New Silent Hill Worst One Yet?

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
A new Silent Hill is in the works and the trailer was just uploaded to Machinima. It's called Silent Hill Book of Memories.

I'm actually in shock to be honest. It's like they took every bad idea for a horror game and mixed it into a blender. It has multiplayer, an emphasis on combat, is on the Playstation Vista, features Pyramid Head for no reason (yet again), and seems to play more like DOTA. I honestly could not imagine a more worse direction they could have taken with this series, and after Downpour was a step in the right direction, this happening is just perplexing.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Silent Hill is going to continue to be shitty until someone starts developing it without a modern Western idea of horror. Now I realize much of Silent Hill is inspired by select works of modern western horror, but the Japanese are WAY better at the psychological horror thing, whereas your average American horror fans just likes the blood and guts of the equation. The Japanese like that too, but they give it substance. Now I'm not saying the series has to be made by an eastern or Japanese developer, but it has to be made with that aesthetic in mind.

This . . . this goes against everything Silent Hill ever stood for.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Who cares anymore?

Does anyone out there really expect this franchise to actually get good again?

I mean, really?

neversleep

Dec 4, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Who cares anymore?

I mean, really?
I still have to play downpour. I have hope

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
neversleep said:
Casual Shinji said:
Who cares anymore?

I mean, really?
Save yourself the money and just watch the Two Best Friends LP of it on Youtube. It's not as awful as Homecoming, but it's clear Silent Hill should just be put to rest.

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
Ok that looks pretty damn lame. Say what you will about Downpour's story or gameplay, but at least it tried to stay true to the Silent Hill formula. This game... this game is not Silent Hill. Silent Hill isn't about stomping around with your buddies and gunning down hordes of monsters.

Silent Hill has to me been about exploring the dreary and downright horrifying locales and discovering the disturbing secrets they contain. Its about the characters reacting to Silent Hill and its horrors and seeing how they turn out in the end. Granted I have only played SH1 and Downpour but I'm pretty damn sure that this is not what Silent Hill is supposed to be.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Who cares anymore?

I mean, really?
For starters, I'm not a Silent Hill fanboy, so don't misinterpret this as a fanboy rant.

Now, there are those gamers who have played the every single title of the Silent Hill series in its original releases and have been excited about the thrill that comes from being psychologically terrorized by an interactive medium. To this day, they continue to remain loyal to the franchise because they believe that there will be a new title release that will make the waiting and wading through one unappealing, disappointing, and generally not scary game after another worth it.

The same can be applied to the Sonic series (which I am a big fan of). I knew what it was like to grow up with the classic franchise, how fun it was to zip through levels on my Genesis console, and how disappointed I was at some of the future gen installments that have soiled the great hedgehog's reputation by bearing its name and any resemblance to him.

But we fans still had hope that the series was far from done. We knew that it was up to the Soinc Team to either pass the IP to someone that could make the blue blur great again, or for Sonic Team to get their s*** together, remember what made Sonic so great and fun, and build upon those concepts to produce a great and entertaining title.

Year later, Sonic fans were blessed with Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, and more recently, Sonic 4: Episode 2. This is evidence that the developers cared about lifting the hedgehog back to greatness because the fans still cared for the franchise that many were just waiting to put six feet under.

So I have faith that the Silent Hill franchise will be what the fans remember it to be someday, and so long as the developers know that the fans are still there to encourage better titles, they will do what is necessary to put the "horror" back into the "horror survival" aspect of Silent Hill.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Y'know, I was about to defend downpour. Then I remembered this abomination is actually the newest game.

Yeah, I'm just gonna say I don't like it, and this is exactly why:

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
baddude1337 said:
neversleep said:
Casual Shinji said:
Who cares anymore?

I mean, really?
Save yourself the money and just watch the Two Best Friends LP of it on Youtube. It's not as awful as Homecoming, but it's clear Silent Hill should just be put to rest.
No, please don't watch that let's play, it's awful. Those guys didn't even give the game a chance, you can tell they went into it wanting to hate it. They took the most minimal thing and nit-picked it to hell. That let's play was infuriating to say the least.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
CrimsonBlaze said:
Casual Shinji said:
Who cares anymore?

I mean, really?
For starters, I'm not a Silent Hill fanboy, so don't misinterpret this as a fanboy rant.

Now, there are those gamers who have played the every single title of the Silent Hill series in its original releases and have been excited about the thrill that comes from being psychologically terrorized by an interactive medium. To this day, they continue to remain loyal to the franchise because they believe that there will be a new title release that will make the waiting and wading through one unappealing, disappointing, and generally not scary game after another worth it.

