New Mass Effect 3 Story DLC "Leviathan"

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
The Reapers do listen to his every command, but he doesn't directly control them. If the SC controlled them entirely it would be like the Rachnai, or the Collectors, there would only be ONE personality.

The Reapers have individualistic thoughts and different personalities, so they always had free will. Most of them probably didn't disobey because they believed in the holiness of the mission.

And yeah it would be like the Geth and Destruction option.

Also even IF Shepard doesn't control all The Reapers in a hive mind like way, the few rouge ones could easily be destroyed by the non rouge ones. They have been following orders for over 1 billion years with only 1 apparent dissenter, whatever The Reapers believe in they believe fanatically.

It's RO-GUE damnit, not ROU-GE

Rouge is a freaking color, i never understood why it's so confusing for some people...

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Mekado said:
It's RO-GUE damnit, not ROU-GE

Rouge is a freaking color, i never understood why it's so confusing for some people...
Because it's two letters that are switched around and 80% of people are likely not going to notice. And the 20% that do 99.9% of them will be able to figure it out in context. A lot of the time people mistype I know I do it all the time.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
-Before the ending The Reapers were never totally under the SC's control, they just listened to what he said.
I strongly suspect that you, my dear sir, are bullshitting like a pro.

Where is it said that the Reapers have free will and are only instructed by Glowing Space Kid?

Note that during the conversation with said Glowing Space Kid, he says, "The Reapers are mine. I control them." He also describes the control ending as him being replaced.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Zhukov said:

Where is it said that the Reapers have free will and are only instructed by Glowing Space Kid?

Note that during the conversation with said Glowing Space Kid, he says, "The Reapers are mine. I control them." He also describes the control ending as him being replaced.
Members within a hive-mind like collective do not posses individualistic though, or individualistic identities, case in point The Collectors, and The Rachnai, and to an extent The Geth, sans Leigon.

If the Star Child truly possessed 100% complete control over The Reapers, Sovereign, Harbinger, Leviathan, and the other Reapers would not have names, or different personalities. They would all refer to themselves as the same being, the reaper on Rannoch wouldn't have used Harbinger's name.

That The Reapers have names show individuality, in their names, their thoughts, and their actions, which means they cannot be controlled entirely by the star child.

He does possess massive power over them, but they are not fully under his control.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
Zhukov said:

Members within a hive-mind like collective do not posses individualistic though, or individualistic identities, case in point The Collectors, and The Rachnai, and to an extent The Geth, sans Leigon.

If the Star Child truly possessed 100% complete control over The Reapers, Sovereign, Harbinger, Leviathan, and the other Reapers would not have names, or different personalities. They would all refer to themselves as the same being, the reaper on Rannoch wouldn't have used Harbinger's name.

That The Reapers have names show individuality, in their names, their thoughts, and their actions, which means they cannot be controlled entirely by the star child.

He does possess massive power over them, but they are not fully under his control.
Who said anything about hive mind collectives? I said under control. Doesn't have to be the same thing.

Where are you getting this information? "He does possess massive power over them, but they are not fully under his control." Based on what? How do you know this? How can you argue with, "The Reapers are mine. I control them"?

See above, re: bullshitting.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
More Mass Effect is good for me though I hope it links in to the multiplayer as I am genuinely surprised how much I've gotten into it and like a junkie I crave more.

This whole Reaper gone rogue does sounds interesting but at the same time I fear it might just kick up more problems with the ending.

I have been personally hoping to see some more races through dlc (who could then be added to multi) as I assume that many species will have used previously unexplored relays in an attempt to escape the reapers.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
The Human Torch said:
SajuukKhar said:
The Human Torch said:
Yeah, but if one Reaper is out there with free will, that means that there is no complete control. And if one Reaper can do it, why not others? This new DLC has a lot of explaining to do.
-The DLC takes place before the ending.
-Before the ending The Reapers were never totally under the SC's control, they just listened to what he said.
-At the ending Shepard does a "I AM ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL" thing, no more Reaper individual will.

how is this confusing?
Why would I play a game that I already finished? And didn't the starchild say that he was some kind of VI that created the Reapers? That would mean that the Reapers probably do more than just listen to him, they probably listen to his every command.

So by exerting this DIRECT CONTROL, Sheppard basically wipes out the free will of this Leviathan Reaper as well. Nice. It's basically like getting the Geth to fight at your side and then wiping them out with the destruction option.
Hey, it's not all bad. I bet having your own pet Reaper will bring in, like, 50 whole War Asset points. Surely that'll make all the difference in the end. [/sarcasm]

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
The Human Torch said:
Why would I play a game that I already finished? And didn't the starchild say that he was some kind of VI that created the Reapers? That would mean that the Reapers probably do more than just listen to him, they probably listen to his every command.

