New Pokemon Anime Is Set In The First Generation

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
New Pokemon Anime Is Set In The First Generation

Pokemon: The Origin kicks it old school, and takes us back to the days when there were only 151 Pokemon.

If I were to scream out "I want to be, the very best," how many of you would reply "like no-one ever was"? The original Pokemon anime and videogames, back when mobile phones played snake, people wore their hats backwards, and there were only 150 (151 including Mew) of the creatures to collect is burned into the minds of many of our childhoods.

The Pokemon Company is taking advantage of that nostalgia by producing a brand new Pokemon anime, set during the first generation of Pokemon games (Red and Blue), and starring a new protagonist that's more like the videogame's Red than the anime's Ash Ketchum. It's called Pokemon: The Origin and it looks awesome.

The first official trailer for Pokemon: The Origin opens with tribute to the original Gameboy games, showing us the classic Nidorino vs. Gengar intro, complete with iconic soundtrack. It then shows us our new main character, who has chosen Charmander as his starting Pokemon. We're also greeted by some familiar faces, such as Professor Oak, Brock, and Blue/Rival (Gary Oaks' videogame counterpart), who, as he does in the videogames, has chosen the protagonists' starter Pokemon's natural counter: Squirtle.

The new anime will take place in the Kanto region of Pokemon Red and Blue (which was known as Pokemon Green in Japan).

Pokemon: The Origin will air in Japan on October 2nd on TV Tokyo at 7 pm, as a TV special. It's not known whether it will remain as a one-off special, or continue to be a full series. No US release date was given, but given the popularity of Pokemon, a future Western release is a given.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lyi2RSVxqg]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Hope it isn't a one-shot, since this looks like it will have a hero who isn't dull as dish-water Ash (hell, dishwater has more personality)

Rossco64 said:
No Bulbasaur = Fail.
That is a funny way of saying Charmander is the best starter.
That's a funny way of saying Squirtle mate.

You feeling okay?

Or is that just the Irish name for Squirtle?

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
Did you know Ash is one of the worst protagonists of all time? Red is a true boss and this is going to be awesome.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Notsomuch said:
Did you know Ash is one of the worst protagonists of all time? Red is a true boss and this is going to be awesome.
That's the manga. From the looks of things, it seems to slant more towards the anime side than the manga one. Fine with me though, it looks to be more interesting than Ash the pokemon anime...

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
This anime does seem to have an ending. Bulbapedia however made it sound like a one time anime special.

I actually do hope that this becomes an OVA type of deal.

I also hope- if popular enough- it extends to the other games as well.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Squirtle must be the japanese name for Bulbasaur. It's going after the japanese logic after all. They are basing it on Red, so Green(Blue in the US) should pick the titular Squirtle(Bulbasaur.)

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
What's this argument about? Charmander is neutral against the first gym and at a disadvantage in the second, making him the most difficult starter of all three. Only the strongest trainers take that challenge.

somonels said:
Green(Blue in the US)
Not quite. They changed it significantly to make Blue version (mostly in wild Pokémon locations), and in fact, Blue was later brought back to Japan.

P.S. Thanks

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Rossco64 said:
Damn I wish he picked Bulbasaur. No Bulbasaur = Fail.
But he is Red! How could he not pick charmander?
Red picked Bulbasaur in the Manga.

Adam Johns said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Rossco64 said:
No Bulbasaur = Fail.
That is a funny way of saying Charmander is the best starter.
I agree, Squirtle is the best starter.
Riddle me this. What Pokemon is number one? WHO is number one!?

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
TV special or not, I need this *drools*.

Covarr said:
What's this argument about? Charmander is neutral against the first gym and at a disadvantage in the second, making him the most difficult starter of all three. Only the strongest trainers take that challenge.
What? Fire is weak against rock, not neutral. Brock has Geodudes and an Onix (both I believe are rock/ground) and a rock throw can easily put down Charmander. So against Brock, Charmander is at a disadvantage (especially since Charmander's other attacks at the time would be normal type, which is also resisted by rock). Giovanni (the last one) is the ground type gym leader, and when rock hits ground it's neutral but not the other way around.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Rossco64 said:
METAPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Topic:

Seems interesting, might even have a look :D

And actually having one of the three original starters etc. Hope this guy goes on and catches more than just 8 pokemon.

I actually laughed out loud at the charmander - geodude battle, looked like charmander gave the rock a ***** slap and after that got headbutted back xD

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Rossco64 said:
Rhydon

SkarKrow said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Man I love apple pie
I so agree Tizzy! Golly , you sure are bland and inoffensive.

Thank you for making me look so great!!
No worries, I am always here to help buddy.
I know you are, that's why we're such good friends.

Although this has probably gotten out of hand.