New Ouya Model Features Updated Controller, 16GB Drive

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
New Ouya Model Features Updated Controller, 16GB Drive

The latest version of the Android platform features several improvements for the cost of $130.

The creators of Ouya, the Android gaming platform, have released a new version of the console for sale now at their official website for $129.99. The new, matte black Ouya features an updated controller, which offers a "faster response" and "better buttons" over the older model, according to Polygon.

The new console itself benefits from a 16 gigabyte hard drive and "boosted wi-fi connectivity" as well as the latest version of the Ouya firmware. The previous version of the hardware can still be purchased for $99.

Ouya had previously announced plans to not only ship a new version of their console in 2014 but <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129214-Ouya-2-0-Planned-for-2014>to also roll out annual hardware updates. "We're not a traditional gaming company that comes out every six or seven years with a new console," said Ouya founder Julie Uhrman in an October interview with Polygon. "We made it very clear that we're going to have a yearly refresh on the product, that we're going to continue to improve the performance, leveraging components that are on the market."

Earlier this month, Ouya co-founder Muffi Ghadiali <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131375-Ouya-Co-Founder-Jumps-Ship>announced his decision to leave the company.

Source: <a href=http://shop.ouya.tv/products/ouya-16gb-black>Ouya via <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/31/5365336/ouya-16-gb-refined-controller>Polygon

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well if I'm reading this correctly the internals are almost exactly the same apart from storage and a new WiFi protocol, so if you have one there is no point to upgrading and if you don't then get the better one.
I guess the upside is this postpones the problem of differing computing power, no doubt devs would just code for the newest edition while the rest get shafted.

What I still don't understand is why they only sell console plus controller package, they sell everything else as a separate unit but not the console... why the bloody hell not, would take $50 right off the top and make that low entry an even greater lure, and much more sensible to upgrade.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Mr.K. said:
Well if I'm reading this correctly the internals are almost exactly the same apart from storage and a new WiFi protocol, so if you have one there is no point to upgrading and if you don't then get the better one.
I guess the upside is this postpones the problem of differing computing power, no doubt devs would just code for the newest edition while the rest get shafted.

What I still don't understand is why they only sell console plus controller package, they sell everything else as a separate unit but not the console... why the bloody hell not, would take $50 right off the top and make that low entry an even greater lure, and much more sensible to upgrade.
Yes, OUYA has a poor grasp on business. The newest tegra chipset the K1 is about to come out, and they could have at least made this unit use a tegra 4. It's still around the price of a tegra 3 tablet with hdmi out, so for a little more you could get a home console that becomes portable. And that bit about bundling isn't as bad since no one in their right mind would spend $80 just to get better wireless and an extra 8 gigs of storage, but it will sub someone the wrong way if they make it to another hardware revision worth upgrading to. They shouldn't be making consoles. They should be making controller for smartphones and tablets and accessories for hooking those units easily to tvs, while getting more developers to put gamepad controls in their games.

I even hooked my galaxy s4 up to a tv yesterday with an mhl adapter, an s3/4 specific adapter, and hdmi cable, total cost of cables/adaptors around $15. The chipset in that phone blows away the Ouya's tegra 3. If I liked android games I wouldn't need a Vita or 3DS. I'd just get a blutooth controller. The Ouya is a becoming a solution to problem that only people who hate tablets and smartphones have.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
BigTuk said:
So yeah... putting out a new version.. already... gee... that's sorta giving the finger to all those early adopters huh?"
Considering their plan has always been to have yearly hardware revisions, any early adopters shouldn't be surprised.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Hairless Mammoth said:
They should be making controller for smartphones and tablets and accessories for hooking those units easily to tvs, while getting more developers to put gamepad controls in their games.
I can guarantee you that your typical consumer would not give a shit about the potential for hooking up their portable device to a TV and connecting a controller to it. And no developers are going to bother if there isn't a dedicated platform being pushed. If that were a viable business model, we'd have it already.

Ouya are in the right business because what they're trying to offer is a very inexpensive home console. Not a tablet or smartphone.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Vivi22 said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
They should be making controller for smartphones and tablets and accessories for hooking those units easily to tvs, while getting more developers to put gamepad controls in their games.
I can guarantee you that your typical consumer would not give a shit about the potential for hooking up their portable device to a TV and connecting a controller to it. And no developers are going to bother if there isn't a dedicated platform being pushed. If that were a viable business model, we'd have it already.