So by exerting this DIRECT CONTROL, Sheppard basically wipes out the free will of this Leviathan Reaper as well. Nice. It's basically like getting the Geth to fight at your side and then wiping them out with the destruction option.
Yeah, but you're missing the point where this DLC is going to be set before the end of ME3.

You know when you finish the game, the credits roll, then it drops you back on the Normandy alive and well right before the Cerberus base assault? That's when you're supposed to play your DLC. I assume once you've got it installed if you start a new playthrough it'll be like the DLC for the other titles, you can start the DLC missions whenever you want before the endgame run.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
SecretNegative said:
Need moar squad members!

Seriously, they missed out on an oppertunity when Balak offered the batarian bombing fleet, damn he would've become a great squadmate.

A reaper will have to suffice.
Need more dialogue with existing squad members. Auto-dialogue makes this one cringe.

OT: The premise for the DLC also makes me cringe. I miss fighting the Blue Suns now. And no, I'm not a Mass Effect 3 hater. So don't come at me saying, "Aw Mr. Compwainey-Pants no like ending so won't wuv anything eva again!". Why would you say that? And who baby-talks at adults? Seriously....

Oh...back on track. I may still get this. Overall, Mass Effect 3 was amazing. It had some mind-bogglingly stupid screw-ups: The ending, auto-dialogue, huge choices meaning nothing (the freaking Collector base!!! How is that such a small thing?!? Geez, how many threads were there about "What choice did you make at the end of Mass Effect 2"?). But anyway, the gameplay in the third game is great and I still love these characters. So whatever...I'll cringe in the bad parts and enjoy the rest.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
AD-Stu said:
The Human Torch said:

Yeah, but you're missing the point where this DLC is going to be set before the end of ME3.

You know when you finish the game, the credits roll, then it drops you back on the Normandy alive and well right before the Cerberus base assault? That's when you're supposed to play your DLC. I assume once you've got it installed if you start a new playthrough it'll be like the DLC for the other titles, you can start the DLC missions whenever you want before the endgame run.
I can see how they are going on about it, but it seems to odd to replay the last 2 hours of the game, simply for some DLC. Most people already closed the book on ME3, and I doubt that with the ending have the reputation it has (and deserves), not many are going to replay it.

So this is what the Mass Effect series has become, a gaming version of Groundhog Day. Players are 'forced' to relive the ending of ME3, for so long as EA is releasing DLC. :D

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
dreadedcandiru99 said:
Hey, it's not all bad. I bet having your own pet Reaper will bring in, like, 50 whole War Asset points. Surely that'll make all the difference in the end. [/sarcasm]
Hah, yeah. Gotta love the War Asset System. It's like the level system in Dragonball Z. Picture this scenario:

*Starchild is in the Crucible*
Starchild: "Harbinger, what does the scanner say about the fleet's power?"
Harbinger: "IT'S OVER 9,0000!!!!!!"

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
The Human Torch said:
dreadedcandiru99 said:
Hah, yeah. Gotta love the War Asset System. It's like the level system in Dragonball Z. Picture this scenario:

Starchild: "WHAT, 9000?! THERE'S NO WAY THAT CAN BE RIGHT!...sigh. Okay, I guess we've got no choice. We'd better turn on the purple Plot Resolution Beam, too."

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I don't know what to think about this.

On the one hand, I was always intrigued by that bit of planetary information. The other hand, I think I would prefer for the origins of the Reapers, or anything big like that to remain an odd mystery, akin to something really out there like the Crystaline Entity from that one episode of Star Trek TNG.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Just so long as they add more plot holes I'll be happy.
Delicious delicious plot holes.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
dreadedcandiru99 said:
The Human Torch said:
dreadedcandiru99 said:

Starchild: "WHAT, 9000?! THERE'S NO WAY THAT CAN BE RIGHT!...sigh. Okay, I guess we've got no choice. We'd better turn on the purple Plot Resolution Beam, too."
Haha. :D
And they could have fixed all this mess so easily. Just make one ending, with varying degrees of success, depending on which choices you made throughout all 3 games. Do everything right, you get the best ending possible, do everything wrong and everybody dies. Instead, the name Bioware became synonymous with bad writing. Pity.

pandorum

Mar 22, 2011
I think the main problem with ME3 is this wider audience EA keeps banging on about.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Zhukov said:
Who said anything about hive mind collectives? I said under control. Doesn't have to be the same thing.

Where are you getting this information? "He does possess massive power over them, but they are not fully under his control." Based on what? How do you know this? How can you argue with, "The Reapers are mine. I control them"?

See above, re: bullshitting.
Easy, its called I am not taking what he said to an illogical extreme.

The only person I see "bullshitting" here is you who is obviously taking what the SC said WAY past when me meant.

Where on earth are you getting "I control every single aspect of what they do" from "I control them"?

Where are you getting ANYTHING beyond "I control the "plan" and how they enact the "plan""?