New Splatoon Video Shows Ranked Mode, Local 1v1 Mode, Amiibos

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
New Splatoon Video Shows Ranked Mode, Local 1v1 Mode, Amiibos

Splatoon will feature a full ranked mode, so hardcore gamers can climb the multiplayer ladder.

Nintendo's upcoming ink-centric "paintball shooter" Splatoon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/splatoon?os=%20splatoon], like the majority of Nintendo's title, has a very casual-friendly feel to it. It's an online multiplayer shooter designed for people who don't usually play online multiplayer shooters. However, that doesn't mean it will have some additional features for the more hardcore inclined Nintendo gamers. Today, Nintendo has released a new video of the title, showing off its ranked mode, alongside some other new features.

Ranked mode functions essentially the same as the casual "Turf Wars" mode, in that both teams are trying to "paint" as much of the map as possible. However, it does have a few extra rules that can be activated, such as "Splat Zones" - in which rather than fight for control of the whole level, players fight for a specific zone within that level.

The next feature shown was the "Battle Dojo". While Splatoon is primarily a 4v4 online multiplayer title, it does actually have a local multiplayer mode. In Battle Dojo, one player plays on the gamepad against another player playing on the TV screen, in a 1v1 battle mode.

Lastly, Nintendo gave a bit more information on this game's a single package [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/amiibo]. The amiibos will unlock special singleplayer missions, which when completed, will give you some cool cosmetic weapons and gears to equip on your multiplayer character.

[gallery=4020]

The Splatoon amiibos will launch on May 29 alongside the game.

Source: Nintendo [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdpi2zpP-lI]

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
And this is what I'd use my Splatton Amiibo for...

IF I HAD ONE!!!!

-------------

Yeah, the 'Miibo pre-orders for these are apparently sold out, and all I can say is I hope Ninty aren't as gloriously incompetent at restocking these as they were the GCN adapters and half the Smash Amiibos. I really want those costumes bad, but not the "Pay 50 bucks to a scalper for a bootleg" bad.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
JET1971 said:
People actually buy those things?
Amiibo are insanely popular, and many models sell out regularly. We have six at my house, and most of them are fully trained-up in Smash. I (23) have two, my sister (21) has three, and my brother (30) has one.

Each one's only $13, so it's easy to pop for another when you have some spare cash. There are stories all around the internet from people who swore they'd never buy any that read along the lines of "help, I've somehow ended up buying twenty amiibo over my past few GameStop visits!"

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
VinLAURiA said:
JET1971 said:
People actually buy those things?
Amiibo are insanely popular, and many models sell out regularly. We have six at my house, and most of them are fully trained-up in Smash. I (23) have two, my sister (21) has three, and my brother (30) has one.

Each one's only $13, so it's easy to pop for another when you have some spare cash. There are stories all around the internet from people who swore they'd never buy any that read along the lines of "help, I've somehow ended up buying twenty amiibo over my past few GameStop visits!"
Yeah, apart from actually having some meaningful features in most Nintendo games (existing and going ahead), they are also pretty nice looking figures. I'm still insanely impressed by my Zelda Amiibo which I probably would have bought even if I didn't have a Wii U or 3DS.

They are cheaper than Skylanders and Disney infinity (in Australia at least), work in multiple games with the promise of all future Nintendo titles supporting amiibo is some way, and they are actually genuinely loved characters for the most part.

Scalpers are making crazy bank reselling the rarer ones. I don't think Nintendo foresaw how insanely popular they would become.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Well, in the US at least, there's been the West Coast port strike going on that is limiting a whole bunch of Japanese imports (not just gaming either, stuff like cars and other genuinely important stuff), so that's been exacerbating the supply problem. The concept itself, though? Excellent move on Nintendo's part; it's been a massive money-maker, and the support for existing figures that people already own will only continue to grow as more and more compatible games happen, so it's not like they're short-lived investments, either.

And yeah, they are genuinely well-made figures. My Smash-line Mario looks fantastic, like right out of the game. And that's the major thing you gotta realize as one of the biggest factors to their success: when they came out, these things were a thirteen-year-old dream [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eajoen8TeT8] come to life. Real-life trophies!

