New Research Could Turn Urine into Rocket Fuel

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
New Research Could Turn Urine into Rocket Fuel

If you run out of gas on your way to Mars, the simple solution could be tossing back a few beers and letting nature take its course.

Back in the 90's, scientists discovered a startling kind of bacteria called anammox (anaerobic ammonium oxidation) that devours ammonium, the chemical in urine that gives it its particular pungency, and spits out hydrazine, a propellant used in many space vehicles.

Obviously, this caused quite a stir. These bacteria could potentially take human waste, useless aboard a spacecraft, and convert it to fuel. Unfortunately, it was quickly revealed that the bacteria were nowhere near efficient enough at the conversion to produce any sort of usable or useful quantity of fuel, and the furor died down.

Now, scientists at Radboud University Nijmegen in the Netherlands have announced that they have isolated and identified the particular protein complex that allows these anammox bacteria to do their stuff, and this new knowledge could allow researchers to make a better and more efficient version of the bacteria.

Professor of microbiology at the university's Institute for Water and Wetland Research, Mike Jetten, has stated that the amount of hydrazine produced by the bacteria is "nothing like enough to get a rocket to Mars," but that the new research could change that. "Now we are accurately determining the crystal structure of the protein complex," he said, "Perhaps we can improve the production process if we have a better understanding of how the protein complex fits together."

So maybe we won't be flying urine-fueled spaceships anytime soon, but who knows? The future could be filled with trips to Mars and beyond, all powered by something we've been casually flushing away for millenia.

And if future astronauts eat too much asparagus, it could be a strange-smelling future indeed.

Source: Physorg.com [http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-10-pee-power-urine-loving-bug-churns.html]

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
Verily, I do declare you ruined my jarate joke immediately!
But, yeah, its amazing what science can turn up!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Effeciant? I do believe you meant efficient.

FogHornG36 said:
But... then what is Bear Grylls guna drink?
Well, unless he's in a space shuttle, he'll probably be allowed to keep drinking his favorite beverage.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
"If you run out of gas on your way to Mars, the simple solution could be tossing back a few beers and letting nature take its course."

Or simply replace thouse bear with fuel.... you probably way less full from thouse bear that you would gat from the same volume of full... just a guess lol

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Effeciant? I do believe you meant efficient.

FogHornG36 said:
But... then what is Bear Grylls guna drink?
Well, unless he's in a space shuttle, he'll probably be allowed to keep drinking his favorite beverage.
That I did. Good catch. Edited to fix my derpishness.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hmmm, never mind going to Mars, what about just an improvement in waste water management? That's no small area in of itself.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Space ships run on vast amounts of fuel, as in hundreds of tons. How much beer are you planning on bringing along exactly?

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
ehh, hydrazine isn't used much as a mainline fuel anymore. too volatile. mostly it's used in maneuvering jets now.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Hmmm, never mind going to Mars, what about just an improvement in waste water management? That's no small area in of itself.
Well, because hydrazine is both explosive and extremely toxic...thus not much of an improvement if all you're trying to do is sanitize wastewater...

Hydrazine does have other industrial applications, mainly in the production of certain plastics. That's where I'd expect a process like this to be most applicable.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
aashell13 said:
thaluikhain said:
Well, because hydrazine is both explosive and extremely toxic...thus not much of an improvement if all you're trying to do is sanitize wastewater...
Well, yeah, but wastewater is only waste because nobody wants it. Turn it into something people might want for something, it's not pollution, it's a resource.