New PC gamer I am

Jak LesStrange

Oct 15, 2010
I have recently bought a new PC and I am looking into getting a bunch of strategy games for it. Have the escapists got any suggestions for me? I already have the Dawn of war Anthology, as well as 2 and its expansions and Soulstorm.

Paladin2905

Sep 1, 2011
Are you looking for real-time or turn-based strategy?

For real-time, I suggest the classic Command & Conquer games, as well as Total Annihilation. You can also play a more modern pseudo real-time such as the Total War series.

For Turn-based, I suggest the Civilization series, classic Master of Orion II, the older Heroes of Might & Magic series, or if you're into small scale turn based like a boardgame; XCOM or its derivitives.

It really all depends on what you find interesting, I suggest trying them all and making up your mind about what you like to play. Starcraft might be the most popular, but it by no means is the best game for everybody.

Quick Ben

Oct 27, 2008
Seeing as you seem to like Relic, I'd recommend Company of Heroes, if you don't have it and have even the slightest interest in WW2.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Age of Empires 2/Age of Kings, Frozen Synapse, Heroes of Might and Magic, Age of Mythology, League of Legends, WarCraft 3/Frozen Throne, StarCraft, StarCraft 2, Civilization IV, Civilization V, Command and Conquer Red Alert 2, C&C Generals, Total War Series, Sins of a Solar Empire(Awesome game), HomeWorld, Commandos 1/2, Supreme Commander(the 2nd one is shit).

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
New or old? RTS or Turn Based?

Strategy games age well, so if you're wanting to sample a selection of the best of PC strategy over the years, then you need to try (newer, more recent titles in bold text):

X-Com: UFO Defense (possibly the finest strategy game ever made)
Jagged Alliance 2 (with 1.13 mod)
Total War: Rome, Medieval 2, Shogun 2
Civilization (Any Civ will do, 4 is probably the most comprehensive, 5 is the newest)
Heroes of Might and Magic (2 or 3 preferably, not sure how 5 or 6 are, 4 was rubbish)
King's Bounty
Starcraft 1/2
Sacrifice
Myth/Myth 2
Master of Orion 2
Rise of Nations
Homeworld

If you want a ball crushingly difficult old school hexagon based strategy game, Fantasy General or its modern day spiritual successor Elven Legacy will entertain.

If you're not afraid to get REALLY old school, Populous is still excellent, and if you're not afraid to get REALLY, REALLY old school, M.U.L.E. is one of the most influential games ever made.

adrian_exec

Apr 5, 2009
Jak LesStrange said:
I have recently bought a new PC and I am looking into getting a bunch of strategy games for it. Have the escapists got any suggestions for me? I already have the Dawn of war Anthology, as well as 2 and its expansions and Soulstorm.

First and for most, try Starcraft 2 if you are into multiplayer!

If not then I strongly recommend Heroes of Might and Magic 6, the latest game in the Heroes franchise(the game was released a week ago). I've been having a lot of fun with this game in the past few days.

Sorry If I'm not to helpful, but I like to recommend only games that I've actually played and had fun playing them.

Jak LesStrange

Oct 15, 2010
Thanks to everyone for these suggestions :D I will definitely try out some of these. I am looking mainly for RTS, but turn-based is welcome. I'm also looking for some more obscure strategy PC games, like the Tone Rebellion

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
Jak LesStrange said:
I'm also looking for some more obscure strategy PC games, like the Tone Rebellion
If you want old-school - take a look at Ground Control, expansion and sequel. Still good after all these years. A little off-beat for RTS - take a look at Gratuitous Space Battles where it's all in the design and planning and very pretty to watch (not for people who like staying in control).

xscoot

Sep 8, 2009
Jak LesStrange said:
Thanks to everyone for these suggestions :D I will definitely try out some of these. I am looking mainly for RTS, but turn-based is welcome. I'm also looking for some more obscure strategy PC games, like the Tone Rebellion
Well, check out GoG. They have some great strategy games, like Ground Control, Dark Reign, Jagged Alliance 2, and Gorky 13. All of them are great. Swat 1 and 2 are ok, but they are bundled together.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Jak LesStrange said:
Thanks to everyone for these suggestions :D I will definitely try out some of these.
And if you do, please remember, that some games aren't just vanilla products + DLCs, but are ready to serve you in ways not evisioned by their authors. :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=171398

bastardman25

Sep 27, 2011
you should badly try warzone 2100, it's free to download.
graphically it might be stuck in the late 90's
but its been kicking my arse all summer, i cant stop playing it.
for gods sake finish the campaign before you try skirmish or MP, or you experience a whole new level of defeat

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
More obscure stuff:
Netstorm (an rts with buildings instead of units - better than it sounds)
Conquest: frontier wars (main conceit being multiple maps at once)
D&D: Dragonshard (RPG plus RTS works surprisingly well)
Celtic Kings/Imperivm 1, 2 (Big battles and supply chains - cut off your enemy's food supply for an easy victory)

MeatsOfEvil

Dec 4, 2009
If you don't use steam, start.
If you use steam, just check the sales every day. I see RTS games on sale all the time. My friend picked up Civ 5 for $12.50 in one of those sales.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Age of Empires 1 or 2(with or without expansions) are always great classic choices
Age of Mythology is awesome
StarCraft I or II, especially if you enjoy multiplayer
Disciples II(any edition) is a good turn-based strategy, if you're into that
Heroes of Might and Magic 2 or 3, a slightly different turn-based strategy
Battlezone 1 or 2, if you manage to get a copy, let alone run it, is an awesome mix between RTS and FPS

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I am on a Total War: Shogun 2 fix right now. I just can't get enough of that game, especially with the newest Darthmod 2.9.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
Total war. Just any total war, they're all good.

Civ 5 is good too.

For something less mainstream, check out AI War. It's a kind of RTS(not RTT as most "RTS" games Actually are)-Grand Stratedy-4x Space Epic. Want A fleet of ten thousand ships across 80 Simultaneous battlefields, with all kinds of neat things along the way, against a really good, devious AI? The check it out.

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
The obvious ones - Command and Conquer series, Age of Empires series.

The less obvious ones? The Cossacks series (truely brilliant), Stronghold, Blitzkrieg.