New Kinect Armor Fires Mobile Interactive Projections

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
New Kinect Armor Fires Mobile Interactive Projections

Equipping Microsoft's new shoulder piece gives you +10 Geek and -4 Chic.

In a move reminiscent of Dead Rising 2's weapon crafting system, Microsoft's research and development team has hobbled together a Kinect, pico projector, and some sort of bandoleer to create a wearable multitouch projector. Essentially the (currently) unwieldy accoutrement would allow its user to project an interactive screen onto any surface they're facing. In theory, this could be your phone's number pad, a game, or your inbox. Come on, you know you want to play Angry Birds on your Aunt Mildred's face!

The device uses the Kinect in a really interesting way. Unlike most "hacks" we've seen, the peripheral isn't used for capturing input, only judging the surface area in front of you. Basically, that means that your projected touchscreen would have a maximum size that you might see on, say, a giant wall, but scalable dimensions for something more wieldy and private, like a tiny notebook (or your Aunt Mildred's forehead).

If the device proves it's worth in future development, obviously the components would be heavily miniaturized (though some miscreants may still prefer walking around with what looks like a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher, so who knows). This could lead to some much more fashionable iterations, such a pin you attach to the front of your shirt, a clip for a collar, or the very height of style itself, something built into a fancy bowtie.

I'm not sure how often I look at the front of my smart phone and think, "dang, if only this was on the side of a building and not in my hand!" but the tech is neat if for no other reason than a possible bridge to the next way we interact with our devices. It's not going to be tablets and voice-activated butlers forever, you know.

Source: Geek.com [http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/microsoft-creates-a-multitouch-projector-you-can-wear-2012037/]

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
The Kinect: Useful for everything except video games.

Also, I think I've seen something like this before, except not a kinect.

Tuqui

Mar 2, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
The Kinect: Useful for everything except video games.

Also, I think I've seen something like this before, except not a kinect.
I agree, I think there was a MS project, or a project bought by MS that did something similar with a base of a cellphone.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Despite looking ridiculous, this is quite a cool idea. Won't be too long now before we get those holographic displays =)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'm getting the mental image of a kitten with a shoulder mounted laser chasing the little red dot but never catching it.

Thomas Hirst

Feb 6, 2012
This is a small fraction of the shit Microsoft is working on. The only reason they haven't released most of it yet is cause batteries that can power smart projectors tend to be rather large.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Now I must admit I didn't even bat a eye at Kinect when it first came out due to the fact that I don't like standing in front of a screen wailing my limbs around. This actually has my attention because I have always wanted to wear some sort of suit or something, have a toy gun actually in my hand, and be able to play a FPS like that, where I can move 360 degrees and move around with my actual body. I think it would be quite fun. While this is still far away from that I think its defiantly a step in the right direction.