New MMO Brings Old Testament Online

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
You know, this sounds offensive, bland, conflicted, and... oddly interesting. I think I may need to keep an eye on this one. I could always use another browser based game to toy around with.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Cool so I get to play a game where I can enslave, loot, and pillage people for following a different religion while having multiple wives. Where do I sign up?

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
SuperMse said:
How can it be an MMOG if everyone is playing as Abraham, Isaac, or Jacob?
Well, at least we can guarantee some Abraham vs. Isaac PVP.

Sepiida

Jan 25, 2010
Sounds like a bad Age of Empires clone. Can't say I'd be that interested even were I religious.

You know what would be interesting though, a game like this where they let you play as the Caananites or one of the other tribes of the time. Fighting in the name of Baal and all that. Now that's a game I'd check out.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
SilentHunter7 said:
vansau said:
The Bible Online

Pssst. Your code is showing. ;)

OT: Oh boy. Blizzard better be careful. Looks like we have a challenger for WoW on our hands here!
Thanks for the note; it is now corrected and tucked safely away ;)

mountainfire

Forum Lurker
Jan 23, 2009
vansau said:
Players will apparently get to "reenact and witness" events from the Book of Genesis, though exactly how interactive moments like Caine's murder of Abel and the Great Flood will be (or if they'll even show up) remains to be seen.
I would just like to point out that the murder of Abel and the Flood occur BEFORE Abraham, so these are unlikely events to appear in such a game.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
I hate how every designer of a Christian game always tries to make it about "getting closer to the Bible" instead of simply making a great game based on the stories and settings therein. The Bible can stand up on its own merits as a story telling device, and people who want to study the Bible can do so without a game. They need to stop trying to make everything part of some religious education and start looking at the Bible as a wellspring of interesting source material.

Nessmk2

Jan 26, 2010
I think this is actually a step in the right direction for religious gaming, as much as that might seem an oxymoron.

Right now, so many religious game developers make a game preachy first, and then worry about tacking gameplay on later. It's that kind of thing that gets them mocked and sees their games as total failures... The only people that will buy the games are people that're already Christian/Jewish/Hindu/whatever. Gamers don't go in going "Man, this game is gonna have a great message!" They go in looking for fun, and if there's a message in it (as there can be in a lot of games) so be it.

I can't wait until someone really gets a grip on that and actually makes something that's a game first religious second. It'll be good for them, because, if it's good enough, people will buy the good game and happen to hear their message, so their message gets heard, and they stop making crappy games, so it's at least somewhat good for the game market.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
...Wait what, hold up, this will only end in tears and heartache.

I mean, let be honest, this won't do any good, why is it that people try to bring Religon into games? To me that sounds like throwing a jug full of Kerosene into a Fireplace.
Hold on, full stop. We're talking Old Testimate here. You know, where God was still a bastard and the Hebrews made war with anyone and everyone. Old Testimate bible is just as good of a potential game as, say, Norse Mythology.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
vansau said:
breese said:
Sooo just thought I'd point out that this game isn't actually "Christian". It's more accurate to say that it's Jewish. Anything pre-New Testament, especially Genesis was originally (and remains to be) part of the Torah, the Jewish "bible".

Yeah this is probably being made by some Christians, but I doubt it will have any Christian Dogma in it.
It's called "The Bible Online", and they're planning to incorporate other chapters from the Bible in the future. Pretty sure it's Christian.
Yes, Christianity started out a Jewish Sect, and alot of the beliefs in the Old Testament are essential to the beliefs and tenanents in christianity.

p.s If I reply to you (vansau) and you get a notification, will "breese" also get a reply notification?

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
Well, maybe extremist Catholics, Muslims and Jews can kill each other in a browser based MMO to prove once in for all who's god is real and who is right. Probably not.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
While interesting and a nice attempt I can't say with any sort of honesty that I think that this will work out well.