New Royal Research Ship Could Be Named Boaty McBoatface

Kurow

Jul 14, 2010
As incredible as Boaty McBoatface is, I can't help but feel this is a missed opportunity for the RRS Miskatonic, RRS William Dyer, or the RRS Starkweather-Moore.

CrimsonBlack

Mar 10, 2011
I am slightly annoyed. It's a ship, and shouldn't be Boaty McBoatface, but Shippy McShipface.

Try saying that fast.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
They should have gone with Qwib-Qwib if you ask me.
HEEEEEE!!! [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HyFMwTa5yE]
I have been giggling non-stop for about three minutes, maybe I should go to bed now.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Clearly it should be "RRS Shamus Boaty NotTheTitanic McShipley Worthington Stout the twelfth"...
Really obvious when you think about it.

On the hull they would paint it's nickname "TL;DNR"!

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Meiam said:
There's pretty much no reason not to go with it, the ship will be way more famous and this might actual result in good publicity and maybe even donation. Just look at horse race where people will bet on terrible horse just cause they have cute name.
The sort of person who's honestly entertained by "Boaty McBoatface" probably doesn't have the attention span necessary to do any of that before they get distracted by the newest cat picture.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Dominic Crossman said:
Reminds me of face mcshooty from borderlands 2
Anyway, I agree with general consensus of it being good publicity if they actually go through with it.
BOATY BOAT BOAT BOAT, HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!

OT: I would go with the flow of internet humor towards this, too - it harms no one, in this particular case. However, the jaded me is saying it should've been named the RRS The Internet Tried Something, or the RRS T.I.T.S. for short.

[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]I REGRET NOTHING![/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

Synigma

Dec 24, 2014
Okay, now consider this: When they inevitably remake The Day After Tomorrow, or make some other end of the world weather movie, there will be that scene where they tell the president of the united states about the danger:

"Mr. President, the situation is dire; Global Warming is reaching critical mass and Boaty McBoatface estimates that billions will die!"

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
John Keefer said:
llamastorm.games said:
John Keefer said:
...RRS Usain Bolt...
The suggestion was actually "RRS Usain Boat" not Bolt which is massively funnier
I checked several sites and only "Bolt" appears, not Boat. And the "name our ship" site is still down. Do you have a link where you saw it as Boat?
https://twitter.com/jackjmatthews/status/710869330016206849

first reply down, other choices such as RSS Pingu and RSS Ice Ice Baby

not shown: RSS Icefucker

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
weirdee said:
John Keefer said:
llamastorm.games said:
John Keefer said:
...RRS Usain Bolt...
The suggestion was actually "RRS Usain Boat" not Bolt which is massively funnier
I checked several sites and only "Bolt" appears, not Boat. And the "name our ship" site is still down. Do you have a link where you saw it as Boat?
https://twitter.com/jackjmatthews/status/710869330016206849

first reply down, other choices such as RSS Pingu and RSS Ice Ice Baby

not shown: RSS Icefucker
Thanks. Will adjust.