The same can be applied to the Sonic series (which I am a big fan of). I knew what it was like to grow up with the classic franchise, how fun it was to zip through levels on my Genesis console, and how disappointed I was at some of the future gen installments that have soiled the great hedgehog's reputation by bearing its name and any resemblance to him.

But we fans still had hope that the series was far from done. We knew that it was up to the Soinc Team to either pass the IP to someone that could make the blue blur great again, or for Sonic Team to get their s*** together, remember what made Sonic so great and fun, and build upon those concepts to produce a great and entertaining title.

Year later, Sonic fans were blessed with Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, and more recently, Sonic 4: Episode 2. This is evidence that the developers cared about lifting the hedgehog back to greatness because the fans still cared for the franchise that many were just waiting to put six feet under.

So I have faith that the Silent Hill franchise will be what the fans remember it to be someday, and so long as the developers know that the fans are still there to encourage better titles, they will do what is necessary to put the "horror" back into the "horror survival" aspect of Silent Hill.
I had like the biggest fucking crush on Silent Hill 1 and 2, you have no idea. But after SH4 it was clear the well was pretty much tapped out, and even the original team was done with it.

Now this franchise is no more than a corpse that Konami is parading around á la Weekend at Bernies, and nothing, not even the Allmighty himself can bring it back to life. This franchise needs to be burned to ashes and scattered to the winds.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Mr Somewhere said:
baddude1337 said:
neversleep said:
Casual Shinji said:
Who cares anymore?

I mean, really?
No, please don't watch that let's play, it's awful. Those guys didn't even give the game a chance, you can tell they went into it wanting to hate it. They took the most minimal thing and nit-picked it to hell. That let's play was infuriating to say the least.
Well, it's a matter of opinion really. I think they make some good points, like how the big secret shouldn't change in a Silent Hill game depending on your actions as it makes a lot of the subtle imagery kind of redundant. You should alter what happens after the big reveal, as in the actual ending.

And I think Pat did kind of like it as he is a big Silent Hill fan, just let down as it nowhere near as good as the originals. (They mostly nitpicked on the bad combat and general lack of polish anyway, which seems pretty evident to be honest).

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
CrimsonBlaze said:
Casual Shinji said:
Who cares anymore?

I mean, really?

I had like the biggest fucking crush on Silent Hill 1 and 2, you have no idea. But after SH4 it was clear the well was pretty much tapped out, and even the original team was done with it.

Now this franchise is no more than a corpse that Konami is parading around á la Weekend at Bernies, and nothing, not even the Allmighty himself can bring it back to life. This franchise needs to be burned to ashes and scattered to the winds.
On a side note, "burned ashes being scattered to the winds" is kind of how the series got it's claim to fame.

Anyway, if that is the case, then I would say to stop supporting the new titles by not purchasing them. If enough people choose to show their displease in the new content that is being release, then they could make a big enough dent in their sales to decide to not release another installment until they can wipe the chalkboard clean and start from scratch once again .

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
I don't own a Vita (yet), so I will probably will not be playing it.

But for release, they already released the songs of the game and in that department it kicks ass and the plot sounds interessing, so I wouldn't go calling the "shit" card on this game just yet.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
That game looks like it might have been fun if they hadn't made it Silent Hill. Atmosphere looks all wrong for SH, and making it multi-player ruins the sense of isolation that the games are supposed to have.

ChaosStep

Dec 28, 2007
This was supposed to be out on the same day as HD collection and Downpour, after pushing it back several times I thought that was a precursor to being cancelled due to the negative feedback it's been getting. Apparently not.

There's no real need for this game to exist besides complete lack of creative ideas. The Silent Hill name gets pummeled deeper and deeper into the ground with every new installment, this could very well be the Zangief Level 3 super to the entire franchise.

They might as well be making The Matrix All-Stars soccer.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
Oh god that looks terrible. Silent Hill as a series obviously needs to be laid to rest. I'm happy to just play through Silent Hill 2 every now and again.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
It is a spin off and the Silent Hill spin off games are generally bad but most pay little attention to them and besides Downpour was great so im sure no matter how terrible book of memories is it will balance out...

ChaosStep

Dec 28, 2007
Lt._nefarious said:
besides Downpour was great
I started up my second playthrough of Downpour to finish the last achievements. I had to restart it 4 times because I kept spawning in the elevator wall right at the beginning.

I'm not sure which part of Downpour you're referring to as great, but I don't see it.