New Pope Elected: Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina becomes Pope Francis!

ZorroFonzarelli

Jan 5, 2009
I'm not a Catholic, but I am a Christian. I look forward to seeing where he takes the Church, given the highly unfriendly atmosphere the world now has towards it.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I expected more insults and slams on Catholics/religion in this thread. Congratulations are being better then I thought you were Escapist!

OT: Oh, I can wear my Jesuits shirt now. Awesome. (Yes I have a Jesuits T-shirt). I hope he does something a bit more interesting then our last pope.

tseroff

Jun 8, 2009
I was really hoping we could have a young pope. Not something ridiculous, but maybe a guy in his mid-fifties. Pope Francis is 76; he's not really going to have time to do anything major, especially with the current state of the Vatican. John Paul II started when he was 58 and had close to thirty years, in which he accomplished a lot. This guy will have twenty years if they found the Fountain of Youth somewhere in the Vatican storehouses, but it's probably closer to ten. We need someone who can shake things up, maybe rejuvenate the system a little bit, and I'm not very hopeful that it will happen with this pope. I do look forward to seeing what he's going to do, though. What a pope can do in ten years is more than most people can do in their lifetime, if he gets on it.

____

Also, I know it's tradition to pick a name that isn't your given name, but seeing as he picked a new one anyways... wouldn't it have been cool to have a Pope Jorge?

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
tseroff said:
I was really hoping we could have a young pope. Not something ridiculous, but maybe a guy in his mid-fifties. Pope Francis is 76; he's not really going to have time to do anything major, especially with the current state of the Vatican. John Paul II started when he was 58 and had close to thirty years, in which he accomplished a lot. This guy will have twenty years if they found the Fountain of Youth somewhere in the Vatican storehouses, but it's probably closer to ten. We need someone who can shake things up, maybe rejuvenate the system a little bit, and I'm not very hopeful that it will happen with this pope. I do look forward to seeing what he's going to do, though. What a pope can do in ten years is more than most people can do in their lifetime, if he gets on it.

____

Also, I know it's tradition to pick a name that isn't your given name, but seeing as he picked a new one anyways... wouldn't it have been cool to have a Pope Jorge?
Plus, this geuy has some hostile views on homosexuality, which is depressing.

Imagine if we had a younger man who had the positive traits of someone like Desmond Tutu. It would be pretty sweet.

Also, Jorge would be an awesome name.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
YEAH to the perpetuation of outmoded, bronze-age philosophies. I would hardly rate this as one of the most "memorable events of 2013."

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Kaulen Fuhs said:
He doesn't LOOK like a Dark Lord of the Sith... so that's a thing, I suppose.
Neither did Palpatine in The Phantom Menace. We'll need to keep a sharp watch on him just in case...

Twilight_guy said:
I expected more insults and slams on Catholics/religion in this thread. Congratulations are being better then I thought you were Escapist!

OT: Oh, I can wear my Jesuits shirt now. Awesome. (Yes I have a Jesuits T-shirt). I hope he does something a bit more interesting then our last pope.
That's because most of the slamming and hating is going on in R&P in this thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.403371-WHITE-SMOKE-THERE-IS-A-NEW-POPE-POPE-FRANCIS-I]. That's usually how these things work which is why, I think, the Mods don't object (usually) to having threads addressing the same topic here and there--at least initially.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
As one of the four or five Argentines that roam Escapist I can vouch for Jorge being as homophobic and backward as it gets. He also has a history with the Dictatorship of '76, but don't ask him about it, he gets embarrassed on the subject.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Ugh. This guy opposed our gay marriage and pro-abortion laws, so I have no sympathy for him.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay one of the most important tools of oppression got a new hierarch. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

My excitement is boundless.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
AnarchistFish said:
SckizoBoy said:
AnarchistFish said:
oh come on Argentine is basically Italian
Nah, not Italian... Spanish, however, sure!
Argentine are Italians who speak Spanish ;)
No we're not ;)

Andy Shandy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Argentinian?

Cheated using the Hand of God I bet.
I wonder how many people are going to get an admittedly rather famous sports reference on here.
I did but being Argentine helps.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
Ummmmm, yay? Seriously why is this important? Is this actually exciting to some people here? I feel like I'm in a presidential election thread talking about the new president. Whats he gonna accomplish that other Popes haven't? What could a Pope accomplish that's actually important? He's just gonna further religious agendas like every other dude in the Church. Let me know when a black pope gets elected, that story will probably be slightly more interesting. And I would want to hear such a story before it loses its novelty like when we finally got over a black man being president of the USA.

