New Nintendo Console "Confirmed" for E3

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
So wait, Nintendo made the Wii to get out of the dwindling hardcore market, and now, after spending 5 years alienating that market to build support and brand recognition in the casual market, they're trying to get back into it? Although considering the number of young kids that have started out gaming on the Wii, Nintendo now has brand-recognition with a very large group of hardcore-receptive people (ie, if someone got a Wii as a 3-6 year old, they'll have it imprinted that Nintendo=Fun, and they're just now getting to the age where complex gameplay will be attractive). They basically kind of abandoned this generation of gamers to grow their own, like they did with the NES.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Sony and Microsoft are no where near ready to launch another platform. The earliest for them is late 2013. Sony really wants to push 3D gaming and possible cloud based stuff. Microsoft may try a more social platform PC/Win 7 phone/Game Console thing that they'll screw up someway.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
For their sakes it better support DVD AND Blu-Ray. No one wants another new gen console that cant even play DVD's off the bat. Personally Im already leaning towards PS3's, Nintendo's failing for me bigtime these past few years hardware wise.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
not a gimmick? nintendo's all about being family friendly and the only reason everything sells well is because there's a gimmick for everyone, balance board for the mum, golf for dad.

bomblord

Mar 16, 2011
Wait wait wait wait WAIT so half of you are b***ing that Nintendo might be doing exactly what you've been b***ing they should do for the last 6 years?

NinjaTigerXIII

Apr 21, 2010
More powerful then the ps3 and xbox 360? Ladies and Gents I think the time may finally have come. THE $1000 CONSOLE IS UPON US! There is no way something that is MORE powerful then a PS3 that also can backwards compatibly play Wii games is going to be cheap. Hell it may even be more expensive then that! And It BETTER at least be able to play DVD's. I mean the PS2 and the Xbox could play DVDs yet when the Wii came around, nope, still no DVD player. FAIL

CronoT

May 15, 2010
Verlander said:
Interested. I reckon they announce it at E3, and release it late 2012, before Microsoft or Sony can get to launch. The best bit is that the Wii has clear improvements, while I'm not sure current gen technology can improve the other two at the moment. I think Nintendo may do it again...

Backwards compatibility is a must.
With PlayStation Move and Xbox Kinect starting to no longer be a joke; still a joke with the Move, mostly, Nintendo knew it was time to bring out the new tech. If you've read the book "Game Over: Press Start to Continue", you'd know that Hiroshi Yamauchi had his engineers working on the Super NES almost 5 years before it was publicly announced.

With each new generation, Nintendo has invented or improved on design and control. The NES had twice the power of any other console at its launch. The Super NES added more face buttons and invented shoulder buttons. The N64 added a new contour controller scheme, and brought back analog controls, something that had languished since the Halcyon days of Atari. The GameCube improved on the N64 Controller mold and smoothed out the button scheme. Finally, the Wii changed input dynamics as we know it. The only other system like it are spatial PC mice, and they're expensive as hell. Nintendo even made and streamlined a console mouse, which Sony shamelessly copied.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Mouse

Microsoft is about the only company that's beaten Nintendo to the punch with the Kinect. As for the PlayStation Eye: It sucked, and Sony never figured out how to use it, beyond gimmicky, kitschy games. Also, Sony has been using the same tired rip-off of the Super NES controller for over a decade. Time to innovate, people.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Hmmmmm...

If going head-to-head against the PS3/360 graphically speaking is their only goal, then I'm concerned. Surely they should be going for next-gen level graphics, lest they become overshadowed once more (well, in terms of graphics at least) when the PS4/Xbox 720 get inevitably revealed?

OTMD

Apr 15, 2011
Let us hope that innovation trumps hype this time. Nintendo may well be onto something refreshing; one of the few things to the Wii's detriment was that most of the popular games released these past four years were console exclusive; and it certainly seemed that the Wii fed from the shallow end of that trough.

4li3n

Jan 3, 2009
ninonybox360 said:
Im not ready for the new console generation yet :/
Considering that this gen already lasted longer then the previous ones i don't understand how you bought into this gen and expected it to last for much longer...

Although i doubt that they'll have any new console out by 2012, maybe by Nov-Dec to take advantage of the holidays at the earliest, because we'd have heard more about it already.

OTMD

Apr 15, 2011
Nothing, I think, is wrong with a little "borrowing" on the hardware front. As long as the titles that they attach them to are worth playing... Besides how much of the Big 3's hardware is produced in-house anyway?

Keybladeking57

Mar 8, 2011
Honestly I'd have no problems at all with the wii if they put out more good games for it. It seems like the only games I play anymore come from steam for my laptop. I don't have a Ps3 or a 360, so I'm forced down that road. If Nintendo puts out more GOOD material on this new "Console", then I don't care if it's motion controlled or not. Nintendo has sucked at controllers since the Snes died out to be honest.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Oh now this is interesting. If the system uses motion control it cements there place in the gaming world be perpetuating them across another generation. If they choose not to use motion control s it send s a clear message that the old way has a solid holding on gaming and will not be so easily changed. If they have both then it shows that motion controls are valid but only as a side preference. No matter what they do its a historic moment for the development of gaming because it defines what companies at the is moment choose and what the future will choose.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Please be VR
Please be VR
Please be VR
Please be VR
Please be VR

*crosses fingers*

And no, I don't mean something dumb and eye straining like the virtual boy, but something like those giant machines people used to go into... only stream-lined into a sleek headset? It's not like we aren't capable of it now with the tech we have. I will not die happy until I have actually walked through a Zelda dungeon.