Aineko

Sep 16, 2014
Yeah I'm definitely getting these (if I can find them!), I'm really digging the art style of Splatoon. But the fact that it looks like that their interaction with the game amounts to day one DLC doesn't sit well with me.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I want the green squid one, but the pack with it isn't even up for order anywhere here I can find :(

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
So if I have a male character in Splatoon, I can only use the male amiibo for it, right? Then who do you use the green squid one with?

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
I am still ticked off by the lack of voice chat in Splatoon.

However I will still be getting the game.
I will most likely get the girl Amiibo, however maybe the 3 pack if it isn't too much costing wise.
But chances are, just the girl.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I'm kinda disappointed that the local multiplayer is just 2 players popping balloons (Balloon Fight 3D confirmed!?). It would have been much more interesting if they included a 3-5 player mode with the wiipad user being a sort of game master, like in some of the other asynchronous gameplay aspects Nintendo was gloating about. They are the only company still embracing 3+ player local multiplayer, yet they couldn't do it with the first unique Nintendo shooter since Goldeneye 64.

It's another blow after the announcement of lack of voice chat, in a team based shooter. That's another negative they had to put in something I am interested in. Instead of letting the parents do their jobs, and putting in a parental lock option to disable voice chat (or locking it by default and letting the system owner decide to unlock it), Nintendo had to once again play mom and ruin everyone's fun. It will majorly suck for anyone who doesn't know about Skype or Ventrillo or can't use them where their Wii U is, and will still kinda suck for anyone with those voice clients, as they'll have some random matches without client users on their teams and have to call random people whenever a match begins, unless they have their entire posse with them.

I wonder how much the Amiibo set (or individuals) costs, because even I might be swayed into the craze, if the missions are worth the price of admission. I highly doubt it, though.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Hairless Mammoth said:
I'm kinda disappointed that the local multiplayer is just 2 players popping balloons (Balloon Fight 3D confirmed!?). It would have been much more interesting if they included a 3-5 player mode with the wiipad user being a sort of game master, like in some of the other asynchronous gameplay aspects Nintendo was gloating about. They are the only company still embracing 3+ player local multiplayer, yet they couldn't do it with the first unique Nintendo shooter since Goldeneye 64.

It's another blow after the announcement of lack of voice chat, in a team based shooter. That's another negative they had to put in something I am interested in. Instead of letting the parents do their jobs, and putting in a parental lock option to disable voice chat (or locking it by default and letting the system owner decide to unlock it), Nintendo had to once again play mom and ruin everyone's fun. It will majorly suck for anyone who doesn't know about Skype or Ventrillo or can't use them where their Wii U is, and will still kinda suck for anyone with those voice clients, as they'll have some random matches without client users on their teams and have to call random people whenever a match begins, unless they have their entire posse with them.

I wonder how much the Amiibo set (or individuals) costs, because even I might be swayed into the craze, if the missions are worth the price of admission. I highly doubt it, though.
I say good on no voice chat. I don't need some 10 year old screaming in my ear because I'm not playing the way they want me to play.

Either way, I want this but I hope it's not multiplayer focused.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
RaikuFA said:
I say good on no voice chat. I don't need some 10 year old screaming in my ear because I'm not playing the way they want me to play.

You can mute the annoying brats in every online system I've heard of.[footnote]Then again, leave it to Ninty to leave out an important online tool. No voice chat is better than not being able to mute the little suckers.[/footnote] I actually rarely had to use that feature, when I had xbox Live during Halo's glory days. (Of course, that could be my built up patience from dealing with 5-80 year old brats at my old job and tuning out babies wailing at my in home daycare.) Something tells me that Live was (and probably still is) more of a retched hive than Nintendo's current install base, anyways.

