New Nintendo Console "Confirmed" for E3

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
God nooooooo!

Please, tell me it isn't so. Damn you Nintendo. If this one is half as bad as your last two consoles*, I will kill you.

*the wii and gamecube

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
HA! I knew it.
Nintendo is going to be the first company to come out with a new console.
The XBOX 360 and PS3 will probably be good for another 3 years by comparison.

gillebro

Nov 13, 2009
Hmm, this'll be interesting.

I think that saying that the Wii was a right-royal disgrace is more than a little unfair. I'd argue that motion sensors were something that had to be tried, and Nintendo was the company that decided to do it and in doing so created a different aspect of gaming that brought in more of that casual gaming market. In losing a lot of the hard-core market they probably gained so many more new gamers, and saying that new gamers don't matter is being snobby and elitist.

Having said that, what the Wii lacks is the potential to bring games into the "art" medium. When you're operating the controls by flailing your arms about you're taking away from the in-game experience. It's easier to appreciate the story and the characters and all of that other nice stuff when the controls aren't distracting you.

So HOPEFULLY the next Nintendo console will have some kind of option, where you can either play with motion sensors (to appease the casual crowd who are still wanting to play those more casual games), and normal controllers, which when combined with graphics upgrades and the hopeful hiring of people who can actually write shit, could open the doors for some really interesting innovation in the actual games. It would be REALLY nice to get some original ideas - some kind of new character or concept whose games could not have been done on 3rd gen consoles.

We'll have to see what happens, hey?

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I wonder what it'll play like. I mean, where can you go after the Wii? They'll either have to continue down that road or go back to the more traditional controller. Unless it's something like the virtual boy (only that works) or the kinect, I can't see them doing anything spectacular.

I know this is probably starting off the next console generation and really I guess it's been long enough, but man I hate to see my PS3 go, especially since I'm just fixing to get a new one. I really thought we wouldn't hear about a new console from any of the Big Three for a few more years, but technology is moving at a fast pace.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
um.... isnt being technically limited and "fun", sort of the wii's thing? As if they try to improve their hardware they will be competing with the xbox, PC and PS3 who have the market pretty well covered. Also if it had better tech inside it what games would it play? Supermario 34 HD? Most of the current wii games dont really need graphics.

the only way i can see this succeeding is if it takes the "Apple route" and relies on its fan base to buy any product just with the word "Nintendo/Apple" on it.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Color me completely uninterested. I loved my NES back in the day, but all they want to do these days are the cheap tricks. Actually developing any sort of beneficial relationship with a 3rd party dev is just something they can't figure out.

I'll stick with the PS360, thanks.

AncientYoungSon

Jun 17, 2009
GrimHeaper said:
This is somewhat long okay.
http://www.gameinformer.com/p/decade.aspx

That's all I have to say on the subject.

And no, they're not all just "space marines" or any of the other dismissive crap Nintendo fans like to use to justify hating anything not made by Nintendo.

Ezio? Nathan Drake? Raz? John Marston? These are fantastic characters, infinitely better than most of the soulless cypher protagonists Nintendo has been clinging to for decades.

And you know why Nintendo uses cyphers? Because they're SAFE. Mario is like a perfectly round stone: no jagged edges that anyone could possibly take issue with, engineered to be as inoffensive to every type of person (except those leery on Italian stereotypes, of course) for maximum sales potential.

I actually liked Captain Olimar because he had those journal entries between missions that let you see things through his eyes. In fact, I like any Nintendo character they aren't afraid to give a voice and an actual personality. But I digress.

In all of those characters, you'll find one honorable mention of Professor Layton. That's pathetic. Nintendo hasn't dared to create a new character with a new franchise in far too long, and for a company raking in the dough like they are, it confirms our fears that their priorities are now lodged firmly in the fat housewife market, not with people who actually want to play GAMES.

AncientYoungSon

Jun 17, 2009
GrimHeaper said:
The xbox came out in 2001 it's easy coming up with IP's when you are a new console company.
Shouldn't the company that was creating character-based franchises for years logically be better at creating new character based franchises?

You didn't Listen Mario is so adaptive he can fill ANY genre making new IP's that are original hard to make now.
I think this is one of the most loathsome things about Nintendo: rather than innovate, they'd prefer to slap Mario into yet another sports title and call it something to fill the release schedule.

Nintendo has been around since 1889 lets see you come up with new IP's when you are that old.
They have done everything already that is the problem and for you to expect some new IP that they haven't done is silly.
This makes absolutely no sense. A company's age has absolutely no relevance on whether or not they're able to come up with new ideas and characters. Disney is over 50 years old and yet Tangled was excellent.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Why can't Nintendo go the Sega way and become a third party developer/publisher instead of making gimmicky consoles?

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
Why can't Nintendo go the Sega way and become a third party developer/publisher instead of making gimmicky consoles?
That's worked really well for Sega, hasn't it?