New Mario Kart Wii U Playable at E3

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
New Mario Kart Wii U Playable at E3

There's also a 3D Mario game in the works.

The Wii U was the first Nintendo console to launch with a Mario title since the Nintendo 64 in 1996, but it was a 2D platformer. Don't get me wrong, New Super Mario Bros. Wii U is excellent, but it didn't sport the 3D world the Mario series has been exhibiting since Mario 64. This morning, in an announcement from Nintendo President Iwata Satoru, we learned the team behind Mario Galaxy is working on just such a game for the Wii U. There's also a new Mario Kart in the works, and I'm happy to report both titles will be in a playable form at this year's E3 in June.

In other words: I can't wait for E3.

"Our EAD Tokyo team, which created the Mario Galaxy series for Wii and Super Mario 3D Land for Nintendo 3DS is working on a new 3D Mario action game for the Wii U," Iwata said in a Nintendo Direct video. "We are also working on Mario Kart for Wii U, a series which has seen one installment for each hardware system we've released."

Of course, Iwata is forgetting there was no Mario Kart on the original Famicom 8-bit system or the Gameboy, but that was before his time, I guess.

In any case, I'm excited for both of these games. I've played the crap out of Mario Kart games and I'll expect to do the same for the Wii U one when it comes out. No release date announced yet, but if they are playable at E3 I imagine we'll see them on store shelves for the holidays in 2013.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
You forgot the HD Zelda announce, and the Wind Waker remake that looks staggeringly beautiful. i honestly can't wait to see all these games at E3, though I can't help but feel bored with Mario Kart, the Wii version was too much of a clusterfuck with weapons and 7 is just slow and dull compared to the DS version.

Hopefully Mario Kart U comes with fresh ideas and more new tracks, since they've near exhausted the classic tracks they can use.

Sold on the Wii U now at any rate.

3D Mario, new HD Zelda, Wind Waker in HD glory, the great games already exclusive, yeah, I need one of those now. Now to hope for some more Donkey Kong love.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
If the new Mario Kart game is as good as Mario Kart 7 was for the 3DS, then I can't wait for it.

Also interested in seeing where they would take a new 3D Mario Game.
I can't wait to see a new 3D mario title, I hope it isn't Galaxy 3, and I hope it isn't a 64 throwback like I know some people want. I know it's gonna be something creative and astonishing to behold, just like the first galaxy was way back when!

Psyched for this year now, good job Nintendo!

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
You forgot to Mention "Yoshi's Epic Yarn"! I think that's the real winner in that whole Nintendo Direct. I dunno, to me, it just really fits Yoshi being yarn.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
There's a goddamn Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei crossover. That's the most WTFBBQ thing I've heard in MONTHS

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
That's a lot of Mario.
Mr.Mattress said:
You forgot to Mention "Yoshi's Epic Yarn"! I think that's the real winner in that whole Nintendo Direct. I dunno, to me, it just really fits Yoshi being yarn.
It feels sew right don't you think?
Ha ha, yes. It does feel sew good. Your joke felt right.

But I am excited for the WiiU 3D Mario game.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
DVS BSTrD said:
That's a lot of Mario.
Mr.Mattress said:
Ha ha, yes. It does feel sew good. Your joke felt right..
Man you guys are funny.
I've got a stitch from laughing so hard.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Aiddon said:
There's a goddamn Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei crossover. That's the most WTFBBQ thing I've heard in MONTHS
...What?
I don't like those series but dang, that still sounds pretty badass.

[sub]...Better than MK vs. DC.[/sub]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Shinsei-J said:
Mr.Mattress said:
DVS BSTrD said:
That's a lot of Mario.
Mr.Mattress said:
Man you guys are funny.
Guys, I had to hit the quote button[/i] just to say: let's not derail the thread here.

You're unravelling all of gregs hard work on this news story!

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
If it isn't Steam then it's fucking Nintendo. Please, stop scaring my wallet! It's hiding under my bed now thanks to this Nintendo Direct.
... I guess he doesn't know I know my Visa card number by heart so I can still order online...

Really, this is great. So many games I am looking forward to. I am glad I've got a Wii U.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Shinsei-J said:
Mr.Mattress said:
DVS BSTrD said:
That's a lot of Mario.
Mr.Mattress said:
Man you guys are funny.
Guys, I had to hit the quote button just to say: let's not derail the thread here.
It seams to me that Jeffers does knot like the wordplay. Maybe Jeffers is to Doll for it? I wouldn't know...

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Mr.Mattress said:
It seams to me that Jeffers does knot like the wordplay. Maybe Jeffers is to Doll for it? I wouldn't know...
SkarKrow said:
Seriously, we need to let the puns dye. They're completely undermining the fabric of this article. Let's tie it up and get back to Mario Kart.
Let's just pin it up for now, needless to say I'm struggling to think of anymore particularly good ones.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
SkarKrow said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Mr.Mattress said:
SkarKrow said:
Seriously, we need to let the puns dye. They're completely undermining the fabric of this article. Let's tie it up and get back to Mario Kart.
Let's just pin it up for now, needless to say I'm struggling to think of anymore particularly good ones.
I'm sure people's patience and attention span are hanging by a thread.
Someone had better start a new spin on things to get the ball rolling.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Lugbzurg said:
SkarKrow said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Mr.Mattress said:
SkarKrow said:
I'm sure people's patience and attention span are hanging by a thread.
Someone had better start a new spin on things to get the ball rolling.
This is all tugging at the frayed ends of my sanity...