New MMO Studio Formed by Mythic, SOE Veterans

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Irridium said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
An MMO in a year?

Even with Gates, Molyneux, Jobs and Meier onboard, I'd be amazed if they can do that.
Well they can, but it will suck and be very, very, very buggy.
Its most likely because the market accepts unfinished products as retail releases as of late..

Iridul

Feb 14, 2010
"Still, even with all the experience here, is there enough room for Second Star Interactive?"
Your statement assumes that the market is already saturated, I've seen nothing to suggest this is the case. Even within the pay to play subscription marketplace what has been lacking is enough quality to retain customers, not customers themselves.

"Headed by Darrin Hyrup, a founder of Mythic Entertainment and 26-year veteran of online games, Second Star Interactive will use the HeroEngine to create a new MMO set to release by the end of 2011."
This is the more pertinent point. Even if they already have the core of an MMO ready with their toolsets, a year is incredibly fast to develop an MMO when you consider how long EA-Bioware have taken with SW:TOR using the same toolsets.

khanstruct

Mar 1, 2011
We worked with the group from Idea Fabrik until the end of last year, when they refused to pay us what they owed us and cut ties. I can tell you that they have not put any previous work into an MMO. When we left, they were still debating which Facebook game they wanted to make.

This is nothing more than another burst of hype from them to push their stock price up. This company has yet to deliver on anything it's promised. They said outright that they know 95% of these games fail, so they don't care if one ever succeeds or is even finished. They make their money by selling hype to investors.

Paratwa

Mar 4, 2011
I dunno, I have been a fan of Darrin's for a while, I played his online games back before teh intarbwebz was even popular. He is a really good story/game designer. :)