SidheKnight

Nov 28, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
As one of the four or five Argentines that roam Escapist I can vouch for Jorge being as homophobic and backward as it gets. He also has a history with the Dictatorship of '76, but don't ask him about it, he gets embarrassed on the subject.
This ^

Being Argentinian too, I remember how Bergoglio opposed gay marriage in this country and helped the military dictatorship further their agenda (though that could be said for the entire Catholic church, not just this guy).

So don't expect anything to change. He's just another homophobic, anti-choice conservative, just like his entire religion.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Copper Zen said:
Twilight_guy said:

That's because most of the slamming and hating is going on in R&P in this thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.403371-WHITE-SMOKE-THERE-IS-A-NEW-POPE-POPE-FRANCIS-I]. That's usually how these things work which is why, I think, the Mods don't object (usually) to having threads addressing the same topic here and there--at least initially.
Well at least it's only up to two pages. I expected about 5 pages of hate. Oh well it doesn't really matter how much the peoples of the Escapist slam the church, turn the other cheek and all.

CAMDAWG

Jul 27, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Argentinian?

Cheated using the Hand of God I bet.
I wonder how many people are going to get an admittedly rather famous sports reference on here.
Two so far.

Oh dear lord, I can't unsee it. In fact, I'm just imagining it now...

"Oh, I'm afraid that prayer to save your child didn't work Sister Mary. Now let's have a look at what you could've won"

And then they bring out a speedboat.

In fact, not only that he is definitely George Bluth Sr from Arrested Development.

What with the recent scandal and all, he might have to be very wary of the No Touching rule.
That absolutely made my day. Fucking brilliant.

SidheKnight said:
This ^

Being Argentinian too, I remember how Bergoglio opposed gay marriage in this country and helped the military dictatorship further their agenda (though that could be said for the entire Catholic church, not just this guy).

So don't expect anything to change. He's just another homophobic, anti-choice conservative, just like his entire religion.
I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything different. A huge institution full of bigots isn't going to elect someone with different views. I highly doubt anyone could even get anywhere near the level of a cardinal without being vehemently opposed to homosexuality.

His wiki article says he was opposed to the distribution of contraceptives in Argentina as well, but the source may not be reliable. As an Argentine, do you know if is that correct?

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:

"I hate pope duties..."

(Admit it, this joke was inevitable)
I laughed so hard at this, and I can't believe that I didn't think about it.

Total LOLige said:
Why do they change their name? They should have just named him Keith.
Maybe this will lend some insight:

Poindexter said:
I'm sure there is a joke in here about thesong,"Don't cry for me Argentina."
I saw Chris Prestly make such a remark on Twitter.

OT: That was fast. And from what I was able to find out about the guy, it seems that while he doesn't really mind homosexuals being homosexuals, he's against gay marriage and gays adopting, which is weird. Otherwise, seems like an OK dude.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
soren7550 said:
...OT: That was fast. And from what I was able to find out about the guy, it seems that while he doesn't really mind homosexuals being homosexuals, he's against gay marriage and gays adopting, which is weird. Otherwise, seems like an OK dude.
Aside from the whole, turning a blind eye towards innocent civilians being murdered in Argentina during the Dirty War...so yeah, seems like an ok dude...

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
mokes310 said:
soren7550 said:
...OT: That was fast. And from what I was able to find out about the guy, it seems that while he doesn't really mind homosexuals being homosexuals, he's against gay marriage and gays adopting, which is weird. Otherwise, seems like an OK dude.
Aside from the whole, turning a blind eye towards innocent civilians being murdered in Argentina during the Dirty War...so yeah, seems like an ok dude...
Probably should have mentioned I only skimmed a small bit about him.

I feel like a right jerk now. *sits in the sad corner*

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
So i apply for a job and this is how they tell me? I see a news report that they gave it to the other guy!

At least its better than a jester with an invisible proclamation.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Wadders said:
OT: So, he's an Argie is he? Well as long as he stays away from the tiresome issue of the Falklands then I suppose thats fair enough. But then it doesnt take much to beat his ex-Hitlerjugend predecessor...
Well.. The word is that he knew about the horrors the military Junta inflicted in 1976-83, without commenting or condemning it.