New No Man's Sky Trailer Shows Off Space and Ground Combat

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New No Man's Sky Trailer Shows Off Space and Ground Combat

The latest trailer for No Man's Sky shows just what combat in space and on the surface will look like.

We've seen plenty of trailers for No Man's Sky, and the game definitely looks good. But with the release less than a month away, people are looking to see more. This new trailer is the second in a four-part series showing off different facets of the game, with this one focusing on combat.

You can imagine that there will be plenty of ship combat as you travel the galaxy, but you'll also be fighting on the surface of planets as well. The trailer shows a player taking on native wildlife, mechs, and more.

The third and fourth videos in the series will feature trading and survival, respectively. They'll be released in the coming weeks. If you can't wait for No Man's Sky, it will be released on PC and PS4 on August 9.

[gallery=6350]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Awwww! The creature in screenshot 5 looks really cute! Can we keep it, Sean? Pweeeaaaaase??

Anyhow, the colour palette looks great, i can't quite define what it is, but it appeals to me.
Actually had a dream i was in this game the other day, that usually implies a subconscious interest at least. :)

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
It seems like this is essentially "Mount and Blade: Space Edition". Not that that's a bad thing.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
The Enquirer said:
It seems like this is essentially "Mount and Blade: Space Edition". Not that that's a bad thing.
Man I would kill for a game that

OT: I only a few more weaks unless we get some random delay for a troll patent

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Now that actual gameplay is being shown, I am started to actually have interest. Still holding off though, cause I had similar feelings of doubt, then doubt of that doubt for Destiny, which then turned out to be worse than I initially thought.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Saelune said:
Now that actual gameplay is being shown, I am started to actually have interest. Still holding off though, cause I had similar feelings of doubt, then doubt of that doubt for Destiny, which then turned out to be worse than I initially thought.
Well from what we've seen, combat mechanics have been told to piss off in favor of the rest of the game (it is a bit bare-bones looking)
But in destiny the rest of the game was told to piss off in favor of combat mechanics (Destiny still has good man-shooting)

...hmm but then again there are plenty of games ruined by bad fight stuff while DOOM pulled off the "It's a shooter, you shoot stuff ya dingus" method

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
MCerberus said:
Saelune said:
Well from what we've seen, combat mechanics have been told to piss off in favor of the rest of the game (it is a bit bare-bones looking)
But in destiny the rest of the game was told to piss off in favor of combat mechanics (Destiny still has good man-shooting)

...hmm but then again there are plenty of games ruined by bad fight stuff while DOOM pulled off the "It's a shooter, you shoot stuff ya dingus" method
If exploring is fun and engaging in this game, that is fine. I just want something more than Mass Effect 1's planets. (Though I wish ME expanded that instead of just scrapping it)

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The Enquirer said:
Maybe a very watered down version, though I get the comparison as they both aim to be quintessential sandboxes of their respective setting. However:
Mount and Blade as a very in depth combat system.
Allows for a much greater degree of political manipulation and aspiration.
Is a small enough world for your actions to actually have an impact. This in particular is what I find the most troubling about NMS. The universe is simply far to huge for any of your actions to have a significant impact on it. In Mount and Blade, the simple action of attacking a trade caravan will effect the economy of its corresponding kingdom and nearby cities. I haven't seen anything to suggest this kind of depth and player impact in the NMS universe.

Ultimately, at least for me, the thing that the devs taut as NMS's biggest feature is actually its biggest hindrance. I hope I'm wrong and that the depth and player impact is there, because if that's the case, it'll likely end up being one of my favourite games ever (Warband currently holds that title), but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Funny how it seen to accomplise what Star Citizen aim to do but it doesn't need grands over of money to do it. Ok sure it doesn't have the ecommance thing tht Citizen have but it sure look awesome and fun!

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Saelune said:
Oh, I would definitely not buy games on launch if you have the patience. That seems to have always benefited me financially and time-saving-wise.

I'm more excited about the exploration angle. It's nice to see that fight mechanics are in place and look nice but in general this is the first game with combat in it that I don't really care about combat.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Lightknight said:
Saelune said:
Oh, I would definitely not buy games on launch if you have the patience. That seems to have always benefited me financially and time-saving-wise.

I'm more excited about the exploration angle. It's nice to see that fight mechanics are in place and look nice but in general this is the first game with combat in it that I don't really care about combat.
Oh, it will be some time before I get this game if I do. Games I buy day 1 are games I know I want. But I don't even buy new games very often.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The space combat looks pretty dope. Seems like it's more arcade than games like Elite: Dangerous, perfect for me.

