New Prince of Persia Movie is "Kind of" Like Shakespeare

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
2,654
0
0
RJ Dalton said:
Yeah, bullshit. If there's one thing I know, it's Shakespeare: it's one of the major focuses of my English degree. These people wouldn't understand what makes Shakespeare great if the pieces came up and bit them on the ass. One by one.
Bruckheimer especially has no right to talk about it.
You do realize how high and might you sound when you say that don't you?

You don't need an English degree to realize Bruckheimer is not Shakespeare. All you need is half of a brain and to have read even a stanza of Shakespeare's.
 

Cody211282

New member
Apr 25, 2009
2,892
0
0
If by kind of like Shakespeare he means, pretty much over hyped crap then yes I agree with him.

As for breaking the bad videogame movie cycle, I doubt it will.
 

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
2,266
0
0
Yeah, a lot of movies are kind of like Shakespeare - literally every "romantic" movie made in the last 3 or 4 decades is "kind of" like Romeo & Juliet - that doesn't mean it's going to be good.
 

revjay

Everybody's dead, Dave.
Nov 19, 2007
510
0
0
I can kind of see it. Remember when Hamlet ran up that wall and killed that dude with his dagger of time? Yeah me either.
 

JEBWrench

New member
Apr 23, 2009
2,572
0
0
ImprovizoR said:
Shakespeare is so overrated. I'm dead serious. Sure it's good reading if you're into that sort of thing, but it's nothing spectacular. I'll take 19 century Russian writers (Dostoevsky anyone?) any time. Now making a movie/game with narrative of that quality would tickle my fancy. This only makes me wonder how bad it will actually be.
*raises hand*
Dostoevsky representin'.

I don't think a video game or video game movie with a comparable narrative (stylistically, not necessary quality, as quality is subjective anyways) wouldn't quite fit well. It'd be like wearing a tweed dinner jacket to a dinner party. Sure, it's a dinner jacket, but, seriously? Tweed.
 
Dec 16, 2009
1,774
0
0
I can't believe the new PoP game is getting no forum time, I wanna create a thread, but i don't have the writing umph to create a good one
 

RJ Dalton

New member
Aug 13, 2009
2,285
0
0
BlindMessiah94 said:
You do realize how high and might you sound when you say that don't you?

You don't need an English degree to realize Bruckheimer is not Shakespeare. All you need is half of a brain and to have read even a stanza of Shakespeare's.
The eternal dilemma. If I just make a statement without anything to back it up, anybody who happens to disagree with me gets on my case for daring to criticize whoever they happen to be liking at the time, but when I make a point of showing that I've got some kind of expertise in the matter that gives me room to talk, I'm suddenly criticized for being arrogant.
Is there some kind of social standard that I'm failing to grasp here?
 

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
2,654
0
0
RJ Dalton said:
BlindMessiah94 said:
You do realize how high and might you sound when you say that don't you?

You don't need an English degree to realize Bruckheimer is not Shakespeare. All you need is half of a brain and to have read even a stanza of Shakespeare's.
The eternal dilemma. If I just make a statement without anything to back it up, anybody who happens to disagree with me gets on my case for daring to criticize whoever they happen to be liking at the time, but when I make a point of showing that I've got some kind of expertise in the matter that gives me room to talk, I'm suddenly criticized for being arrogant.
Is there some kind of social standard that I'm failing to grasp here?
You could give examples of why instead of just saying "I have a degree".
Explain and analyze Shakespeare's storytelling method, for example, compared to Bruckheimer's.
That way you don't have to worry about coming across as arrogant, but you are still giving reasons for your statement.
For example, once someone had a post on these forums about fixing some microphone issues. I could have said "I have a audio engineering degree, so do this and that", or, as I did, I can simply explain to him how to fix the problem with reasons and examples. In any essense I'm not really taken aback by your point because I agree with you, I just wanted to point it out :D
 

IrrelevantTangent

New member
Oct 4, 2008
2,424
0
0
TheAmazingTGIF said:
As for the "bad videogame movies" thing, I though Silent Hill wasn't bad, not great, but not bad.
And to Bruckheimer: YOU ARE NOT [email protected]!4-93275ew tgs. Sorry about that, I get a little worked up about Shakespeare.
Agreed. Yes, they did amalgamate practically three games' worth of plot into one movie, but they managed to keep the Narm [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Narm] to a minimum and the movie ended up being very tense and genuinely scary at times.

As for the OT, I somehow doubt a videogame movie really has what it takes to be Shakespeare-level unless it's based on something like, say, Deus Ex or maybe even that upcoming Bioshock movie. This, hopefully, will be a decent action movie, and if not, it's not as if the status quo's changed for the worse.
 

