New Motion Controls Will Extend Hardware Cycle, Say Analysts

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
New Motion Controls Will Extend Hardware Cycle, Say Analysts

The new motion control technology recently revealed by Sony and Microsoft will lengthen the lives of current-gen consoles, industry analysts predict.

With some analysts saying that this is the last generation of consoles and some saying it isn't, one thing most people can agree on is that this gen will last longer than any other before it. According to industry analysts, that might end up being a result of the new motion sensing technology unveiled by Microsoft and Sony earlier this week: Project Natal and the "PlayStation Wand."

Instead of releasing completely new hardware, Microsoft and Sony have opted to release potentially game-changing new technology on existing platforms. Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian said that this is a strategy that may prove effective, as the two new devices "may provide the industry with its next growth driver and extend the console cycle."

But which one will do it better? Project Natal or the PS Wand? Cowen Group's Doug Creutz thinks Sony has the edge, saying that "Sony actually did the best job among hardware manufacturers, both in terms of upcoming titles and longer-term strategy."

That's because of the PS Wand's potential for speaking to "core gamers," Creutz thinks. During the demo, Sony suggested the device might be used effectively for first-person shooters and real-time strategy games. "We felt Sony's gamer-oriented motion capture camera was superior to Microsoft's casual-oriented offering," he explained.

[Via Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23905]]

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
You know, this headline says "New Motion Controls Will Extend Hardware Cycle, Say Anal", just a heads up...

I think this will not lengthen the lifespan, you need good core games to keep it going.

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
You know, this headline says "New Motion Controls Will Extend Hardware Cycle, Say Anal", just a heads up...
Probably the main reason you checked out the article in the first place, cough cough.

But I agree on the lifespan thing. Games are a pretty important part in it all. Good ones, that is.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
I would be amazed if we didn't see an Xbox360 replacement in the next two years, and similar for the Wii. Sony are in 3rd place, and will be scared of losing all the ground they won with the PS1+2 to Microsoft.

If the PS3+Xbox360 motion controls are really up to scratch, then it will make the Wii seem very dated by comparison. Nintendo will need to up the ante in order to compete in the future, and I expect they already have something lined up.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:

I think this will not lengthen the lifespan, you need good core games to keep it going.
What are you talking about? This will definitely increase the lifespan of the current generation. We get to see the 360 and PS3 stick around for at LEAST a couple more days as developers try to justify making games to utilize these new controls.

SykoSilver

Sep 10, 2007
I don't get it. Just because their presentation of Natal targeted casual gamers does not mean it cannot have competitive core applications. Just because they didn't show it being used for a sword, bow, or gun?

SykoSilver

Sep 10, 2007
Kwil said:
SykoSilver said:
I don't get it. Just because their presentation of Natal targeted casual gamers does not mean it cannot have competitive core applications. Just because they didn't show it being used for a sword, bow, or gun?
Part of what makes many "core" gaming titles is precision. Do you have the skill to pull off that ridiculous shot? Can you control the units well enough so that they're in the exact right position. Natal really doesn't lend itself well to precision, except perhaps in timing, and standard controllers already handle that well enough.

As for the Sony implementation, I don't think this will extend the console's life-cycle much beyond Sony's original plans, but only because I think Sony built the PS3 with the expectation of it having a ridiculously long life-cycle. Unfortunately, they still have to contend with the PS3 price point issues in this economy, so I'm not willing to call it a hit or a miss.
Well, we don't have a good idea of how precise or not precise Natal is. We'll have to see more tech demos. But I think that with Natal's object recognition, it could easily have peripherals which could be used much in the same manner as the PlayStation motion controller.

While Microsoft is all about "removing the controller" right now, I think they've forgotten something--the tactile factor. It's nice to actually hold something when interacting with props, especially when you're trying to slash a sword, shoot a bow, or fire a gun. I think for Natal, even though an accessory may not be required, I might prefer one.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Who the hell are these analysts that think gamers give a shit about this crap? They're just trying to cash in on Nintendo's thunder. Failgesture is fail.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I still regularly play on a Gamecube and a PS2. I give less than a damn about console generations, except in a few inconvenient cases.

And that's what Natal is? I've seen the name around, I just never felt motivated enough to read any of the threads. I thought it was a game or something.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
And that's what Natal is? I've seen the name around, I just never felt motivated enough to read any of the threads. I thought it was a game or something.
Wow really? Can't even be bothered to look it up in Wikipedia? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Natal]

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I have to say, when I see Natal and Sony's PS3 Wand, I think: "Sega CD" and "Sega 32X".

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Mazty said:
After seeing the Sony wand I wasn't too interested in it, but watching it again it stuck me:
If incorporated into real games (Oblivion), suddenly skill other than pad mashing comes into play. Sword fights where the best fencer wins, FPS' where the guy with fast real-life reflexes and steady aim wins etc.
I'd be happy to go back to basics just to play games which have real skill in rather than the ageing pad formula, which makes you feel that the only way to win is to just gather weight sat on a couch. Should be really, really good when finally released and will certainly add years onto each console.
The Reality of the Virtual World is nigh! I definately like the approach that Sony had with their Wiimote Wii-poff motion controller, they showed some ways that it could be practically used like in an RTS or an FPS. For Microsoft, the voice and face recognition also seemed pretty cool.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
NeutralDrow said:
Wow really? Can't even be bothered to look it up in Wikipedia? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Natal]
Of course not. If I'm not even motivated enough to click a thread on a forum I'm already browsing, why would I do any kind of further research?

Yoshi_egg80

Apr 1, 2009
Whats the point of this console generation crap except where I have to shove out another $200+ to get anything new/interesting.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Motion sensing controllers will fail to an epic degree. The colossal problem is that there is no resistance. If PS3 dives into motion controls then they had better give me a 5kg aluminium sword to play Final Fantasy with, not a 100 gram stick of cheap plastic.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Good, then they will have even more catching up to do when they try to make the next gen compete against the PC.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
Andy_Panthro said:
I would be amazed if we didn't see an Xbox360 replacement in the next two years, and similar for the Wii.
The Wii might get some beefier hardware a la DSi or GBA:SP but I doubt it's going to be a brand new console. And I seriously doubt you're going to see a new Xbox less than five years from now. Developement costs for games are already ridiculously high and nobody (console manufactures or game developers) want to start the cycle again just when everybody is hitting their stride.