could play a champion of Sekhmet who was an Egyptian god of war and go hunting for the bastard who broke the world.
I'm not really a fan of button mashers like GoW, but Kratos... he's a Spartan right. Soooo as someone who is just generally against eugenics and pedophilia, I'd have to say just being a Spartan is enough to make him a villain even before the events of the game.
I?m not very educated on the subject, nor would I have time to wax historical if I was, but am at least intrigued by it. History in general does a great job of demonstrating its capacity for propagating half truths and misrepresentations though, as appears to be quite ironically the case here [http://spartareconsidered.blogspot.com/2016/07/the-myth-of-spartan-pederasty.html?m=1].

One does have to wonder how or why the most disciplined, structured and forward-thinking city-state in ancient times - particularly with regards to women and equal representation - would be put in the history books as the most degenerate of them all. Perhaps they were considered an easy target by their most contemptuous of contemporaries , which suggests that times really haven?t changed much considering what we experience in our society even today. What?s even more ironic is guess who all the other Greek territories wanted on their side when their necks were on the line.
Eh, the "equal rights" of Spartan women did exist... but didn't extend past their class divide which only counted about a sixth of their population as full citizens with any kind of rights at all. So, yeah forward thinking, 1/6th of their women had something approaching "equal rights..." I'm not willing to give them a ton of credit for that. And one source (who sounds very laconophillic) vs. a majority of historians and the writings of Plutarch... I'm not willing to discount the eugenics and institutionalized pederasty. Plutarch's writings do mention those practices in references to other city states as well as Sparta. Likewise many historians say the eugenics was practiced in Athens as well as Sparta... but to me "that's just the way it was back then" isn't a particularly valid excuse.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Kyrian007 said:
I'm not really a fan of button mashers like GoW, but Kratos... he's a Spartan right. Soooo as someone who is just generally against eugenics and pedophilia, I'd have to say just being a Spartan is enough to make him a villain even before the events of the game.
Nearly all ancient societies were not very politically correct, to put it lightly. This is why whenever there's a movie or videogame that takes place before the 20th century, we're sorta expected to just shut off that part of our brain that knows these times were rife with woman beatings, pedophilia (in ancient Greece), and violent racism. Not that there isn't a lot of that going on currently, but atleast most of us can agree now that this isn't a good thing.

I think it'd be very difficult to have a protagonist in a setting like ancient Greece, have them be historically accurate, and NOT be a vile bastard be today's standards. Which poses the question whether we can actually make historically accurate movies that aren't completely unrelatable.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
I think it'd be very difficult to have a protagonist in a setting like ancient Greece, have them be historically accurate, and NOT be a vile bastard be today's standards. Which poses the question whether we can actually make historically accurate movies that aren't completely unrelatable.
I think you probably have a misinformed view on ancient Greece based solely on depictions in popular culture. In many ways ancient Greece was more inquisitive and intellectually progressive than the cultural stagnation and idea bankruptcy of the declining west. Zeno, Pythagoras, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle etc. pretty much provided the entire intellectual and cultural frame of the civilized world. How would such ideas take root and proliferate for centuries to come if not for a fertile breeding ground(ie ancient greece)? Sure, some cultural norms can be considered backwards by today's standards but similarly you don't judge the modern world based solely on the mass murder by atomic bombs and clinical drone warfare. Which, most likely, would have appalled the people of the ancient world.

So yeah, you could definitely have an 'historically accurate' character or movie but this doesn't provide the cheap sensationalism that draws the mainstream appeal.

But anyways, gameplay looks pretty good! Glad it's different than the button mashing of old and Kratos' testosterone seems to have mellowed out in his old age as well(which, hopefully, makes him less of a caricature). Game looks also exceptionally pretty.