RJ Dalton

New member
Aug 13, 2009
2,285
0
0
BlindMessiah94 said:
You could give examples of why instead of just saying "I have a degree".
Explain and analyze Shakespeare's storytelling method, for example, compared to Bruckheimer's.
That way you don't have to worry about coming across as arrogant, but you are still giving reasons for your statement.
For example, once someone had a post on these forums about fixing some microphone issues. I could have said "I have a audio engineering degree, so do this and that", or, as I did, I can simply explain to him how to fix the problem with reasons and examples. In any essense I'm not really taken aback by your point because I agree with you, I just wanted to point it out :D
Yeah, I figured. I suppose I didn't really have mentioned it. I really didn't want to go into a detailed analysis because that would have taken a lot more effort and I really didn't care to do so. Producer's just aren't worth it. In the grand scheme of things, a producer serves no part in the creative process. He's a bag of cash and a marketer. A good producer might have something good to add, but most of them are just leeches feeding on the work of others. All talk and no substance.
 

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
2,654
0
0
RJ Dalton said:
BlindMessiah94 said:
You could give examples of why instead of just saying "I have a degree".
Explain and analyze Shakespeare's storytelling method, for example, compared to Bruckheimer's.
That way you don't have to worry about coming across as arrogant, but you are still giving reasons for your statement.
For example, once someone had a post on these forums about fixing some microphone issues. I could have said "I have a audio engineering degree, so do this and that", or, as I did, I can simply explain to him how to fix the problem with reasons and examples. In any essense I'm not really taken aback by your point because I agree with you, I just wanted to point it out :D
Yeah, I figured. I suppose I didn't really have mentioned it. I really didn't want to go into a detailed analysis because that would have taken a lot more effort and I really didn't care to do so. Producer's just aren't worth it. In the grand scheme of things, a producer serves no part in the creative process. He's a bag of cash and a marketer. A good producer might have something good to add, but most of them are just leeches feeding on the work of others. All talk and no substance.
Heh, fair enough. Like I said I agree with you. I'm a Shakespeare fanboy anyhow :D
 

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
1,030
0
0
i get the feeling this guy is just a pretentious twat, but i'll see it in the movies if it gets good reviews, pirate it if it doesn't.

don't judge me.
 

RJ Dalton

New member
Aug 13, 2009
2,285
0
0
BlindMessiah94 said:
Heh, fair enough. Like I said I agree with you. I'm a Shakespeare fanboy anyhow :D
I'm hesitant to call myself a fanboy of anything, because then your preferences are based on who created it, rather than the quality of the product. Still, I do enjoy Shakespeare. My favorite would be Midsummer Night's Dream.
 

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
2,654
0
0
RJ Dalton said:
BlindMessiah94 said:
Heh, fair enough. Like I said I agree with you. I'm a Shakespeare fanboy anyhow :D
I'm hesitant to call myself a fanboy of anything, because then your preferences are based on who created it, rather than the quality of the product. Still, I do enjoy Shakespeare. My favorite would be Midsummer Night's Dream.
That's my favourite too. As fanboyish as I am I have never been able to like Hamlet. I found it to be entirely drole.
 

RJ Dalton

New member
Aug 13, 2009
2,285
0
0
BlindMessiah94 said:
That's my favourite too. As fanboyish as I am I have never been able to like Hamlet. I found it to be entirely drole.
I think it depends on how it's performed. If done right, it could be interesting; it's an impressively psychological play and you'd have to get people who can get that across. I've never seen a troupe of actors that did though.
Now, I've never been able to get through Julius Ceasar.
 

Callate

New member
Dec 5, 2008
5,118
0
0
Right, how hard could it really be? I mean, you just have to look at all the other really awesome movies based on videogames to know that it's a breeze, right?
In fairness, most of the games that past video game movies have been based upon have had little to no real narrative or characterization of their own; they were chosen more on the basis of brand familiarity than adaptability.

(I mean, seriously. Mario Bros.? I like the guy as much as any gamer, but his is not exactly a story for the ages.)

Many of the games that have made it to the screen, when it all comes down to it, are just about winning. Defeat the bad guys, save the princess. Defeat the challengers, win the tournament. And while that makes for a great twitch game, it's shallow as all hell as far as storylines go.

PoP- at least the Sands trilogy- has a little more to it. It has something resembling a character arc, and some over-all themes about the cost of one's decisions and correcting mistakes.

Okay, yes, it's not Shakespeare, no matter what hyperbole those associated with the film might spout. But I do believe it could conceivably be an entertaining picture.