New No Man's Sky Patch Released, Loads of Bugs Fixed

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Can't say I ever experienced anything on that list of bugs before when I did play, but bug fixes are not what this game needs, especially reading some of those unimportant sounding fixes.

For the price this game is asking, it needs far more than just "Explore, mine, shoot." There needs to be build-ables, actual crafted planets, a god damn end goal that is actually a goal and not a reset point. You don't even get to explore the fucking center of the galaxy, you just touch it and go back to square 1.

If every single planet wasn't a massive dumping ground of "Race" words, identical altars, and 17 thousand variants of 16-legged crab fucker, it'd be vastly improved, but it's "randomly generated" crap isn't enough.

Can't say I'll ever go back and play it again anyway, regardless of the future fixes unless there are huge additions to the game at no cost, cause this game is as deep as the planets it creates are...which is about 10 feet. If you ever tried to mine to the center of a planet, you'll understand.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
truckspond said:
Why are they fixing bugs and not adding everything promised and publicly shown that is missing?

FINISH THE GAME FIRST!
What? Fixing bugs should always come before expanding a piece of software.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
bluegate said:
truckspond said:
Why are they fixing bugs and not adding everything promised and publicly shown that is missing?

FINISH THE GAME FIRST!
But getting the actually planned content in is above fixing bugs.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Bindal said:
bluegate said:
truckspond said:

FINISH THE GAME FIRST!
But getting the actually planned content in is above fixing bugs.
What's the point of having more content if it's unplayable due to bugs? Seems much better to have less content that functions perfectly than a large amount of glitchy buggy content. Plus fixing bugs typically takes a hell of a lot less time than developing new content.

Not that Hello Games deserve defending after the train wreck they caused but fixing bugs first makes a lot more sense to me.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Well, at least they are doing something.

I feel NMS is exactly the type of a game that would benefit greatly from the development approach that was employed by the devs of Minecraft or Kerbal Space Program. Start small, get players involved early, try to find out what they expect from the game, don't overpromise, let the players do your advertising for you, develop the product gradually with the players' wishes in mind.
Not that it's a failproof way of doing things - Planetary Annihilation comes to mind - but this approach seems to work pretty well for huge open-world sandbox games, at least. You can't make a game like this in one swoop - not if you're a small indie team, anyway. And now that Hello games have lost the fans' faith, they might not have the chance to finish what they started.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
The first bug mentioned is that the corrupt save recovery system is more "robust". What the hell does that even mean? I suspect it's just that they added in a duplicate save archive where it effectively makes two separate save files every time it saves (or offsets one by a small amount of time), and if one is corrupt it tries the other, then if that's corrupt it just hops back to an earlier pair of saves.

But then again, given the rest of what they've said about the game "robust" may just mean nothing. Man, I just can't trust anything Hello Games says anymore. "The sky is blue." -> "Fuck you Hello Games it's purple."

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
While I had some interest in No Man's Sky, I didn't pre-order or buy first day. After that first week said interest diminished. I was thinking it was a one man Star Trek, but seems I was wrong.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Kibeth41 said:
I don't think Sony is tl blame for No Mans Sky in the slightest. I think the key issue is Sean Murray's inexperience with public speaking that led him to Molyneuxing the shit out of his game.
For me the difference is that even when you take away how much nonsense Peter Molyneux said about his games, they did tend to turn out to be pretty good.

With No Man's Sky though, there is just nothing there for me to find enjoyable. It's just a series of collection quests to enable me to move onto the next series of collection quests.