New Star Trek Series Boldly Goes Into Production

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
New Star Trek Series Boldly Goes Into Production

Star Trek will beam... I mean, stream... onto a new series in 2017.

Long before Star Trek was a JJ Abrams franchise starring <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139200-Star-Trek-3-To-Be-Directed-by-Justin-Lin-of-Fast-Furious>Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, and lens flare, it made its home on American television sets. The original series - which debuted in 1966 - was deeply influential to science-fiction and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161197-Scientists-Have-Invented-a-Real-Tractor-Beam-that-Uses-Sound-So-Can-It-Work-in-Space>the development of actual science, prompting multiple spin-offs that were classics in their own right. Sadly, we haven't seen a Star Trek TV series since 2005's Enterprise, but the times might finally be changing. Producer Alex Kurtzman will relaunch the series on CBS All Access in January 2017, just a few months after Star Trek's 50th anniversary.

"There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show's 50th anniversary celebration," President of CBS Television Studios David Stapf said. "Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we're excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately."

This Star Trek series will follow the adventures of a new Federation crew, presumably within 2009's rebooted universe. According to CBS, the series is based around "seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966". Star Trek will have a preview broadcast on television in January, followed by an exclusive US streaming run on CBS All Access.

While I personally enjoyed the 2009 reboot, getting back to Star Trek's sense of discovery and exploration is immensely exciting. These are themes far more suited to serialized formats than Paramount's latest films, allowing crews to actually study the final frontier instead of defending Earth from military threats. The only problem is that CBS' streaming service is a US-exclusive - there are many international Star Trek fans who will be disappointed by that detail.

Are you looking forward to a new Star Trek series? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Source: Deadline

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Fanghawk said:
Star Trek will beam... I mean, steam...
You mean, stream ?
This could be cool, if and when it comes to some kind of streaming service here in northern Europe. Whenever I've considered picking up any of the previous series, I've had a bajillion seasons to binge through, something I simply don't have the time to. But following series on a weekly basis is somewhat easier for me to handle.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"presumably within 2009's rebooted universe."

My thought process:
New Star Trek series? FFFFFF YES!!!!! Finally!
Rebooted universe? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Seriously, I'd hate that SO much. :'(

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I am totally on board with the IDEA of a new Trek series.

The question is whether they can give it what it deserves. The new Trek movies are ok in movie form, but if you want to go back to the TV series, Star Trek needs and deserves it's slower paced and more philosophical approach.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Fanghawk said:
followed by an exclusive US streaming run on CBS All Access.
Fuck you, CBS.
It's almost as if they don't want my money.
Oh well, hopefully it will end up on Netflix or something.

OT:
Apart from the aforementioned streaming issue, I'm pretty excited about a new Star Trek series!

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Star Trek will beam... I mean, stream... onto a new series in 2017.
Yes, finally.

This Star Trek series will follow the adventures of a new Federation crew
New ship, new crew wonder what era this is gonna be set in, post DS9, post Voyager, maybe something between the original and next gen, who knows quite a lot of universe to explore here could be interesting....

presumably within 2009's rebooted universe
....then again maybe not.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Awesome! finally a new series

"presumably within 2009's rebooted universe"

*Loads round into gun chamber and aims at head* its come to this...

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Star Trek as a mythos, aesthetic, set of icons, whathaveyou, is worth retaining and building upon.

Star Trek as a brand name is consistently the one thing that can get nerds to acknowledge any sort of social ills.

Star Trek as a singular, ongoing narrative stretching back to 1966 has done more damage to those points than good and I don?t see that changing in the near future.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I like Michael Dorn's idea of a new Star Trek series with Worf as the main protagonist. This series could be good too, but there is a lot of potential left to explore in the original universe with even some of the original actors. Nemesis not being a great commercial success doesn't mean there isn't lots left to explore.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I shouldn't laugh, really I shouldn't, but having successfully given up on Star Trek some time ago, it's sorta funny when something like this happens.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:

My thought process:

Same. I really want something in the style of then 90's treks.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Kenjitsuka said:

My thought process:

As a Star Wars fan, I feel your pain.

What is it with JJ and carpet bombing canon? He's doing the Stargate reboot too :p. I hope he never gets his hands on Dr Who.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
Kenjitsuka said:

My thought process:

I don't even know why they are so determined to call it Star Trek if it's going to be based on that crap. Just call it "generic sci-fi action that we really, really want you to watch."

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
It's about time!

Fanghawk said:
presumably within 2009's rebooted universe.
Sigh.

Enough real world time has passed since Star Trek last aired on television that they can do as much of a time skip as they like, leaving themselves only as bound to the original canon as they wish to be. I doubt the revival of Doctor Who would have lasted as long as it has - ten years and counting - had it not had such a rich heritage to draw from.

There is nothing to the reboot universe of Star Trek. It's shallow and superficial and has nothing of its own to say - seeing as by the second film they were already reduced to doing an inferior remake of a recognised classic.