Ouya are in the right business because what they're trying to offer is a very inexpensive home console. Not a tablet or smartphone.
The typical consumer wouldn't want to spend $100 on a new piece of hardware when their tablet, smartphone, laptop, desktop, and random kitchen appliance have the cheap free-$3 games on it. They're fine with tapping at a touch screen or online flash games. The kids have 3DS and non-tech savy parents aren't gonna buy this for the kids.

The Ouya's sole reason for surviving now is the few people that do care about hardcore games on android and don't know the thing is about to be obsolete, even this new one. There are games like Modern Combat 4 that are already near this thing's limits, and the next games are gonna be even more processor intensive. Almost all of it's games are also on android market since it's already coded for android, all they need is touch controls. Most developers don't seem to be interested in staying with this dedicated platform only. They might have had a good idea back when the kickstarter began, and lots of people were interested. But, even at release and a few months later it was a let down for even for backers. It just can't keep up with the tablet scene and developer's see it as another android device.

I still stand by my criticism of them not waiting until the Tegra K1 was released before making a revision. Even if they didn't use the K1, Tegra 4 chips should drop in price after the K1's release, making a tegra 4 powered OUYA 2 much cheaper. Muffi Ghadiali probably saw his team's lack of business skill and direction and jumped ship before the bilge pumps even turned on.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
at this point, it's more like a computer than a console, so for the most part, this is not exactly a revolution, just a hobbyist's tiny toybox

i hope they've stopped that ridiculous advertising

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
SO it's just a storage bump... still a few months till OYUA 2.0

I wouldn't mind the new controller. I like using the current one with my laptop. Bluetooth connection and touch pad are great for playing away from home. A matte finish, better response, and (deity of your choice willing) a better driver would be awesome. Just hope the new triggers don't squeak like the kickstarter editions.

I'd actually be really interested in a "Pro" version of the OYUA Controller, adjustable thumb sticks, tunable rumble, larger touchpad, textured back...

As for the storage bump, I plugged a spare 160GB HDD I had around into the back of my OUYA, more than enough space for all my android games, and roms. Plus I networked it into my home server for video streaming, handles slightly better than a Raspberry Pi running XBMC.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
newwiseman said:
...handles slightly better than a Raspberry Pi running XBMC.
No offense, but I'm having a difficult time believing that. We're talking about the model B, right?

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Scrythe said:
newwiseman said:
...handles slightly better than a Raspberry Pi running XBMC.
No offense, but I'm having a difficult time believing that. We're talking about the model B, right?
Ya, I'm not running xbmc on the ouya, its still a bit poor (xbmc blames a fixed 60hz hdmi handshake as the cause of stutter). I side loaded Dice Player for the ouya, no problems. If I setup transcoding on my server it would be a non-issue but I'm too lazy. It's pretty rare I stream to another room.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Today I learned that not only did people buy the Ouya, but apparently they sold enough to justify making a new model.

Go figure.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
This is all very nice, but what does every console need to succeed? GAMES! What games does this thing have? I haven't heard anything about what games are available for this thing.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Li Mu said:
This is all very nice, but what does every console need to succeed? GAMES! What games does this thing have? I haven't heard anything about what games are available for this thing.
Here you go:
https://www.ouya.tv/games/

The games are exactly what you expect from a $100 console. You won't get the next Call of Duty or Watchdogs or any kind of AAA games. OUYA isn't designed for that. It's designed for retro games and indie games. It's not a strength by any means, but I don't see that as a flaw either.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Bocaj2000 said:
Li Mu said:
Here you go:

The games are exactly what you expect from a $100 console. You won't get the next Call of Duty or Watchdogs or any kind of AAA games. OUYA isn't designed for that. It's designed for retro games and indie games. It's not a strength by any means, but I don't see that as a flaw either.

Thanks. Nothing on here that I couldn't put on my laptop, which makes me wonder what the point of the OUYA is. It clearly isn't designed for someone like me.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Li Mu said:
Bocaj2000 said:
Li Mu said:
Here you go:

Thanks. Nothing on here that I couldn't put on my laptop, which makes me wonder what the point of the OUYA is. It clearly isn't designed for someone like me.
If you're comparing to PC gaming, then there's no point to any console. The OUYA is simply a low budget machine for low budget games. With the overwhelming support for emulators, it can be used as a cheap and easy way to play games of most previous generations on your TV. Through the use of indie support, you might be able to find some gems that wouldn't be found otherwise. I, personally, also use it for local multiplayer games, something that the previous generation (X360 & PS3) greatly minimized.

It's not for everyone. If you believe that quality gaming only comes from AAA games, then the OUYA is a waste of time and money. I'm just tired of the AAA industry and the way they treat consoles. Most of my gaming is on PC anyway, so having a $100 console for local multiplayer games isn't that much of a waste.