I hate to say it, but Splatoon is multiplayer based. There's a single player campaign that might be worth $60, but I doubt it's very interesting, when the core of the game is online. You might wish to wait for some reviews or hands on time with it before dropping any money.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
RaikuFA said:

Mute them then.
Simple.
The fact is that voice chat being disabled fully is removing the freedom of choice from the player.
In 2015 voice chat is a standard feature, if they want to remove voice chat, they should IMO bring the price of the game down, even by $5.
We should have a CHOICE if we want to hear "10 year old screaming" (which by the way, I know is the stereotype but on my 6 years of Xbox LIVE I have only come across this so called 'common' scenario like 5 times, it barely happens), if you don't want it, cool, press the mute button.
But I find it pretty disgusting that there's no opinion for communication in a online focused game. It reeks of Nintendo trying to control their audience and being backwards as to how things work.
It doesn't bold well to any future support the game might have or how well the servers really will hold up.

But Splatoon IS a multiplayer focused game and as such it should have the features associate with it.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
I totally understand no random voice chat.

No friendly voice-chat, on the other hand, is a really weird omission. The problems you run into with randoms are either circumvented, or aren't really problems with friendlies.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
jackpipsam said:
RaikuFA said:

Mute them then.
Simple.
The fact is that voice chat being disabled fully is removing the freedom of choice from the player.
In 2015 voice chat is a standard feature, if they want to remove voice chat, they should IMO bring the price of the game down, even by $5.
We should have a CHOICE if we want to hear "10 year old screaming" (which by the way, I know is the stereotype but on my 6 years of Xbox LIVE I have only come across this so called 'common' scenario like 5 times, it barely happens), if you don't want it, cool, press the mute button.
But I find it pretty disgusting that there's no opinion for communication in a online focused game. It reeks of Nintendo trying to control their audience and being backwards as to how things work.
It doesn't bold well to any future support the game might have or how well the servers really will hold up.

But Splatoon IS a multiplayer focused game and as such it should have the features associate with it.
It's because they don't want creeps hitting on those 10 year olds. Maybe you don't know of this, but Nintendo cancelled a drawing-sharing app after a big thing involving pedos. They're probably just preemptively preventing that. Gotta save that family-friendly image.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
chadachada123 said:
It's because they don't want creeps hitting on those 10 year olds. Maybe you don't know of this, but Nintendo cancelled a drawing-sharing app after a big thing involving pedos. They're probably just preemptively preventing that. Gotta save that family-friendly image.
Maybe Nintendo should have done that thing I said above, where the chat is locked by default until the person with the parental password unlocks it. I know the kids shouldn't be punished by being exposed to those sickos, but why should the adult fanbase also suffer.

I still understand that no system is idiot proof. I believe all three console makers got glowing praise for their child protection locks in their software, but the same review board said it was useless when the parent let's their little kids do whatever with no supervision other than "Derp, here's a game thing little Timmy. Oh, you need the wifi password and my credit card number. Here's all of that and all of our social security numbers."

Watch your kids or don't breed, people. Because of idiots and Ninty brand paranoia, we spent the last gen exchanging 16 digit missile arming codes to play with our Wii and DS friends online. Now, Nintendo's first foray into shooters in years is behind the times by 15 years.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
skylog said:
So if I have a male character in Splatoon, I can only use the male amiibo for it, right? Then who do you use the green squid one with?
What the amiibo do is unlock optional gear & challenges. It doesn't matter what gender your inkling is.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
chadachada123 said:
Yeah one reported innocent and they took down the app for the ENTIRE 3DS using audience. That app was innocent and they killed off a perfectly good 3DS cute mail thing because of a single innocent. You think I approve of that?
Imagine if Facebook was shut down because of that kind of thing? Twitter? YouTube? Tumblr? Forums?
Simply we'd have nothing on the internet if that took up 100% of concern.

Also Splatoon is very close to EA's "Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare", despite that game having mainly players who are under 15 (you can tell by the microphones), nothing has happened with it and I give kudos to EA for not treating their players with contempt for stopping voice chat.

It is NOT Nintendo's job to parent, if parents don't want their children using voice chat, then they should able to change it within the child settings as is the case with every half-decent device.

For Nintendo to remove the option entirely is them treating their customers with pure contempt.