New NES Game Asks You to Shoot Yourself (With a Zapper)

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
New NES Game Asks You to Shoot Yourself (With a Zapper)

[kickstarter=/batslyadams/super-russian-roulette-a-new-party-game-for-the-ne]
Andrew Reitano's Super Russian Roulette has raised more than 20,000 dollars on Kickstarter.

The <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/nes>NES Zapper is easily one of the most iconic peripherals in the history of gaming. Granted, the thing's actual functionality was fairly limited, but it was still fun to use and many gamers still hold it in fond regard. We feel safe in counting Andrew Reitano in that number. Inspired by his love of the zapper, Reitano recently launched <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/batslyadams/super-russian-roulette-a-new-party-game-for-the-ne?ref=category_recommended>a Kickstarter aimed at funding what may possibly be the most wonderfully inappropriate NES game ever made.

The name of the game? Super Russian Roulette. Utilizing both the zapper and a custom 1MB NES cartridge, the game pits players against each other in a contest to see who can survive shooting themselves in the head. Egging them on through the process is a fully voiced "8-bit cowboy" who badgers the players with insults until they pull the trigger. "One bullet waits in the light gun's chamber," says the Kickstarter. The unlucky player who gets hit with that "bullet" loses. The game has been "tested extensively" and runs on an actual NES console.

Super Russian Roulette originated as an attempt on Reitano's part to fulfill his longstanding desire to experiment with the zapper. His plans for the game expanded however, after he took it to Fantastic Arcade 2015 and wound winning the event's Audience Choice Award. Realizing that the game could be more than a personal project, he launched his <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/kickstarter>Kickstarter to help him produce it in larger quantities. Reitano has asked for 20,000 dollars. It's a goal that the campaign has, in less a day, already achieved.
[gallery=5819]
Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/batslyadams/super-russian-roulette-a-new-party-game-for-the-ne?ref=category_recommended>Kickstarter

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
It's articles like these that make me wonder why anyone should bother getting a job when you can apparently make $20,000 off something as stupid as this. Seriously? So it's just a bare-bones Russian-roulette with a layer of NEStalgia (yes, I'm appropriately ashamed of that pun) to make it seem edgy? You can simulate Russian-roulette with a single dice, and the fact that you're holding a comical device to your head doesn't make it any more exciting, or at least, not exciting enough to be fun for more than a minute.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Why is this called "Super" Russian Roulette? Shouldn't this be reserved for the sequel on the SUPER Nintendo Entertainment System, you know the console that loved putting Super in front of their sequels to NES titles?

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Dead Metal said:
Why is this called "Super" Russian Roulette? Shouldn't this be reserved for the sequel on the SUPER Nintendo Entertainment System, you know the console that loved putting Super in front of their sequels to NES titles?
It's a bit difficult to play russian roulette with a toy bazooka, though.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I hate to admit it, but I laughed at that Kickstarter video more than I should. It might as well be a parody of an 80's commercial; but the product isn't a made up joke.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
NPC009 said:
Dead Metal said:
Doesn't really solve my problem with the name though, Super is reserved for SNES games. As for too difficult to play it with a bazooka, oh please, as if there could be anything more 90s marketing than having a game in which you play Russian Roulette with a bazooka, that would have been a selling point for this.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Dead Metal said:
NPC009 said:
Dead Metal said:
Doesn't really solve my problem with the name though, Super is reserved for SNES games. As for too difficult to play it with a bazooka, oh please, as if there could be anything more 90s marketing than having a game in which you play Russian Roulette with a bazooka, that would have been a selling point for this.
Tell that to Super Mario Bros.