New ideas for the fps market?!?

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
How about one based in WW2? I've never seen one before but I think it can be done if we get the right developer to do it.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
irishdelinquent said:
Breno said:
Dr.McRobo said:
umm........i think u misunderstood the meaning of the thread...
Actually, he answered the question perfectly. You were looking for an idea to improve the FPS genre, an idea that "no other game developers have done before"...have you seen a LEGO fps game out there?

As for myself, I would like to see an FPS game that isn't so focused on blood and violence, and is more focused on silliness. A game like Time Splitters: Future Perfect. These games have apparently lost "touch" with the "new generation", and I would love to see them brought back. While this is not a new idea, it is one I feel would help out the genre.

Oh, and use proper grammar please. Seeing the letter u used instead of the word you causes cancer.
Google: Blockland

It's been done.

Howlingwolf214

Dec 28, 2008
Ones that aren't set in World Wars or post-apocalyptic wastelands would be nice.

Something that sacrifices realism for fun would be great. Although the weather report doesn't predict snow in hell.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I would like to see more open world gameplay where the player can either decide to follow a plot, or simply go off on their own to have fun in their own way.

avouleance

Dec 22, 2008
rebounding ammo on weak guns

and instead of rebounding helath...

every head shot stealth kill or other special kill gets you back a littel health

Breno

Jul 4, 2008
tsb247 said:
I would like to see more open world gameplay where the player can either decide to follow a plot, or simply go off on their own to have fun in their own way.
no i find myself getting bored from that beside u can do that in any open world game just dont do the missons and falf about

Daniel Cygnus

Jan 19, 2009
tsb247 said:
I think it needs to be somewhere in between, like the original Doom. You were in a big map and you had to find the exit, but there was only a vaguely predetermined path for you to follow. If you want to go exploring before you find the red key, you can do it. If you want to find every secret and go on every sub-path (and there's a lot of them), you can do it. I think if they could pull that off with a modern-day game engine, I'd be in FPS heaven.

Also, I'd like to see truly gigantic bosses. I know Shadow of the Colossus did this, but it's not an FPS, now is it? And by gigantic, I mean bigger than a skyscraper. And no shoot-the-weak-point-to-kill-it style bosses either. This isn't Zelda, what's wrong with a health bar?

WeevilStew

Nov 29, 2007
Anything thats not just a go here, shoot them, move along, type gameplay.

Something with choices, something with substance, something, anything to make me want to play through it more than once.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
WAY off topic but...

WeevilStew that pic you have there from Warcraft 2. ever noticed how it could be a girl smiling, wearing a pearl necklace winking? the teeth are the necklace and the left tusk is her mouth. just cover up the right eye.

(sorry that came from out of nowhere but i hadn't seen that picture for years and it brought back memories)

Jul 9, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I'd give it a story.
While I agree that there needs to be more of the good stories, saying there's none that are good is ignoring games like HL2 and Bioshock.
pantsoffdanceoff said:
How about one based in WW2? I've never seen one before but I think it can be done if we get the right developer to do it.
Oh. My. God. Get this guy a medal, idea of the century over here!

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Remove the stupid health regeneration system and bring back the good ol' healthpacks!

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
Breno said:
everyone is going on about how some fps arent getting anything new to the genre but i ask u!! what would u do if u where making a fps game what new things would u bring to the genre

nevermind about the flashey graphics or realism of it! just something new to it..something no other game devolpers have done before

eg: fraction and its terrin defromation
Much, Much, better AI. Make enemies clever and unpredictable, teach them team-work and tactics. I wanna see them healing each other, flanking, taking creative cover and doing progressive advance under cover fire.

Every FPS has promised this, and not one has delivered in my book. AI is off course VERY difficult. But I believe an advance on this field will make the FPS experience something all new.

Jul 9, 2008
Cajt said:
Remove the stupid health regeneration system and bring back the good ol' healthpacks!
It's kind of a situational thing. Regenerative health works better for fast paced games like CoD, while I really can't see games like HL2 switching from Healthpacks.
asiepshtain said:
Breno said:
everyone is going on about how some fps arent getting anything new to the genre but i ask u!! what would u do if u where making a fps game what new things would u bring to the genre

nevermind about the flashey graphics or realism of it! just something new to it..something no other game devolpers have done before

eg: fraction and its terrin defromation
Much, Much, better AI. Make enemies clever and unpredictable, teach them team-work and tactics. I wanna see them healing each other, flanking, taking creative cover and doing progressive advance under cover fire.

Every FPS has promised this, and not one has delivered in my book. AI is off course VERY difficult. But I believe an advance on this field will make the FPS experience something all new.
The original F.E.A.R, old as it is, still has one of the best enemy AIs I've ever seen. Great FPS, by the way.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Chaffinch said:
Simalacrum said:
MMOTFPS (i challenge someone to work out what that means :p)
Massively Multi player Online Team First Person Shooter... just a hunch
Massively Multiplayer Online Tactical First Person Shooter, actually :p

Breno

Jul 4, 2008
Simalacrum said:
Chaffinch said:
Simalacrum said:
MMOTFPS (i challenge someone to work out what that means :p)
Massively Multi player Online Team First Person Shooter... just a hunch
Massively Multiplayer Online Tactical First Person Shooter, actually :p
i would have never got that....