One thing though; the ground weapons look and feel like freakin' Fisherprice toys by the looks of it. Wimpy sounds and wimpy animations. Ah well, I doubt I'll do much fighting. But still.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Seems like it won't have third person chase cam at release.
Other sources tell me that they might include it in a free update if enough people ask for it.

Time to play the waiting game then. ,)
Too bad really, seems like my kind of game, but then again, so did Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.
I really hope this one wont disappoint me too.

Thankfully (and amazingly), I still don't get bored playing Freelancer.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Saelune said:
Lightknight said:
Saelune said:

Oh, it will be some time before I get this game if I do. Games I buy day 1 are games I know I want. But I don't even buy new games very often.
This game offers the only compelling reason to buy day 1 I've ever heard. If you are the first to find a planet or plant or animal, it is forever named after you.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Lightknight said:
Saelune said:
Lightknight said:
Saelune said:

This game offers the only compelling reason to buy day 1 I've ever heard. If you are the first to find a planet or plant or animal, it is forever named after you.
...My interest has taken a major hit. I have no interest in exploring planet xXx_S3ph1R0th1993DarkLord_xXx...

I'm not even joking, that honestly takes me out of it.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Funny how it seen to accomplise what Star Citizen aim to do but it doesn't need grands over of money to do it. Ok sure it doesn't have the ecommance thing tht Citizen have but it sure look awesome and fun!
Considering how Hello Games' previous effort was the Joe Danger series, they're being surprisingly humble about NMS' development.

I think Murray and co. had a specific scope in mind, spent a long time engineering a working prototype and a decent base, and *then* reached for Sony's extended olive branch. Story goes Murray put his house on sale to cover the project's initial cost, and that the studio got pushed through a small gauntlet of unfortunate events. Their Guildford studio was flooded, they had to leech off Internet access from another studio using a cable that was wrapped around the outside of their building...

Things weren't easy. If the game is average at best, I'd still call it a win considering what they've had to work through. They've stayed humble so far if you ignore the inescapable PR hype train. Chris Roberts could learn a thing or two about ambitious game development projects from them.

No lavish parties, no exuberant personality studio leads, no frivolous expenses - just pure game development.

That said, if the game ends up being a success, I hope Murray will treat his team to one heck of an awesome night out. They'll deserve to celebrate.

Saelune said:
My interest has taken a major hit. I have no interest in exploring planet xXx_S3ph1R0th1993DarkLord_xXx...

I was given the impression that you wouldn't so much be able to rename planets as to know *who* discovered them. Past trailer footage showed headers reading stuff like "Achaia Prime - Discovered by Hellogamessean".

Considering, I'm not too worried about running into Planet Dingus or Planet Chode. Insert comment about the inversely proportional maturity of Internet communities here.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
IamLEAM1983 said:
Scarim Coral said:
Considering how Hello Games' previous effort was the Joe Danger series, they're being surprisingly humble about NMS' development.

I think Murray and co. had a specific scope in mind, spent a long time engineering a working prototype and a decent base, and *then* reached for Sony's extended olive branch. Story goes Murray put his house on sale to cover the project's initial cost, and that the studio got pushed through a small gauntlet of unfortunate events. Their Guildford studio was flooded, they had to leech off Internet access from another studio using a cable that was wrapped around the outside of their building...

Things weren't easy. If the game is average at best, I'd still call it a win considering what they've had to work through. They've stayed humble so far if you ignore the inescapable PR hype train. Chris Roberts could learn a thing or two about ambitious game development projects from them.

No lavish parties, no exuberant personality studio leads, no frivolous expenses - just pure game development.

That said, if the game ends up being a success, I hope Murray will treat his team to one heck of an awesome night out. They'll deserve to celebrate.
By all means I having against the NMS crew and I do know full well of the flood incident. They seen a rag tag sort of team and indeed they seen humble about it unlike the people from Star Citizen. Sure both styles are different but the result are the same, a space sim.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Sure both styles are different but the result are the same, a space sim.
The one difference being that while one space sim is an over-funded pipe dream, the other one is within a few weeks of coming out.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Saelune said:
...My interest has taken a major hit. I have no interest in exploring planet xXx_S3ph1R0th1993DarkLord_xXx...

There's probably a filter. That, and the game is that massive that you'll probably never encounter other players' stuff if you don't deliberately team up with another player and warp to them. It's why it doesn't really matter if you buy it on day 1 or not, there's 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets.

Eirreann

Still only counts as one.
Aug 17, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
One thing though; the ground weapons look and feel like freakin' Fisherprice toys by the looks of it. Wimpy sounds and wimpy animations. Ah well, I doubt I'll do much fighting. But still.
I remember hearing somewhere that your "weapon" is actually a multi-purpose tool, which may account for the visual and sound design being comparably wimpy. You're essentially shooting at alien robots with a staple gun or a welding torch. xD