New mythological creature to get behind?

InvisibleSeal

The Invisible One
May 3, 2009
I like griffins: they weren't ruined by Harry Potter I don't think. I think everyone knows what they are, but for the people who don't, they are half lion half eagle (eagle's head and talons, lions hindquarters).

They just look so awesome, but I'm not really sure which mythology they are from.
Then again, I'm not sure if I can say "I like griffins" since they aren't technically real...
EDIT: Plus they aren't really mainstream like dragons etc.

EDIT again:
Drakmeire said:
I suggest "Ghouls". for those of you who don't know much about ghouls, they are basicly intelligent zombies that gain the memories and appearance of any creature they consume (at least in some versions). Any thoughts on that?
Probably the best kind of mythological creature to "get behind" or something would be something that would specifically target humans I suppose. So ghouls, from your suggestion, are a good idea. Also, what about doppelgangers (they copy the voices and semblance of a person and then target new people).

Vampires are only as successful as they are maybe just because they seem to be specifically malicious towards humans, and are stealthy. I suppose this should be the kind of thought process people go through when thunking of game enemies or whatever.

Wow, really long post - sorry!

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Minotaurs.

Sure, legend only refers to two of them, but the idea of a beast like that would be an intriguing idea for a civilisation.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
i'm gonna go with...Costa Rican (or some other south american place) weretigers. it's a fucking person. that turns. into. an upright walking tiger. homo felinus, i think that would be. or something like that. and if i made the retarded mistake of placing Costa Rica in south america, (i know it's an island) ,then i'm sorry. don't call me out on my laziness of not looking it up.

oh, ONIS! fuck yes! shapeshifting human possessor? thank you very much!

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Ok quick primer, ghouls are not mainstream, zombies are the unintelligent limping hordes of the undead, ghouls are smart loners that just happen to be undead, they also shapeshift. Just explaining that as far as I know there is no movie about ghouls, there is one episode of supernatural about them though.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
MasterSqueak said:
We already have a mythological creature on this site.

The dreaded MaxTheReaper.
number 1, your comment: hell yes.

number 2, your avatar: hell yes.

SevenStarSonata

Jul 26, 2009
jasoncyrus said:
And no, not murlocs. Most of the population dispises all things wow and most of the worlds governments think its the root of all gaming addictions and evil. points to china* they've even gne as far as torturing kids with EST because of it.
China makes me giggle. It also makes me glad I do not live in China so I can nurse my MMORPG addiction in peace.

Sindre1 said:
Gargoyles.

I just love that word :p
At first, the suggestion of "gargoyles" made me jump with girlish glee, if only because Disney no longer makes such ridiculously awesome animated TV series, but naw...half the awesomeness of vampires is that they're universal. You could walk down a dark alley anywhere and get attacked by one...no one's really in danger of being attacked by gargoyles unless, yennow...you have a fondness for haunting medieval castles at night.

lwm3398 said:
i'm gonna go with...Costa Rican (or some other south american place) weretigers. it's a fucking person. that turns. into. an upright walking tiger. homo felinus, i think that would be. or something like that. and if i made the retarded mistake of placing Costa Rica in south america, (i know it's an island) ,then i'm sorry. don't call me out on my laziness of not looking it up.
Sweet jeebus, I can see the furry pr0n now.

...I am in a horribly unhelpful and uncreative mood tonight. I shall think of a good mythological creature...

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
The Hydra!!!!!!! I mean seriosley it gets stronger everytime you cut off one of it's head.

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
The Greek Gods and Titans. They are as people apparently say, epic win. Really anything from Ancient Greece rules.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
SevenStarSonata said:
lwm3398 said:
Sweet jeebus, I can see the furry pr0n now.

...I am in a horribly unhelpful and uncreative mood tonight. I shall think of a good mythological creature...
i'm not being creative, that's a mythic creature of south america! no shit, i'm serious. as for furry...my brain's picture maker is very angry.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Vanguard_Ex said:
Werewolves. Pure awesome.
plus, they are everywhere and nowhere, and they're german. very large cookie WITH ice cream for reference.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
jad4400 said:
The Hydra!!!!!!! I mean seriosley it gets stronger everytime you cut off one of it's head.
i was going to say this, but it's only a singular creature. i thought he meant a whole race of creatures. there's only one hydra, i thought. maybe not, please tell me if i'm wrong.

sokka14

Mar 4, 2009
since people have come out with "druids" and "vikings" i'm going to go for the deeply mythological longbowmen.

EDIT: my real choice is for the watchdog out of the phantom tollbooth, god i used to love that book.

SevenStarSonata

Jul 26, 2009
lwm3398 said:
i'm not being creative, that's a mythic creature of south america! no shit, i'm serious. as for furry...my brain's picture maker is very angry.
Eh, I am being uncreative as in my brain can't seem to come up with anything more interesting than "chupacabra" (sp?), and as I am fond of sheep and do not wish them to be eaten, I'm not gettin' behind it.

Glad to make your brain's picture maker angry. My work here is done. :D